Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft responds to Windows 10 privacy concerns

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Microsoft responds to Windows 10 privacy concerns

New blog post talks about what data may be collected, and why.
    Read more.

Spreadie

Re: Microsoft responds to Windows 10 privacy concerns

The problem, as I see it, is that fact that Windows 10 privacy settings default to "opt-in", rather than "opt-out". If the settings are in our best interests, why doesn't Microsft make a valid case for people switching them on, rather than make us jump through hoops to switch them off!

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadie View Post
    The problem, as I see it, is that fact that Windows 10 privacy settings default to "opt-in", rather than "opt-out". If the settings are in our best interests, why doesn't Microsft make a valid case for people switching them on, rather than make us jump through hoops to switch them off!
    Yeah, because it's sooo hard to use these switches (you are asked whether you want defaults or your own settings) during OS installation...

Thanks

Question: How can a device ID be anonymous, isn't the very nature of an ID to identify someone or something, if so how can it be anonymous? They say steps are taken to avoid information that might directly identify the user but does that mean indirectly identify the user is OK?

Also if their not scanning the content of my email or other communications, or my files, in order to deliver targeted advertising, then what is the recently added (I believe on the fast ring) suggestions feature in the startmenu, is that not advertising apps from the app store?

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    Question: How can a device ID be anonymous, isn't the very nature of an ID to identify someone or something, if so how can it be anonymous? They say steps are taken to avoid information that might directly identify the user but does that mean indirectly identify the user is OK?
    Essentially, yes - you can identify the device, or even a user ID no problem, as long as there is no similarity between said ID and any personally identifying information. Same in the medical world - as long as a patients ID number bears no relation to any personally identifying feature of the patient then you can bandy the ID about pretty well as much you like. Only a problem if some kid is named 1567812

Seriously casual gamer KeyboardDemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    • KeyboardDemon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k + Corsair H80 (Refurbed)
      • Memory:
      • 16gb (4x4gb) Corsair Vengence Red (1866mhz) - (Because it looks good in a black mobo)
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M550 SSD 1TB + 2x 500GB Seagate HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 (Warranty replacement for 780Ti SC ACX)
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750 watt SuperNova G2
      • Case:
      • Silverstone RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity (40mbs dl/10mbs ul)

Anonymised telemetry data that could be used to resolve driver, software or potential security risks doesn't seem like a bad thing to me.

A personal profile that helps me find specific results for searches based on previous search history could be both useful and also intrusive. I can think of one potential scenario here for example when searching for surprise wedding anniversary presents or birthday presents for my wife I most certainly wouldn't want any trace of those results coming up into view when my wife is using the PC, however it could be quite handy to search for things I want her to buy me as when she uses the PC she will see ads that are tailored to my previous search history but might not know she is seeing that GTX980Ti as a result of my having completed 10's or 100's of searches for it. lol

IMHO we are going to have live with advertising on the internet moving forward, I prefer the idea of having my ads targeted so that I am not being constantly bombarded by ads for things that I have no interest in at all, I like that some services such as Facebook let me tell them when I don't like an ad so that it doesn't get displayed again, or even when I don't want to see posts from a particular app or person. Targeting ads means that advertisers can reach the people they want to reach in the most cost effective way possible, not targeting ads could potentially end up costing advertising more when they want to tell people like me about their latest GTX980Ti cards which in turn could drive up the price of that card. So while I am not keen on having too much personal information about me being disclosed, I am also not very keen having to pay more for products to cover the costs so advertisers can find more creative ways to find me or on seeing advertising for dog grooming products, though my neighbour would love to see those as she found that a GTX980Ti doesn't really help bring her Afghan Hound up to pedigree show standards.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

I'm sure there will still be a lot of tinfoil hat wearers who will swear this is more smoke and mirrors so that Microsoft can keep an eye on their activities....
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

8. Received thanks from:

KeyboardDemon (29-09-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    Essentially, yes - you can identify the device, or even a user ID no problem, as long as there is no similarity between said ID and any personally identifying information. Same in the medical world - as long as a patients ID number bears no relation to any personally identifying feature of the patient then you can bandy the ID about pretty well as much you like. Only a problem if some kid is named 1567812
    So does that mean in effect it's not anonymised data? It seems more like pseudonymised data in that it could allow tracking back the data to a specific users or person, using things like IP, logon name, app store details, etc, etc. That's not to say Microsoft is doing that, just that it would/could be possible if it needed to be done.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

So does that mean in effect it's not anonymised data, it seems more like pseudonymised data in that it could allow tracking back the data to a specific users or person, using things like IP, logon name, app store details, etc, etc. That's not to say Microsoft is doing that, just that it would/could be possible if it needed to be done.
    Unless it is stored WITH the IP and/or AppStoreID and/or personal details, then its anonymous.

Of course, in the future they could turn on saving that additional data and then that could be linked to past datasets.....

But as I've been saying for a while, they will never do this as long as they have enterprise customers.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Quote Originally Posted by KeyboardDemon View Post
    Anonymised telemetry data that could be used to resolve driver, software or potential security risks doesn't seem like a bad thing to me.
    'Anonymised telemetry data' is doublespeak for 'doesn't contain your name'. That doesn't mean you can't be tracked down with the information the communication delivers and infers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

So does that mean in effect it's not anonymised data? It seems more like pseudonymised data in that it could allow tracking back the data to a specific users or person, using things like IP, logon name, app store details, etc, etc. That's not to say Microsoft is doing that, just that it would/could be possible if it needed to be done.
    As soon as you stored someone's logon name then that would be a breach since it is potentially personally identifying. IP should be fine since it's not personally identifying without further information, however ease of getting that information means you tend not to use it for individuals, only to group people together for example to say users from a certain country (as long as there are enough that the characteristics are effectively anonymised just by numbers). There are a whole bunch of caveats to using IP numbers that I'm sure MS are more than aware off too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    Unless it is stored WITH the IP and/or AppStoreID and/or personal details, then its anonymous.
    That's not how I understand the terms anonymised and pseudonymised, afaik anonymised means the level of detail is reduced rendering a reverse compilation impossible, while pseudonymised means it contains a level of detail that should allow tracking back of the data, like IP, app store details, etc, etc.

It seems almost impossible to me that a device ID uniquely identifying a device couldn't be used in tracking data back to a unique users, that's if they/someone wanted to, again not saying that is happening just saying it could/would be possible.
    Last edited by Corky34; 29-09-2015 at 11:30 AM.

Spreadie

Quote Originally Posted by enemys View Post
    Yeah, because it's sooo hard to use these switches (you are asked whether you want defaults or your own settings) during OS installation...
    No, not all of the privacy options are available to you at installation, but thanks for the snotty attitude nonetheless.

Thanks
    • epiqpwnage's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 7
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-4790K
      • Memory:
      • kingston hyperx fury 8gb ddr3 1866mhz x2
      • Storage:
      • Samsung SSD 850 EVO 2.5" SATA III 120GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS STRIX GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic S12II-620 Bronze 80Plus Power Supply 620watts
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Versa H25
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1

Quote Originally Posted by enemys View Post
    Your sarcastic douche tone aside, don't you know that not all users install their own OS? That some people buy PCs/Tabs/smartphones with preinstalled OS?

Don't you know that not all privacy issues are not resolved by switching off those in the installation? Of course you don't know that...you just pretend you know it all. Try googling other ways to disable privacy issues in windows 10.

Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

It seems almost impossible to me that a device ID uniquely identifying a device couldn't be used in tracking data back to a unique users, that's if they/someone wanted to, again not saying that is happening just saying it could/would be possible.
    Not without other information, and it's that other information that would be the subject of a breach of privacy, eg associating a device ID to a username, or email etc.

Thanks
    • YazX's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 3770k @ 4.5 Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Crucial Tactical Tracer DDR3 16 GB
      • Storage:
      • 128 GB Samsung SSD, 256 GB Crucial SSD, 4 TB Caviar Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNova G1 1000W
      • Case:
      • CM Haf-X
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Qnix 27" 2560x1440
      • Internet:
      • 16 Mbps

those options are just the surface, there are alot of spying crap under the hood, go to mydigitallife forums and there are plenty of scripts to disable everything, people who wrote those scripts monitored the packets sent from their PCs and discovered that those options are just a fraction of whats going on.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information