• RX 6800 16Gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SF600 Gold
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 v6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF (2560x1440 144Hz Nano IPS)
      • Internet:
      • Bt 500 Mbps

Re: AMD Radeon RX 590

Roughly half the performance of the 1080 Ti for the same power consumption....no thanks. With GTX2060 surely on the horizon, who in their right mind would buy this?

I would have preferred RX480 performance with less power consumption and tweaking.

Also what a strange selection of cards to compare this too. Putting a 2080 Ti in the same charts, a card that costs ~ 4.5 to 5 times as much as the RX590?

Surely comparing to the RX470, RX480, RX560, RX570, RX580, GTX1050 Ti, GTX1060 3Gb, GTX1060 6Gb, GTX1070, GTX1080, GTX2070 would make more sense? Cards directly above and below it in the performance pecking order?

Even if the GTX1060 is slightly worse performing, I'd still opt to buy it over the RX590 for the 115W load power saving and subsequent quieter performance. I hope 7nm can help AMD up their TDP game.
    Last edited by cptwhite_uk; 15-11-2018 at 03:39 PM.

Thanks
    • Hoonigan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570 ACE
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2x 2TB Gigabyte NVMe 4.0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3070Ti Gaming Pro
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! Straight Power 11 Platinum 750W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Crystal Series 680X
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator Z35P + ASUS ROG PG279Q
      • Internet:
      • Giganet (City Fibre) 900/900

Quote Originally Posted by cptwhite_uk View Post
    I hope 7nm can help AMD up their TDP game.
    I think we're more likely to see 2v of core voltage through the RX 790, consuming as much power as a small village, before we see them competitive in the TDP arena.

ETR316

why do people buy old architecture? in the end doing so halts innovation, it allows amd to get away with it. much in the same way as Intel did for a very long time when it had no competition years ago. dont buy amd cards, make them produce better, newer architecture, then buy.

Thanks

I think this price will go down very fast. Probably as soon as those three games that are offered are no more.
    You could almost buy this card for those games, and sell it brand new for 100 less and you would be winner. And the person that is buying the card from you.
    The more you live, less you die. More you play, more you die. Isn't it great.

The Ace
    Thanks

...Radeon RX 590, therefore, is an overclocked Radeon RX 580 which is an overclocked Radeon RX 480.
    This was on my head full time from the announcement to the review here, sad to see it turned out to be true.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ETR316 View Post
    why do people buy old architecture? in the end doing so halts innovation, it allows amd to get away with it. much in the same way as Intel did for a very long time when it had no competition years ago. dont buy amd cards, make them produce better, newer architecture, then buy.
    I mean, that's a flawed logic. If the price is right then people will buy it - it doesn't really matter if it's an 'old architecture' if it still works. But with regard to being old, it's still newer than Intel's latest and greatest Skylake uArch! Almost a year newer actually. Not buying a an otherwise suitable product because the company don't happen to have the fastest one on the market also available is silly, and in a roundabout way diverts R&D money from the company you're expecting to perform better. See how that works? The problem is, people don't 'then buy' even when AMD have a perfectly competitive product because of some nonsense marketing reasons.

Having said that I'm not sure the price is right - much like Nvidia's latest generation, this one doesn't really offer any value improvement over what was already available. I can see the price dropping, but I'm not sure why AMD wouldn't have just done that right out of the gate.
    Last edited by watercooled; 15-11-2018 at 07:49 PM.

Missed by us all - RIP old boy spacein_vader's Avatar
    Thanks
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe (boot), 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

Quote Originally Posted by ETR316 View Post
    I assume your current processor doesn't use that ancient '70s x86 instruction set then? Or the x64 set from 2003?

9. Received thanks from:

kalniel (16-11-2018)

Registered+
    Thanks

Did they call it the Fatboy because it runs for 30 seconds then overheats and has to slow down to a walk, while noisily sucking down vast amounts of air?

Anyway..
    Its a decent card if you ignore the power draw. And perhaps even a good buy if the games appeal to you (or you can sell them).
    It does seem like AMD is trying to get the jump on the 2060 release with this. Maybe snare some midrange sales before that lands? Though the way Nvidia has been going, the 2060 will have 1070 performance for the same price as a 1070.

11. Received thanks from:

Strawb77 (16-11-2018)

Thanks
    • Percy1983's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5900x + Cooler Master Nepton 140XL
      • Memory:
      • 64GB (4x16GB ) Corsair Vengence 3200mhz @ 3600mhz CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Silicon Power NVME + 2x 4tb Raid 0 (2tbx2) arrays with 250gb Silicon Power NVME cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vega 56 8GB
      • PSU:
      • 875w Thermaltake Toughpower XT
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer UHD x2
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone

Well its not going to kick my rx580 Nitro+ out but, this will either drop the prices of the rx580 for a second one in my system or this will work in crossfire with my 580 then slightly better single card with not much to lose in crossfire.

Yay a custom user title! =assassin='s Avatar
    Thanks

If this card had lower power consumption then it'd be quite nice for the price relative to the 1060, but the fact it requires so much power, and gets so hot/noisy is a big put-off, especially so with it being late to the party. I really wish AMD provided more conclusive competition :/

Thanks

What a dud. Incoming NV 1060 replacement to squash any hopes of AMD making money in this in:

3...2...1...LOL. This cards watts etc are embarrassing for 12nm IMHO. Though, I have pretty high hopes for AMD's 7nm from TSMC. Thank god we have choices from AMD coming forward that are NOT GF related. Perhaps more reliance on TSMC will get TDP, etc down to near NV levels which may enable me to buy one to replace my 1070ti. Please AMD, for the love of GOD, get rid of all the tech inside your gpus that is wasted on mining and re-dedicate that silicon to GAMING ONLY. Otherwise, well, I'll buy NV again because I DON'T FREAKING MINE COINS JUST LIKE 95% OF YOUR CUSTOMERS! Quit building what we DO NOT WANT and start building what GAMERS ARE WANTING! What we want is a card with low watts/heat/noise and perf that matches NV! Can you cut out all the junk that helps NONE of your CORE audience for once in a decade please? Otherwise, keep making Q reports that suck. I say that as a stock holder BTW! Quit price wars and start making money! Crap like this will drop like a rock price wise. Fire management and marketing and re-hire the 30% of engineers you've laid off over the last ~5yrs. It is MORONIC to make 100mil for a Q or two and let go of VERY GOOD ENGINEERS, most of whom went to Intel/apple. You should have used that money to KEEP ENGINEERS...How dumb is management at AMD. Keep this up and I'll lose all hope and ditch your stock again. Fortunately 64core server cpus can even save IDIOTS from themselves and their dumb pricing. The high end can save their stock until Intel gets their fab crap together again. Thank god for the high end or China would already be owning Intel's fabs. Too bad their management was DUMB for the last 5yrs too (cough, 4B+ a year for 4yrs lost to mobile instead of spent on 10nm etc fabs! cough cough).

I digress...So many dumb people running great companies. But hey, kranscrap gone now, maybe Intel will win again instead of losing the rest of the fab race to china. Thank god for sex scandals huh? LOL. Intel forgot Andy Groves book "ONLY THE PARANOID SURVIVE". NV always acts paranoid, thus remains on top. Good luck to Intel taking them down...LOL. They keep innovating, regardless of your feelings towards them, they keep up the R&D. RTX is what Intel/AMD have to respond to now. Thank god they didn't just stop in stone like intel has while AMD was dead in the cpu race. It will serve intel right if AMD takes a ton of server money with 64 core+4x bandwidth, 7nm etc vs. Intel 48 core mass watt crap at 14nm for a year+. AMD will be $40 at some point before end H1 2020 unless management massively blows this for a year on pricing. I say this no matter how dumb they are on gpu/desktop cpu fronts regarding pricing. It's hard to blow $10000 chips and their massive margins even with a dumb low end. Google/MSFT/FB/AMZN and more are chomping at the bit for power, and anyone who doesn't spend on it will be run over by the others.

For example: 90% of the data in the world was made in the last 2yrs. Think about that for a minute and realize growth will make this a dumb statement in a few more years...LOL.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bernardmarr/2018/05/21/how-much-data-do-we-create-every-day-the-mind-blowing-stats-everyone-should-read/#3e7f0aa460ba

Holy crap right? Anyone thinking data and all the stuff that runs it, will slow down, is just not paying attention to reality. I really hope AMD cashes in on Intel mishaps in fabs. Just price this stuff right AMD! Take everyone you can for a ride, as it will end at some point if Intel gets it's fab act together (with their profits, they will, count on it). Intel no longer pissing away 4B a year on mobile.

If I owned Intel stock, I think I'd be selling now, and holding out until 10nm is RAMPED and good info on the next process is out that doesn't sound like the 10nm fiasco. Until then, I think AMD will gain in Intel's cash cow over the next 1-2yrs. The question is, will AMD make money on it all, or just price themselves to death for market share again. I'd rather sell millions of chips at massive margins, than own more share for peanuts. AMD needs to make a few billion to bank some future R&D or pay down debt, or both! Hopefully BOTH. Tired, need sleep. Just heard Brexit may finally happen soon for you guys. Hope you get it! Down with dumb May. For 2yrs she's been trying to NOT BREXIT. Jeez. Look how USA Brexit is going! Massive jobs, stock market climb, manufacturing coming back, companies cancelling china plans and moving to USA etc. Brits should pray for BREXIT. No reason to keep giving EU your profits, just like USA was doing for decades with the whole world. WE ARE DONE (bring on the FAIR tariffs!), and you should be too with letting leeches suck you dry. Good luck Brits, tell T May to act like trump and get it done

Previously known as Wozza365
    Thanks
    • Wozza63's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX 8150 @4.2GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Intel 120GB SSD, 4TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX R9 390
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX850
      • Case:
      • Akasa Venom Toxic
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer XG270HU + Iiyama E2473HDS x2

Roughly half the performance of the 1080 Ti for the same power consumption....no thanks. With GTX2060 surely on the horizon, who in their right mind would buy this?
    Probably people that aren't going to spend £350-400 on a GPU. 2060 will be well over £300. This is £250.

Thanks
    • cptwhite_uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450i Gaming plus Wifi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DRR4 Trident Z 3200 C16
      • Storage:
      • Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 1Tb NVME SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 6800 16Gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SF600 Gold
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 v6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF (2560x1440 144Hz Nano IPS)
      • Internet:
      • Bt 500 Mbps

It's going to be around the £350 mark, agreed. However extrapolating the power consumption from GTX1060, GTX1070 and GTX2070, we can have an educated guess that the GTX2060 will consume 190W equivalent to the values in the Hexus review, compared to 300W for the RX590. Also performance is likely to be around 15-20% higher, I'm presuming GTX2060 will be around GTX1070 performance wise, as is normally the case for the last few generations with nVidia.

17. Received thanks from:

Pleiades (16-11-2018)

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Intriguing that AMD seem to have enough demand to warrant production of more chips on a new process while nVidia stocks take a hammering on unsold chips building up in inventory.

19. Received thanks from:

Pleiades (16-11-2018)

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Normally I agree with you, and I'm no XFX fan.. but lets look at this

GTX1080 Zotac - cheapest version on Scan £519 (note NOT a Ti which is more dough)
    https://www.scan.co.uk/products/zota...-1759mhz-boost

590 Fatboy - £249
    https://www.scan.co.uk/products/zota...-1759mhz-boost

Don#t get me wrong. I like a lower power draw too, and the 1080 is a faster card...

but the price difference is more than double!

So that's truly not a fair comparison.

a 1060 can now be had for £250 and THATS a fair comparison.. and for that the buyers choose slight speed improvments over power use

but not a 1080 at £520

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information