Thread: AMD adjusts Radeon RX 560 stream processor spec

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

AMD adjusts Radeon RX 560 stream processor spec

RX 560 graphics cards can now come with either 1024 SPs, or 896 SPs without 'D' suffix.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Re: AMD adjusts Radeon RX 560 stream processor spec

It is thought that a fairer and clearer solution would be to retain the RX 560D designation on cards with the lower SP count.
    Or they could label them as RX 465, which would follow AMD's original description of the RX naming scheme ... which didn't even last a single generation of cards...

Thanks

Is this legal? Is the price different between them? It's like selling a car with 2/4 dours, but at the same price and same name.

Thanks

A nice little name drop and inclusion for Scan there. Be wary of their returns policy people!

"I looked at Scan.co.uk for examples but found the UK tech retailer to conveniently list the SP count alongside the product names"

If interested in the card above maybe try Amazon first as their return policy is simplicity itself.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Quote Originally Posted by yeeeeman View Post
    Is this legal? Is the price different between them? It's like selling a car with 2/4 dours, but at the same price and same name.
    Would you just buy "a Ford Fiesta" and assume it had 4 doors and a 1.6l petrol engine? I assume you'd do some research and specify that that's the configuration you wanted to buy.

I imagine that as long as there is some indication somewhere of how many SPs the card has it's fine. That may only be on the manufacturer's website, looking up the specific part number, though. Ultimately it's up to the buyer to make sure they know what they're getting.

It's certainly unhelpful, but not at all unusual. Nvidia have, in the past, sold three different configurations of silicon from 2 different generations under the same name. After all, when you buy an RX 560 you're contracting to buy "an RX 560", not "an AMD GPU with 1024 4th generation GCN shaders". Assuming the specifications based purely on a product name is a dangerous game.

EDIT: for crosspost:

Quote Originally Posted by excalibur1814 View Post
    ... If interested in the card above maybe try Amazon first as their return policy is simplicity itself.
    That may be the case, but they don't list the number of SPs in their RX 560 listings, so you're going to be doing a lot of searching for part numbers to make sure you get the one you want...

Thanks
    • iworrall's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus B350M TUF Gaming
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 2700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB C14 Team Group "Dark Pro"
      • Storage:
      • 512Gb Samsung 970 Evo NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia RTX3080 FE
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 1KW
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Core V21
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 / Kubuntu 19.04
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator X34A
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre

Reminds me of Nvidia's 3GB & 6GB GTX1060 cards.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Thanks
    • kompukare's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 850 EVo 500GB | Corsair MP510 960GB | 2 x WD 4TB spinners
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sappihre R7 260X 1GB (sic)
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650 Gold TruePower (Seasonic)
      • Case:
      • Aerocool DS 200 (silenced, 53.6 litres)l)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x ViewSonic 27" 1440p

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    It's certainly unhelpful, but not at all unusual. Nvidia have, in the past, sold three different configurations of silicon from 2 different generations under the same name.
    Actually, I think it was worse than that:

That was the same name, GT 640, being used for five configurations based on three totally different chips spanning 2.5 generations (Ferni, Kepler1, Kepler2).

That may be the case, but they don't list the number of SPs in their RX 560 listings, so you're going to be doing a lot of searching for part numbers to make sure you get the one you want...
    That's typical Amazon, isn't it?
    Basically, the world's biggest retailer mostly can't be bother entering accurate listings, or even allow users to apply useful filters or use Booleans.
    Guess any mistakes are easy to rectify using their good customer service, but while they usually pay for return postage it is still a hassle.
    Of course, another reason for Amazon's great CS is that I suspect they often* pass a lot of those costs on to their suppliers so while the likes of Scan have to test returns themselves, Amazon often just leaves the testing costs with the distributor or manufacturer.

*Often, as the items sold via Amazon's Warehouse Deals must come from somewhere.

Thanks

In a world where manufactures sell GTX 1060s in 3GB and 6GB versions, where they sell a Titan X then and Titan Xp in a bizzaro naming convention, and in a world where consumers get a slightly cut down 1080 as a 1070 Ti - in THAT world this is makes sense.

In 2018, I'm sure some Nvidia executive will pitch a "GT 1130 Ti" which will really be a tuned 3GB 1050 Ti...because reasons.

Thanks
    • 3s-gtech's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X4 945 @ 3.4GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3-1600
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Samsung 850 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD HD 6870 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Antec 550W
      • Case:
      • Antec Sonata II
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2032BW

Cheeky, and it further segments a card available in 2GB and 4GB varieties (at greatly varying prices). The 2GB card with 1024 SPs seems to be the sweet spot for this model.

Thanks
    • mtyson's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-B85M-HD3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 4790T
      • Memory:
      • 12GB
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk 128GB SSD + Kingston 500GB SSD + NAS etc
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Nitro+
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 430W
      • Case:
      • Zalman Z9 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC 31.5-inch VA QHD monitor
      • Internet:
      • 100MB Virgin fibre

AMD PR sent along an email about this Radeon RX 560 situation. I've reproduced the quotable section below:

“It’s correct that 14 Compute Unit (896 stream processors) and 16 Compute Unit (1024 stream processor) versions of the Radeon RX 560 are available. We introduced the 14CU version this summer to provide AIBs and the market with more RX 500 series options. It’s come to our attention that on certain AIB and etail websites there’s no clear delineation between the two variants. We’re taking immediate steps to remedy this: we’re working with all AIB and channel partners to make sure the product descriptions and names clarify the CU count, so that gamers and consumers know exactly what they’re buying. We apologize for the confusion this may have caused.”

Thanks

Would you just buy "a Ford Fiesta" and assume it had 4 doors and a 1.6l petrol engine? I assume you'd do some research and specify that that's the configuration you wanted to buy.

I imagine that as long as there is some indication somewhere of how many SPs the card has it's fine. That may only be on the manufacturer's website, looking up the specific part number, though. Ultimately it's up to the buyer to make sure they know what they're getting.

It's certainly unhelpful, but not at all unusual. Nvidia have, in the past, sold three different configurations of silicon from 2 different generations under the same name. After all, when you buy an RX 560 you're contracting to buy "an RX 560", not "an AMD GPU with 1024 4th generation GCN shaders". Assuming the specifications based purely on a product name is a dangerous game.

EDIT: for crosspost:

Quote Originally Posted by excalibur1814 View Post
    ... If interested in the card above maybe try Amazon first as their return policy is simplicity itself.
    If I ordered a Ford Fiesta with 4 doors and and a 1.6L Petrol Engine, Then yes, That is what I would assume would turn up, If I order a Ford Fiesta with 4 doors and and a 1.6L Petrol Engine from another dealership, I still assume that is what will turn up, Not a Ford Fiesta with 2 doors and and a 1.2L Petrol Engine because Ford changed the spec but left the old badge on the back.
    We buy and search electronics and most things by Model No: I expect something with the same model No: to be the same no matter were I buy it, You are also hoping that when someone picks your RX 560 off that pile in the warehouse that they check the small print on the back that they have the right one.
    At the very least this is miss leading, But I would call it false advertising.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Quote Originally Posted by bibby View Post
    ... If I order a Ford Fiesta with 4 doors and and a 1.6L Petrol Engine from another dealership, I still assume that is what will turn up, Not a Ford Fiesta with 2 doors and and a 1.2L Petrol Engine because Ford changed the spec but left the old badge on the back. ...
    That's kind of missing my point, which is that both the 4 door version and the 2 door version are a Ford Fiesta. You don't just order a "Ford Fiesta" and hope the right one turns up, and you don't expect Ford to come up with a different product name for every possible variant of a given car model.

There are many products that have different specs under one name, and it's up to the customer to check the both the product name and the specs as advertised. I mean, even without the shader different the RX 560 comes in either 2GB or 4GB of RAM; I don't remember anyone complaining bitterly about that when they were released... The issue here is where a customer doesn't know about the possible difference in specs, and a website doesn't list them clearly. In and of itself there's nothing wrong with different specifications of card have the same model name.

It can't be false advertising unless a false claim is made. Since an RX 560 can have 896 shaders, it's not false advertising (unless the listing says 1024 shaders but the card doesn't have them - at which point you would have a legal case against the retailer). For a few generations now AMD's online specs have usually said "up to xxx shaders" as a cya move. It's interesting to see them give two specific numbers in this case. Curiously they don't list the shader count at all for the RX 550 Wonder what they're plkanning to pull with that...

Thread Information