Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intel readying Skull Canyon NUC for Q1 2016?

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Intel readying Skull Canyon NUC for Q1 2016?

Sporting Iris Pro graphics, for starters.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Intel readying Skull Canyon NUC for Q1 2016?

I'd be interested in this, but I don't see it working as a hardcore gaming machine. Perhaps something you could leave in another room, or at a relatives house. That way it could be 'just a small PC' to them and you could also do some gaming when you visit.

Thanks

The current Broadwell Iris Pro is about half the speed of a 750/750ti. This one has 50% more EUs than that one, plus a couple of percent for architecture improvements so I'd expect around 75-80% of the speed of a R7 360/750/750ti

Performance wise it's likely to be acceptable for an entry level gaming system, but will it be sufficiently cheap? And will this coincide with Intel's support for Adaptive Sync? That would definitely improve it's attractiveness.

Although personally I'll probably wait for rivals, I'd prefer a miniPC where I didn't need quite such much external clobber (Power supply, MiniDP to DP Adapter, USB hub etc.)

Thanks

As an HTPC (but slotted into a fanless case) the NUC range has been very good, maybe not perfect for the true AV fan but for the rest of us, good enough. An excellent Kodi box for the living room

Thanks
    • zaph0d's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X570-A Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
      • Memory:
      • 48GB - 2X 32GB and 2X 16GB at 3200
      • Storage:
      • 480GB NVME (OS) 2TB 8 Drive sas Raid0 (Games)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce 1070
      • PSU:
      • 1000W Coolermaster
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-343B (Original Model)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2X 55" Samsung 4k tv's
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 500Mb

This could make for an exceleent Arcade/Console emulation box. Or even as the core of a full cabinet system. Failing that it would make an excellent HTPC and Plex Media Server.

Thanks

Don't see the advantage of this over an ARM-based system. Too expensive for what you get and useless for gaming. It's like the netbook of the HTPCs.

rainman

Quote Originally Posted by zaph0d View Post
    This could make for an exceleent Arcade/Console emulation box. Or even as the core of a full cabinet system. Failing that it would make an excellent HTPC and Plex Media Server.
    I already have a Broadwell based Core i5 NUC under my TV which also runs some software to run my reef aquarium. It already makes for an excellent HTPC. It will already play 4K video with no problems. Gaming is different though. For my own requirements Skull Canyon would be overkill but I would still be interested to see what it delivers.

rainman

Quote Originally Posted by Nifl View Post
    Don't see the advantage of this over an ARM-based system. Too expensive for what you get and useless for gaming. It's like the netbook of the HTPCs.
    You can't compare i3/i5 performance to ARM. Plus you're not constrained by software availability of the ARM platform. It's a PC, not a beefed up ARM box running Maldroid like an Nvidia shield.

You don't get many netbooks with i3 or i5 in them. A better comparison is an Ultrabook, and as folk know that own an ultrabook they're pretty useful tools that will do some real work - just because they're not going run Crysis terribly well doesn't mean they don't fill other requirements.

Thanks

128mb eDram against 2GB GDDR5 and there here is the catch...the super-slow 1600mhz DDR3 which is inter-connected to THE 128mb edram so this makes it automaticaly 80% the performance of 750Ti.....!!! hehe strange comment there

Registered+
    Thanks

:S Is nices if you dont play games, just for work, if you dont want to pay a complete graphic card.

Thanks
    • devBunny's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P9X79 Pro
      • CPU:
      • i7-3930
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston HyperX
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 830
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2 x GTX 560Ti
      • PSU:
      • OCZ ZX1000W Gold
      • Case:
      • Xigmatek Elysium
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 and Win XP in VMs
      • Monitor(s):
      • 3 x Dell 2410M 1920x1200 IPS

"Skull Canyon"? Would anyone really buy it because that name tips the balance towards handing over the cash? For me it's the opposite. I've been watching the NUC scene for some time but if this becomes the high-end choice then I'll wait (or look) for something without a bull**** macho marketing label. "Skull canyon" just spells cringe factor and I'll more than happily forego that, thanks.

If I were to be seduced by a "concept" then it would be something more like "Rainbow Canyon". At least then I'd be able to assume that it can handle colour rather than being limited to monochrome. ;o)

Thanks

With only one reason I couldn't use ARM solutions: no x86 support
    Now I am using an Asrock N3000 NUC, it's fanless, tiny, power efficient and cheap solution and still can use triple 4K output. Gaming is not very great but still impress me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by devBunny View Post
    "Skull Canyon"? Would anyone really buy it because that name tips the balance towards handing over the cash? For me it's the opposite. I've been watching the NUC scene for some time but if this becomes the high-end choice then I'll wait (or look) for something without a bull**** macho marketing label. "Skull canyon" just spells cringe factor and I'll more than happily forego that, thanks.

If I were to be seduced by a "concept" then it would be something more like "Rainbow Canyon". At least then I'd be able to assume that it can handle colour rather than being limited to monochrome. ;o)
    HEHE....rainbow canyon... try running Witcher 3 at full HD then we will know!

Thanks
    • bronan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock Z97 Extreme 6
      • CPU:
      • Intel I4790
      • Memory:
      • 16 Gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 32 Tb usb3 (ext 8 drive case)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4 x AMD R9 390x watercooled
      • PSU:
      • 1600 watt EVGA
      • Case:
      • Stacker Server case
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 3 x dell 30 " 2560x1440
      • Internet:
      • vdsl 80/10

lol sorry but intel never will make anything worth looking at for gaming, they simply do not have the balls. They can not produce anything speedy without breaking one of the real gpu makers patents. Or step on the toes of those 2 real performance makers if they choose one of the 2.
    If they would make a deal it instant becomes a hot topic and would probably end in several courts for unfair business.
    These little boxes are handy for companies because they can run word and excel and thats in most cases more than enough. Actually thats what they should focus on. I tried to play a few of my old games on them and could not run them as i like them to run. So for gaming even this new model would not make it much better unless they made a deal with nvidia. And that makes it for me instant a dishonest and shady deal.
    But its expected that they will to kill amd out of business to have full control of the whole it industry
    Last edited by bronan; 10-12-2015 at 11:51 AM.

SteveWilliams

If it lets me get my work done and will play FFXIV Online with decent settings. Absolutely.

Thanks

Far from useless. It'll run 95% of the PC games released that year at desktop resolution, probably more. It's only a few of the more demanding ones that it'll struggle with.

Quote Originally Posted by lumireleon View Post
    128mb eDram against 2GB GDDR5 and there here is the catch...the super-slow 1600mhz DDR3 which is inter-connected to THE 128mb edram so this makes it automaticaly 80% the performance of 750Ti.....!!! hehe strange comment there
    This is a premium skylake system, so it'll have DDR4-2666. That has 40GB/s bandwidth in dual channel. A GTX 750's GDDR5 has about 80GB/s. Combine that with the eDram cache and I wouldn't bet on too much memory throttling.

Quote Originally Posted by devBunny View Post
    Something Canyon is a common Intel codename. A lot of them have been named after ferocious animals (Bear Canyon) but we've had a few harmless ones too (Palm Canyon).

Quote Originally Posted by lumireleon View Post
    HEHE....rainbow canyon... try running Witcher 3 at full HD then we will know!
    It's getting closer. I think broadwell gets 15fps+ so with 50%+ extra performance you're not far off playable levels for an RPG.

Quote Originally Posted by bronan View Post
    lol sorry but intel never will make anything worth looking at for gaming, they simply do not have the balls. They can not produce anything speedy without breaking one of the real gpu makers patents. Or step on the toes of those 2 real performance makers if they choose one of the 2.
    If they would make a deal it instant becomes a hot topic and would probably end in several courts for unfair business.
    You're missing the size factor. Intel's Broadwell GT3 is approximately 85mm². A comparable AMD chip would be Oland or a comparable nVidia chip probably GM108.

Go and look and see how Iris 6100 and Iris Pro 6200 compares to the 840M, 930M, M260X, M265 and M360 and then tell me Intel can't design something speedy. Arguably they're not quite there yet, but they're damn close.

Intel may be holding back on scaling it up to larger and more powerful out of respect for their competitors but they could equally be playing the long game. Producing excellent, low power chips until gamers and game developers wake up to the fact that when everything is is shrinking in power consumption, having a mid-range graphics card pull well over a hundred watts is absurd.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information