Thread: LG demos flagship G5 smartphone

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

LG demos flagship G5 smartphone

Tom Everington shows off the handset's UI, camera and modular potential.
    Watch the show..

Thanks
    • j.o.s.h.1408's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P6T Delux
      • CPU:
      • Intel core i7 920 @ 3ghz
      • Memory:
      • 3GB DDR RAM
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung F1, 500GB Seagate baracuda + 320gb Seagate PATA +150GB WD PATA
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 480GTX SC edition
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12 600W Module PSU FTW
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A7010B (the rolls royce of pc cases)
      • Operating System:
      • vista ultimate edition and windows xp
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22inch 2005FPW dell monitor
      • Internet:
      • 24mb BE There Broadband

Re: LG demos flagship G5 smartphone

nice

Thanks

XDA Developers have found that the app drawer is actually still there (on these display models at least), there are two stock launchers, one with and one without.

4. Received thanks from:

crossy (24-02-2016)

Thanks

A lot of people have been calling this phone ugly, and from the renders I could see why, but it actually looks pretty nice in a real person's hand. The software's a lot better than the G4's too - good to see.

Thanks

It would have been nice if they put a bigger battery in it. Yes, it is removable, but the main reason I like removable battery is less so that I can replace them during the day / if it eventually dies (though both reason IS a plus over non-removable batteries), but so that I can replace them with a bigger, longer lasting battery. Still, at least one of the announced module will add a bit of extra capacity.

The other thing I am a bit concerned about, is how vulnerable it is to water. I know that it is not designed to be water resistant like the S7, but my non-water resistant Galaxy S3 has held pretty well in my snowboard pants even in days where it get so wet that some water seeps in.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Otherhand View Post
    A lot of people have been calling this phone ugly, and from the renders I could see why, but it actually looks pretty nice in a real person's hand. The software's a lot better than the G4's too - good to see.
    Hmm, I'm thinking that it really depends on the colour you pick, with the lighter colours looking worse. That said, even on a good day it's still going to end up as the Galaxy S7 Edge's uglier cousin.
    Quote Originally Posted by TooNice View Post
    It would have been nice if they put a bigger battery in it. Yes, it is removable, but the main reason I like removable battery is less so that I can replace them during the day / if it eventually dies (though both reason IS a plus over non-removable batteries), but so that I can replace them with a bigger, longer lasting battery. Still, at least one of the announced module will add a bit of extra capacity.
    I agree with you on that. But I'm thinking that the modular design actually will make it easier to do these horrendous capacity extended batteries, a la ZeroLemon and others. I was actually thinking of something similar to the current camera module, but solely devoted to extending the battery life. And if that module also included Qi charging then that'd make it doubly attractive in my book.
    The other thing I am a bit concerned about, is how vulnerable it is to water. I know that it is not designed to be water resistant like the S7, but my non-water resistant Galaxy S3 has held pretty well in my snowboard pants even in days where it get so wet that some water seeps in.
    Difficult to say - but I have seen some reports that the modules clip in quite tightly. In which case that surely bodes well for some splash resistance? With my G3 (and the S3 that preceeded it) I use one of those Proporta lanyard/bag things. Which was good enough to resist a dousing courtesy of the Jurrassic Park ride in Orlando last year.

I'm really disappointed that the looks are pretty ... well ... plain verging on "ugly". I'm also less than impressed with the lack of wireless charging (which I use extensively with my G3). Smaller screen too. Final straw is the flat back, since I found the G3/G4's curved back really quite comfortable, a flat back sounds too much like aping Samsung, Apple et al (as is the step back to metal construction in my book).

It'll be interesting to see how LG sell this - I think the key thing is going to be the modules/Friends. If these are priced very aggressively and/or a wide range becomes available then that could make the '5 a success. I quite fancy the B&O module, but I'm confident that this'll be half the price of the phone (or more?). So if I don't go for a G5 then I'm figuring on holding on the ole G3 for a mite longer and seeing what Autumn/Fall brings - perhaps a new Nexus or perhaps a V10 successor?

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    I agree with you on that. But I'm thinking that the modular design actually will make it easier to do these horrendous capacity extended batteries, a la ZeroLemon and others. I was actually thinking of something similar to the current camera module, but solely devoted to extending the battery life. And if that module also included Qi charging then that'd make it doubly attractive in my book.
    [...]
    It'll be interesting to see how LG sell this - I think the key thing is going to be the modules/Friends. If these are priced very aggressively and/or a wide range becomes available then that could make the '5 a success. I quite fancy the B&O module, but I'm confident that this'll be half the price of the phone (or more?). So if I don't go for a G5 then I'm figuring on holding on the ole G3 for a mite longer and seeing what Autumn/Fall brings - perhaps a new Nexus or perhaps a V10 successor?
    Yeah, I also thought of, and am hoping for a dedicated battery module. But this will depend on whether LG is going to be clever with this. They shouldn't try to play Apple's game. That is to say, they shouldn't keep the interface proprietary and allow 3rd party makers to make modules. OR, if they make it proprietary, then the stuff needs to be pretty darn good and not Apple priced.

To be honest, even if they do everything right, I think that it is going to be a pretty risky design. Personally, I don't think that we will see many people bother to buy and carry a whole bunch of modules. Even if it allowed hot-swapping (and it doesn't - requiring a power down each time) I'd see find it too much hassle. I suspect that most people will end up sticking with one module that they will leave it attached. I suppose that it does add a bit of "customisation" to the phone, but if they can't shift a lot of volume, it will be harder for them to make them cheap :/

I'm really disappointed that the looks are pretty ... well ... plain verging on "ugly". I'm also less than impressed with the lack of wireless charging (which I use extensively with my G3). Smaller screen too. Final straw is the flat back, since I found the G3/G4's curved back really quite comfortable, a flat back sounds too much like aping Samsung, Apple et al (as is the step back to metal construction in my book).

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    Fortunately, I don't share too many of those concerns. I am not bothered by the look for a mobile phone. Coming from an S3, the screen is a size up (if anything, I am concerned about how much harder it will be for me to use with one hand). I've also not been spoilt by wireless charging (and wonder how it affects charging speed).

Will wait for reviews before I decide, but my S3 is getting long in the tooth in hardware and software and the G5 seems to be the closest to ticking all the boxes I care about (removable battery, microSD, a lot of memory) this generation.

One last thing I will say though, is that I applaud LG for taking risk and trying to shake things up a bit.
    Last edited by TooNice; 25-02-2016 at 08:17 AM.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Yeah, I also thought of, and am hoping for a dedicated battery module. But this will depend on whether LG is going to be clever with this. They shouldn't try to play Apple's game. That is to say, they shouldn't keep the interface proprietary and allow 3rd party makers to make modules. OR, if they make it proprietary, then the stuff needs to be pretty darn good and not Apple priced.
    I'll agree 100% with what you're saying. According to what I saw in the keynote (I watched it live on YouTube, how sad is that?) while the design is definitely proprietary there was a "reading between the lines" that LG's intention is that 3rd parties pick this up and run with it. For LG's sake I hope they're right, otherwise all the folks poking fun at "yet another wacky LG feature that no-one wants" are going to be proved right. Maybe the B&O module is a poor example, since I get the impression that B&O merely "advised" and provided technology transfer, whereas what is needed is the ability for Acme etc to build an entire module. Perhaps some kind of (simple & fast) LG certification is what's needed.
    To be honest, even if they do everything right, I think that it is going to be a pretty risky design. Personally, I don't think that we will see many people bother to buy and carry a whole bunch of modules. Even if it allowed hot-swapping (and it doesn't - requiring a power down each time) I'd see find it too much hassle. I suspect that most people will end up sticking with one module that they will leave it attached. I suppose that it does add a bit of "customisation" to the phone, but if they can't shift a lot of volume, it will be harder for them to make them cheap :/
    I don't think you're supposed to keep swapping those modules (wear on the connections?). The camera module in particular I'd assume that you'd swap to of a weekend or if you were vacationing. If I had the B&O module then I'd leave it on as my usual. The other thing I heard mention was of a B&O "pack" consisting of G5, B&O module and some (snazzy?) B&O ear buds. If I was evil, and in charge of LG UK, then I'd launch that at £1 less than the price of the S7 Edge. Even at that (massive) price I personally would be tempted. Might be pretty sensible to do a Sony style "musician's pack", "photographer's pack", "engineer's pack" consisting of the G5 and the appropriate "Friend", at least for the initial availability.
    One last thing I will say though, is that I applaud LG for taking risk and trying to shake things up a bit.
    Last edited by crossy; 25-02-2016 at 02:50 PM.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thread Information