Thread: LG announces the LG V30 smartphone

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

LG announces the LG V30 smartphone

Says the f1.6 rear camera, 6-inch OLED display, and B&O audio excel at multimedia.
    Read more.

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: LG announces the LG V30 smartphone

Only 4GB of RAM? The rumours were talking about 6GB.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

F1.6 camera with a tinier sensor than the V20,so this is why they need a larger aperture.

Thanks

the best looking LG product I have ever seen.

Thanks

I have the LG G5 and I really want this phone. I think i've picked my next upgrade path!

Thanks
    • lodore's system
      • Motherboard:
      • X570 AORUS MASTER
      • CPU:
      • Amd Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 2666 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Gigabyte AORUS 7000s SSD and sandisk 1tb sata 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080TI 11gb
      • PSU:
      • Ion+ 860W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 4000D AIRFLOW
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama 34inch ultra wide quad HD 144hz and 24inch asus HD
      • Internet:
      • 80Mbps Zen

I wonder why no phone manufacturers are using quickcharge 4.0 yet?
    seems even more stupid that samsung are still using quickcharge 2.0 espically since samsung and qualcomm teamed up to promote quickcharge 4.0 saying that it is safer and helps with their message for battery safety. I do like my LG G4 and the camera is really good. I am not looking to go for LG again due to the slowness of updates especially security patches. still haven't got Android N on my G4 yet.
    I really hope that project treble does speed up updates but I will believe it when I see it.

I still regret getting rid of my nexus 5 and favour fast updates and pure android over anything else as i feel that nothing major has changed in the last few years with phones. I was hoping that some new battery technology would of been out by now. I would be happy having the phone battery lasting a week just like the old feature phones had.

we all know that the samsung fanboys will say that LG have copied the galaxy S8 because it looks exactly the same on the front.

It is good that LG have put the fingerprint scanner in a sensible place unlike Samsung.

For the amount of money it cost for a flagship from LG or Samsung i am surprised that people put up with all the bloatware on them. If you get get bloatware on windows you can remove it or do a fresh install of windows but you cannot do the same on a phone without voiding warranty or affecting functionality such as stopping android pay from working.

Is LG going to provide all the features in the europe version this time?
    The G6 was stupid some regions getting wireless charging some getting better audio and the europe version gets neither thanks LG...
    Last edited by lodore; 31-08-2017 at 08:41 PM.

Getting old...
    Thanks
    • UseItNow's system
      • Motherboard:
      • It's holding everything together!
      • CPU:
      • It's in my PC
      • Memory:
      • It's remembering, alright?
      • Storage:
      • It's a hard drive, what more do you want?
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Cr*p, there I said it!
      • PSU:
      • It's old and juicy!
      • Case:
      • Bog standard!
      • Operating System:
      • You Got To Ask? I'm here at Hexus because of it!
      • Monitor(s):
      • Big Enough, Yay For Me!
      • Internet:
      • Hell if I know, care anymore?

I'm grabbing this for my next upgrade, wanted the V20 but held off but this is my next upgrade....

Thanks
    • Xlucine's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus TUF B450M-plus
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB @ 3.2 Gt/s
      • Storage:
      • Crucial P5 1TB (boot), Crucial MX500 1TB, Crucial MX100 512GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980ti
      • PSU:
      • Fractal Design ION+ 560P
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • W10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic vx3211-2k-mhd, Dell P2414H

Transit Drop Test
    That doesn't sound very useful. If it's broken by the couriers I can get a new one for free, it's the drops after I've removed it from the packaging that are of concern

Thanks
    • globalwarning's system
      • CPU:
      • AMD 1090T
      • Memory:
      • RIP JAW DDR3 1600 4x4GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire 7950 OC (Boost)
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 750W
      • Case:
      • Old crap
      • Operating System:
      • Window 7 Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Hanns-G 281DPB

Quote Originally Posted by lodore View Post
    I wonder why no phone manufacturers are using quickcharge 4.0 yet?
    seems even more stupid that samsung are still using quickcharge 2.0 espically since samsung and qualcomm teamed up to promote quickcharge 4.0 saying that it is safer and helps with their message for battery safety. I do like my LG G4 and the camera is really good. I am not looking to go for LG again due to the slowness of updates especially security patches. still haven't got Android N on my G4 yet.
    I really hope that project treble does speed up updates but I will believe it when I see it.

I still regret getting rid of my nexus 5 and favour fast updates and pure android over anything else as i feel that nothing major has changed in the last few years with phones. I was hoping that some new battery technology would of been out by now. I would be happy having the phone battery lasting a week just like the old feature phones had.

we all know that the samsung fanboys will say that LG have copied the galaxy S8 because it looks exactly the same on the front.

It is good that LG have put the fingerprint scanner in a sensible place unlike Samsung.

For the amount of money it cost for a flagship from LG or Samsung i am surprised that people put up with all the bloatware on them. If you get get bloatware on windows you can remove it or do a fresh install of windows but you cannot do the same on a phone without voiding warranty or affecting functionality such as stopping android pay from working.

Is LG going to provide all the features in the europe version this time?
    The G6 was stupid some regions getting wireless charging some getting better audio and the europe version gets neither thanks LG...
    1.) Quickcharge 3 was only announced Nov 2016 - these pohone have probably been in development since that time. 4 was only just announced...
    2.) LG's fingerprint sensor placement is way better than the Samsung or iPhone, in my opinion, and they'd had it there since the LG V10, which I believe was before Samsung put theirs on the back. Until underscreen scanner really work, on the back is the way to go. I think LG took the lead on the
    3.) LG G4 is getting rather long in the tooth at over 2 years old - does *anyone* do updates for phones that old? Maybe iPhone? Not Android. It's genreally not a problem for security unless you're loading things that aren't from the Play store.
    4.) The bloatware isn't bad on LGs... Most of it is from verizon, and can be easily turned off or ignored.
    5.) I would LOVE if this had wireless charging - I don't know why they stopped putting it in after the G2. I hate different versions for different regions.
    6.) I have the V20, and the battery life is pretty good - I can easily get through close to two work days, and I use my phone a fair amount as I run around the campus I work at.

Thanks
    • globalwarning's system
      • CPU:
      • AMD 1090T
      • Memory:
      • RIP JAW DDR3 1600 4x4GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire 7950 OC (Boost)
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 750W
      • Case:
      • Old crap
      • Operating System:
      • Window 7 Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Hanns-G 281DPB

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    F1.6 camera with a tinier sensor than the V20,so this is why they need a larger aperture.
    Larger aperture = more light to the sensor. Hopefully, combined with a better sensor that means improved low light pictures.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by globalwarning View Post
    Larger aperture = more light to the sensor. Hopefully, combined with a better sensor that means improved low light pictures.
    Tinier sensor = smaller photodetector area which means they are less sensitive.

Hence the need for a larger relative aperture to allow more light in.

Smaller sensors cost less money so this is more marketing fluff.

If they are that bothered with image quality they could have combined a similar sized sensor to other phones with a larger aperture lens and that might have been an improvement.

Edit!

The v30 uses a 1/3.06" sensor,and the v20 a 1/2.6" sensor.

That gives you an indication of size reduction and both are 16mp. Apparently the new lens design allows 25% more light through due to a new optical design and wider aperture according to LG PR.

That should just about compensate for the tinier sensor!

I expect any image quality improvements to come from better in camera processing as more and more SOCs come with hardware to help with these sorts of things.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 01-09-2017 at 04:04 PM.

Thanks
    • lodore's system
      • Motherboard:
      • X570 AORUS MASTER
      • CPU:
      • Amd Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 2666 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Gigabyte AORUS 7000s SSD and sandisk 1tb sata 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080TI 11gb
      • PSU:
      • Ion+ 860W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 4000D AIRFLOW
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama 34inch ultra wide quad HD 144hz and 24inch asus HD
      • Internet:
      • 80Mbps Zen

Quote Originally Posted by globalwarning View Post
    1.) Quickcharge 3 was only announced Nov 2016 - these pohone have probably been in development since that time. 4 was only just announced...
    2.) LG's fingerprint sensor placement is way better than the Samsung or iPhone, in my opinion, and they'd had it there since the LG V10, which I believe was before Samsung put theirs on the back. Until underscreen scanner really work, on the back is the way to go. I think LG took the lead on the
    3.) LG G4 is getting rather long in the tooth at over 2 years old - does *anyone* do updates for phones that old? Maybe iPhone? Not Android. It's genreally not a problem for security unless you're loading things that aren't from the Play store.
    4.) The bloatware isn't bad on LGs... Most of it is from verizon, and can be easily turned off or ignored.
    5.) I would LOVE if this had wireless charging - I don't know why they stopped putting it in after the G2. I hate different versions for different regions.
    6.) I have the V20, and the battery life is pretty good - I can easily get through close to two work days, and I use my phone a fair amount as I run around the campus I work at.
    I can understand point 3. but since LG are saying that the security patches are for G3 and newer as stated https://lgsecurity.lge.com/security_updates.html

With the power of smartphones now I feel that it isn't unreasonable to support phones with full OS support for longer especially with project treble.

I regret getting rid of my Nexus 5 when i did. the only thing that I really like on my G4 is the camera.

I see no point in having a manfacurer version of base apps unless there is something different/better. for example the LG clock is worse than the google clock. Can only set one timer on LG Clock but multiple on google clock so why did LG waste time (excuse the pun) on developing their own clock app?
    There is nothing wrong with the LG calender app but what does it do that the google one doesn't? it seems that LG has all its own apps for their skin for no reason other than the fact that they can. the less changes LG makes to stock android the less they have to test and change for newer versions.
    Last edited by lodore; 01-09-2017 at 08:14 PM.

Thread Information