Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dyson ends 'not commercially viable' electric car project

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Dyson ends 'not commercially viable' electric car project

Meanwhile the likes of Boeing and Porsche are testing an electric VTOL flying vehicle.
    Read more.

bios curious
    Thanks
    • Mr_Jon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock AB350 Pro4
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3800x
      • Memory:
      • 48GB
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 970 EVO NVME
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6750XT
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define XL R2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung C32JG50 WQHD @ 144hz

Re: Dyson ends 'not commercially viable' electric car project

mostly lol @ "urban air mobility market"

3. Received thanks from:

Millennium (11-10-2019)

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

LOL at Dyson.... pretty sure I told ya so.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Jon View Post
    mostly lol @ "urban air mobility market"
    Plenty of Chairborne keyboard warriors to fit that bill...

Thing is, it'd have to be reliably autonomous and completely anti-hackable, otherwise we'll have people crashing into stuff all over the place. Flying cars are an awesome idea... giving them to the massed morons that inhabit this planet is beyond moronic. Besides, no booger will be able to afford one, let alone manage the licencing and insurance to fly it.
    So, I look forward to 2021 when Porsche's own commercially unviable announcement.

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

my guess is that the Singapore Government, who tempted Dyson over there and away from the Uk...has pulled funding. Just a theory ....

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

bios curious
    Thanks
    • Mr_Jon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock AB350 Pro4
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3800x
      • Memory:
      • 48GB
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 970 EVO NVME
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6750XT
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define XL R2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung C32JG50 WQHD @ 144hz

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    LOL at Dyson.... pretty sure I told ya so.

Plenty of Chairborne keyboard warriors to fit that bill...

Thing is, it'd have to be reliably autonomous and completely anti-hackable, otherwise we'll have people crashing into stuff all over the place. Flying cars are an awesome idea... giving them to the massed morons that inhabit this planet is beyond moronic. Besides, no booger will be able to afford one, let alone manage the licencing and insurance to fly it.
    So, I look forward to 2021 when Porsche's own commercially unviable announcement.
    It's bonkers innit. Dyson say they have a "fantastic electric car" for the mass market, which is so fantastic they don't dare pay to have it manufactured. Meanwhile, Boeing and Porsche decide to completely miss the mass market with something that is aimed at the 0.00001% (and that's an approximation, sports fans), a project that will - pun thoroughly intended - never get off the ground. I'm sure we'd all love to live like the Jetsons, and for that I applaud their endeavour. But idiots.

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

Quote Originally Posted by Zak33 View Post
    my guess is that the Singapore Government, who tempted Dyson over there and away from the Uk...has pulled funding. Just a theory ....
    And that this product can't stand on its own two feet without subsidies.

Dyson probably came up against the same issues as Tesla. They are not a car maker. Teslas keep breaking on the strangest of things (batteries (the standard car battery, not the big posh one although they have recently updated it OTA to reduce capacity by some way), door handles, etc) because they do not have the experience building a car. Nissan is failing in the battery pack where they've weather sealed it but also not cooled it with a radiator, so in hot climates, it fails prematurely (and they refuse to replace it). Nissan, VW, etc do and so their starting point is the electric stuff whilst the rest of the car is already pretty much sorted. Tesla keep failing on the parts that other car companies have been doing for 100 years.

Dyson is going to have the same problem. Yes they've got a bit of a head start in the electric drive part but they've got an ENTIRE car to design with no experience as a company in this area. I wouldn't buy it either when the big names are starting to release electric cars.

Musk doesn't have this problem because he attracts investment like flies round.... uh... yeh. He's called Electric Jesus for a reason and keeps getting investment despite calling people paedos, smoking pot, giving his (chef) brother a massive company salary ($6.8 million) for sitting on the board, hiring a criminal PI to investigate "paedo guy" to dig up the non-existant paedo dirt, beta testing new, unreliable stuff which causes crashes on the public (smart summon), Tesla trucks (supposed to be out by now but they have only released a die-cast model) failure......

Registered+
    Thanks

So i guess someone is suppressing the electric cars market (because mah oil) so they dont lose money, who the fuk cares about the planet when traveling to mars is so close by...

Thanks

More like all the car people won't invest in a startup when they can see huge profits for themselves rather than for them and a n other
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks
    • Gentle Viking's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus extreme X399
      • CPU:
      • TR 1920 X
      • Memory:
      • G Skill 64GB ( 8 X 8 ) PC3600 @ 3400
      • Storage:
      • Samsung evo 500GB nvme - 256GB Kingston SSD - 4TB spinning disk
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Powercolor 5700 XT red devil
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850I
      • Case:
      • Working on it, done summer 2020
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 Ulti
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" iiyama GB2788HS
      • Internet:
      • docis 3.1 cable 1000/100 mbit

It is batter to suck, than to burn ( money ) away :-)

Thanks

Tbh Phil, design issues like weird failing door handles versus failing majorly functional car parts? I know which company I'm going for and it begins with Tesla.

12. Received thanks from:

Pleiades (12-10-2019)

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabbykatze View Post
    Tbh Phil, design issues like weird failing door handles versus failing majorly functional car parts? I know which company I'm going for and it begins with Tesla.
    The door handles thing was just an example of something an established company can just do whereas Tesla can't. There are loads more examples. I gave you one in the 12V battery failures. What about the 'ice breaker' feature which has a lovely hole for a 5 year old to poke a finger into? Yeh, that wasn't good but there was no mitigation for the risk presented because they don't have the automotive R&D experience and they don't take their time.

Honestly, I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. They repeatedly come at the bottom of reliability rankings, they are only alive due to investor money, they OTA update your car to make it worse and reduce the range without your consent.... the list goes on. the undercooked R&D is everywhere. Not just minor things. The repeated (often yearly) 12V battery failures due to them trying to charge a standard car battery like a lithium ion pack speaks volumes.

The Smart Summon failure is a recent issue and it's HUGE. You can summon the car to come to you from 60 meters away. For most of us, lazy rubbish, for disabled people potentially incredible. But it crashes into things. Repeatedly. It's undercooked and dangerous yet they released it. That is not minor, especially as people are using it, then it crashes into someone else and they deny fault as they weren't at the wheel. Part of doing something like this is ensuring you work with governments and insurance to get leglisation and procedure in place but they don't. They release undercooked software for a self driving vehicle into the wild with no regulatory framework to support it. They are dangerous cowboys. (EDIT, they admit it's beta but you don't unleash a beta version of self driving cars onto the road, YOU JUST DON'T! Beta testing computer control of 2 tonne+ of metal without a driver at the wheel is not acceptable, however you try and spin it).

Look at the company's financial records and it gets worse. This company will not be around for much longer without constant external investor support. They have a massive backlog and their stock surplus is huge. They can't shift the expensive models as they marketed the cheaper ones. So they have surplus expensive cars sat and can't fulfil orders for cheaper ones. Which will die off when the larger companies get in on the act. Why are the larger companies taking so damn long? They are doing the R&D properly. Toyota are doing the right thing. Hybrids for a long period of time to get service centres used to them, get the supply chain in place, sort out issues without crippling someone's car and being able to research battery degredation without major risk. It takes decades to do this kind of thing properly and Tesla are trying to do it (relatively) overnight.

What I will say is that that they have definitely pushed things forward. They will not last but they will be remembered as a company which drove the sector forwards. My issue is when they die and there are no servers for the car to connect to and no remote fixy people to sort issues over the phone, what happens to the people who have bought these things? Generic parts aren't an option in a Tesla as it verifies everything unless you hack the software.
    Last edited by philehidiot; 11-10-2019 at 06:32 PM. Reason: smart summon

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zak33 View Post
    what are you saying? dyson is not pro brexit after all?

Thanks

Even with the huge government subsidies, there are no commercially viable electric cars. Tesla has never sold a car for a profit. We did the mathematics a while ago about just how expensive an electric car is to own, and that's in the UK with insane fuel prices. Imaging trying to compete against 47p/litre petrol in the USA.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TeePee View Post
    Even with the huge government subsidies, there are no commercially viable electric cars. Tesla has never sold a car for a profit. We did the mathematics a while ago about just how expensive an electric car is to own, and that's in the UK with insane fuel prices. Imaging trying to compete against 47p/litre petrol in the USA.
    Completely agree. EV cars are a joke especially as their is no real definition of "electric car". My next door neighbor bought a Mitsubishi PHEV and it did 16 miles on all electric. Joke.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by Lordhawkwind View Post
    Completely agree. EV cars are a joke especially as their is no real definition of "electric car". My next door neighbor bought a Mitsubishi PHEV and it did 16 miles on all electric. Joke.
    That would just about get me to work and back.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lordhawkwind View Post
    But that's not an electric car. It's a plug-in hybrid, not designed to opetate very long on pure electric. It's designed to offer an electric drive-train, with small batteries msinly supporting maximising fuel efficiency, using the engine to power the drive train, and/or charge batteries with maeasures like regenerative breaking recovering some electrical charge from braking.

But a true EV it ain't, and it's not really fair to judge it as such.

For many of us with serioys concerns about EV rsnge, that kind of hybrid (and similar) might currently be a better bet than pure EV which, it seems to me, either don't have the necessary range, or are too expensive (by far) for the mass market.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information