Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows will be third placed OS ecosystem by 2017 says Gartner

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Windows will be third placed OS ecosystem by 2017 says Gartner

Apple devices will edge past Windows to go second place to Google.
    Read more.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Windows will be third placed OS ecosystem by 2017 says Gartner

It's not even the marketsize, it's the engagement.

What is amazing is the 'low friction' people have for mobile apps, compared with desktop ones. Something that people wouldn't bother with on a desktop, they would for a mobile device.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Hmm, I'd not be so quick to write off MS. From what I've seen the Surface line has a LOT of respect and surely there's a halo effect from that. Sure the Lumia's haven't exactly set the world on fire, but I'm 100% convinced that MS has been caught in that app store chicken-and-egg setup where people ignore Lumia's because of lack of apps, but developers ignore it because of the lack of demand.

Am I right in thinking that Gartner's looking purely at consumer devices? I don't see any mention of server devices (which surely are still part of the "ecosystem") where Microsoft would do very well, and conversely Google and Apple wouldn't.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    Hmm, I'd not be so quick to write off MS. From what I've seen the Surface line has a LOT of respect and surely there's a halo effect from that. Sure the Lumia's haven't exactly set the world on fire, but I'm 100% convinced that MS has been caught in that app store chicken-and-egg setup where people ignore Lumia's because of lack of apps, but developers ignore it because of the lack of demand.

Am I right in thinking that Gartner's looking purely at consumer devices? I don't see any mention of server devices (which surely are still part of the "ecosystem") where Microsoft would do very well, and conversely Google and Apple wouldn't.
    Or is it that the sheer number of new handsets completely dwarf the number of new servers to the point where they make hardly any difference to the numbers?

As we move forward, a certain amount of the server market will start to move towards ARM......meaning less Windows in that segment.....unless we see WinRT Server to try and combat it.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks

What shaithis said, i think smartphones out number conventional computers (servers, desktops, notebooks, 2 in 1's) by something like 3 to 1.

Thanks

This whole article is a bit lop sided really, most people have a phone where as the need for a computer has dropped slightly and we are returning to the days of a single PC in a household.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bae85 View Post
    This whole article is a bit lop sided really, most people have a phone where as the need for a computer has dropped slightly and we are returning to the days of a single PC in a household.
    Why would you need a PC when your phone can be your PC, phone, etc.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by abaxas View Post
    That's the point I'm making.

Thanks

People replace their phones a lot more frequently than they replace their computers!

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    Or is it that the sheer number of new handsets completely dwarf the number of new servers to the point where they make hardly any difference to the numbers? As we move forward, a certain amount of the server market will start to move towards ARM......meaning less Windows in that segment.....unless we see WinRT Server to try and combat it.
    Not going to disagree - I guess the point I was making (badly - it's been a long day, so cut me some slack) was that there's more to an "OS ecosystem" than merely the latest "shiny shiny" in your flash mate's sweaty mitt or the desk jewellery on the bosses polished teak "workstation".

If ARM continues to march into the datacentres at the rate I'm seeing blades being dropped in, then I think a Windows Server 2016/ARM is not merely likely, but a certainty. To be honest, MS would be stark staring daft not to.

I'm also not 100% convinced by the "pundits" who are claiming that more powerful phones is going to see the death of the laptop, tablet and desktop. Sure, stuff like Continuum will blur the lines, but I'm pretty sure that none of the "PC gaming elite" are going to give up their watercooled, SLI setups in favour of iPhone7 or whatever totters out of Google-bet.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Banned
    Thanks

I'm also not 100% convinced by the "pundits" who are claiming that more powerful phones is going to see the death of the laptop, tablet and desktop. Sure, stuff like Continuum will blur the lines, but I'm pretty sure that none of the "PC gaming elite" are going to give up their watercooled, SLI setups in favour of iPhone7 or whatever totters out of Google-bet.
    Lets look at it this way.....

The new iphone 6s is similar in perf to a low end i3 with an elcrapo intel igpu.

So why is this different to a desktop pc with a low end i3 and an elcrapo intel gpu? It isn't, other than you tend not to plug in a keyboard and monitor to it.

But then you ask about the 'pc gaming elite/plebs(delete depening on your point of view)'. This, sadly, can't exist in a world where all the bottom end 'desktop pcs' have been replaced by other devices. Intel/AMD make money from volume not selling £500 quid CPUs, without it there simply is no high end.

PC, as we know it, is dead and it's being replaced by commodity items.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by abaxas View Post
    Because while (particularly) large phablet devices are good and i use my latest more than ever, it does not replace the full screen experience of a desktop monitor or the ease of use of a full size keyboard.
    Desktops/Laptops/Tablets will still have their place, just be less of them around.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Fun data: From this it seems that 1.6B Android devices will ship, of which 19% will be dropped down the toilet: http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/study-19...s-down-toilet/

I make that 304M nice new devices sploshed down the bend, almost as many as the 359M total Windows devices shipped.

That is just the ones shipped this year, so given the Android installed base is much larger than that there must be more Android devices meeting a watery doom per year than Microsoft ship in total

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    Or is it that the sheer number of new handsets completely dwarf the number of new servers to the point where they make hardly any difference to the numbers?

As we move forward, a certain amount of the server market will start to move towards ARM......meaning less Windows in that segment.....unless we see WinRT Server to try and combat it.
    Servers are dominated by Linux, not Windows, one of the things that makes ARM servers viable. If you look at the support list of past Windows versions, at some point every major and some minor processor has had native Windows support, but it only lasts a few years before Microsoft pull the plug. No-one in their right mind would install Windows onto anything other than AMD64, but thankfully Linux has a good stable support of pretty much everything so servers are fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Myss_tree View Post
    Because while (particularly) large phablet devices are good and i use my latest more than ever, it does not replace the full screen experience of a desktop monitor or the ease of use of a full size keyboard.
    Desktops/Laptops/Tablets will still have their place, just be less of them around.
    A bluetooth keyboard and mouse plus a miracast display can make your phone work much like a desktop today without it even leaving your pocket.

14. Received thanks from:

Corky34 (02-10-2015)

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Not going to disagree - I guess the point I was making (badly - it's been a long day, so cut me some slack) was that there's more to an "OS ecosystem" than merely the latest "shiny shiny" in your flash mate's sweaty mitt or the desk jewellery on the bosses polished teak "workstation".
    Indeed, although there is only one company that has really managed to get the idea of an eco-system into users heads and that's a certain brain-washing fruity fashion company.

I really do not see Microsoft selling an eco-system....yet. Maybe they will in the future but I don't know a single person (including myself who has embraced Windows since 3.0) that has purchased a Windows Phone or tablet to integrate it with their desktop (likewise I don't know anyone who has purchased a Chromebook). For the most part, both windows and android devices are stand-alone.

If ARM continues to march into the datacentres at the rate I'm seeing blades being dropped in, then I think a Windows Server 2016/ARM is not merely likely, but a certainty. To be honest, MS would be stark staring daft not to.
    Indeed.....I just have that nagging feeling that just like mobile, Microsoft may be leaving it too late......you really need to get out in front of new tech...or if your going to be late to the party, you need to arrive with a massive splash.

Indeed but with Vulkan coming, we may see Microsoft hold of the gaming market start to erode. It's a really dodgy time for Microsoft IMO.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Myss_tree View Post
    Ermmm, what would happen if you plugged a monitor /keyboard/mouse into your phone/tablet/etc.

Wouldn't that just be a desktop PC ?

Thanks

Would it be a phabtop, or maybe a deskblet.

18. Received thanks from:

crossy (02-10-2015),mikerr (06-10-2015)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information