Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nvidia sorry for underestimating GeForce RTX 3080 demand

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Nvidia sorry for underestimating GeForce RTX 3080 demand

On many days retail partners have faced Black Friday beating web traffic, says Nvidia.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Nvidia sorry for underestimating GeForce RTX 3080 demand

Funny how they don't mention how many gpu's they actually put out there to buy..... lot of pr speak about high demand and underestimating how many they'll need but if you only put out '1000' cards (probably more but you get the idea) so as not to be a 'paper launch' the demand is always going to outstrip supply.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    Funny how they don't mention how many gpu's they actually put out there to buy..... lot of pr speak about high demand and underestimating how many they'll need but if you only put out '1000' cards (probably more but you get the idea) so as not to be a 'paper launch' the demand is always going to outstrip supply.
    Numbers like that will give scalpers an idea of how many cards they can expect to scalp next time around, though.
    Already you've seen how buying a couple hundred to flip can return you more than double your investment, even with eBay's fees. If you know you can order in several thousand and flip those, even better...

Besides, there are only so many that can be produced ready for launch, and with this much anticipation most reviewers were forewarning of zero stocks as scalpers always find ways to buy up most of the cards.

Thanks
    • blokeinkent's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 9700KF s1151 3.6/4.9GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance RGB PRO SL PC4-25600 (3200)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 2TB 970 Evo Plus NVME + 860 Evo + 250GB 750 Evo SSD + 4x WD 6TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 1070 FTW Gaming ACX 3.0
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX 760
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S2 (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator XB281HK 4K
      • Internet:
      • Virmin M50 Fibre

What a crock of cack! Underestimated demand..... that just makes worse the level of how stupid they think their consumers are if they expect us to believe that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    Numbers like that will give scalpers an idea of how many cards they can expect to scalp next time around, though.
    Already you've seen how buying a couple hundred to flip can return you more than double your investment, even with eBay's fees. If you know you can order in several thousand and flip those, even better...
    have better systems in place to prevent it, there's always going to be scalpers but if there is enough supply they can't make a huge profit etc, which in turn will put off scalpers.

Besides, there are only so many that can be produced ready for launch, and with this much anticipation most reviewers were forewarning of zero stocks as scalpers always find ways to buy up most of the cards.
    They themselves mention 10 million geforce users and while no one expects them all to buy it they should have an idea from past sales of how many will likely be needed on release.... so instead of focusing on being 'first out of the door' delay the launch until you have enough to fulfil a 'reasonable' number. There was no reason for them to release with so little stock when there was basically no competition...
    Last edited by LSG501; 22-09-2020 at 01:52 PM.

Thanks

Underestimated demand or were the background chatters about terrible Samsung 8nm yields the cause?

(fully expecting the yields to improve dramatically)

7. Received thanks from:

[GSV]Trig (22-09-2020)

Thanks

Lol the confidence and audacity to blame too much demand. And Zotac saying they have too many orders and they won't be fulfilled for quite a long time... Usually don't companies in this situation apologise for lack of stock instead of bragging? I don't doubt there was huge demand but OTT marketing spin has gone off the rails with this launch.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zhaoman View Post
    Lol the confidence and audacity to blame too much demand. And Zotac saying they have too many orders and they won't be fulfilled for quite a long time... Usually don't companies in this situation apologise for lack of stock instead of bragging? I don't doubt there was huge demand but OTT marketing spin has gone off the rails with this launch.

That's exactly what it is, marketing spin, just like the claims made about the cards capability.

They will want to sell many before AMD launch, so they must have issues with supply / manufacture, although they will deny this.

Registered+
    Thanks

They’re sorry, but does that mean the problem will be any better for the 3070 launch next month? I can’t help but feel it will be even worse, cheaper cards have a wider market appeal after all!

Registered+
    Thanks

Notice how Nvidia have avoided the question about more Founders Edition cards becoming available and to use their store to explore other options from AIBs and retailers who have no stock and are inflating prices. Its a bit like the police shutting the highway and directing you down a dead end knowing full well it wont help but they can go back to their tea & biscuits

Thanks

I'm sort of torn on this, given we're in the middle of a pandemic and fully expecting a recession of the levels of the great depression (never mind the impact of Brexit on the UK), should Nvidia, Sony with their PS5 and MS with the new Xbox, necessarily expect massive demand? It appears the answer is yes and I'm massively out of step with the popular opinion that we should be battening down the hatches for the worst economic downturn in living memory, with millions out of work, mass personal default on mortgages, loans, car finance etc.

I mean don't get me wrong, I want my new shinies but that's not what's keeping me awake at night at the moment :/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by daddacool View Post
    I'm sort of torn on this, given we're in the middle of a pandemic and fully expecting a recession of the levels of the great depression (never mind the impact of Brexit on the UK), should Nvidia, Sony with their PS5 and MS with the new Xbox, necessarily expect massive demand? It appears the answer is yes and I'm massively out of step with the popular opinion that we should be battening down the hatches for the worst economic downturn in living memory, with millions out of work, mass personal default on mortgages, loans, car finance etc.

I mean don't get me wrong, I want my new shinies but that's not what's keeping me awake at night at the moment :/
    To be fair I've actually managed to save more than I had originally intended over the same period due to the lockdown.....but then I've been doing what we 'should' be doing and only going out (with a mask for good measure) for necessities and not going down the pub etc.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by blokeinkent View Post
    What a crock of cack! Underestimated demand..... that just makes worse the level of how stupid they think their consumers are if they expect us to believe that.
    Stupid enough to shell out the asking price for a 2080Ti, perhaps.... but since many people did, I guess they're not actually wrong, eh?

[QUOTE=LSG501;4255060]have better systems in place to prevent it, there's always going to be scalpers but if there is enough supply they're can't make a huge profit etc, which in turn will put off scalpers.[quote]
    Better systems, yes.... Always better systems, and always people will find ways around it. Next bright idea?
    'Enough supply' would mean a ridiculous volume of stock, if you wanted to counter the scalpers, as they'd just buy as much as they could, safe in the knowledge that the more they buy the more profit they can make.

[QUOTE=LSG501;4255060]They themselves mention 10 million geforce users and while no one expects them all to buy it they should have an idea from past sales of how many will likely be needed on release.... [quote]
    As I understand it, every card of the past few gens has release has sold out on release, anyway. A quick search shows complaints about the 980 and 1080 being sold out on release thanks to so many scalpers (and crypto miners), too. That's another reason why people were so easily able to predict a sell-out this time.
    Supposedly Nvidia did base their current estimates on how past gens sold, though, meaning this latest demand surpassed even previous stats.

I also recall one of the companies in the last few years (AMD, I think) trying to build so much stock that every anticipated order could be fulfilled... and then being left with a ton of unwanted cards!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post

To be fair I've actually managed to save more than I had originally intended over the same period due to the lockdown.....but then I've been doing what we 'should' be doing and only going out (with a mask for good measure) for necessities and not going down the pub etc.
    yeah, we've managed to put my wife's salary away (although she's on about half my take home due to career break for 3 kids), and the lack of gym membership, clubs, activities, holidays etc has enabled us to do that but at the same time I know a lot of highly qualified people who've been made redundant. One marketing exec (actual senior member of staff, not marketing nonclementure too!) I know through work is now on a fixed term contract working in a job centre. I know a couple of directors from big 4 audit firms who are still picking about for work 6 months on. Unlike most of them, we've still got a mortgage and any redundancy here will cover about 2 months of bills...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    Better systems, yes.... Always better systems, and always people will find ways around it. Next bright idea?
    'Enough supply' would mean a ridiculous volume of stock, if you wanted to counter the scalpers, as they'd just buy as much as they could, safe in the knowledge that the more they buy the more profit they can make.

I also recall one of the companies in the last few years (AMD, I think) trying to build so much stock that every anticipated order could be fulfilled... and then being left with a ton of unwanted cards!
    Yes the system being used here was at fault... just in time manufacturing and 'high demand' is partly to blame, but the purchasing system on site and lack of sufficient stock is also a contributing factor to the issues they're now apologising for...

And I never said having excessive amounts to the point where they have too many... I said having a 'reasonable' amount, which also doesn't mean filling every order, but at the same time they have past sales numbers to work from to give them a realistic estimate of sales numbers in the first 'day'....

It's quite clear that nvidia (and partners) didn't have anywhere near enough and anyone in business with common sense should have known that a 'lower price' would have encouraged a higher number of buyers, let alone the performance metrics they were saying.

Thanks
    • Gentle Viking's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus extreme X399
      • CPU:
      • TR 1920 X
      • Memory:
      • G Skill 64GB ( 8 X 8 ) PC3600 @ 3400
      • Storage:
      • Samsung evo 500GB nvme - 256GB Kingston SSD - 4TB spinning disk
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Powercolor 5700 XT red devil
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850I
      • Case:
      • Working on it, done summer 2020
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 Ulti
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" iiyama GB2788HS
      • Internet:
      • docis 3.1 cable 1000/100 mbit

It is peoples own fault, shortage in supply or not.
    The big problem is the " I want it NOW" attitude, this make a thing exclusive, and exclusive is what jack up price.
    If people was just " Cool i will get one when i can" that would kill off scalpers right there.

When big Navi launch it is going to be exactly the same, cuz people ( that include myself too ) are stupid.

Dont get me wrong i am not saying this to cover Nvidias ass, it is pretty much the norm that when a company go big, they go evil and stupid too and will just throw their weight around like some ill mannered obese child.
    BTW the same go for countries, America was too big for its britches for a long time, China are the same now, Russia want to be that way too, and i dont know what the hell EU is doing.

Personally i would rathe wait 6 months getting my GFX card, than i would pay 60 dollars over the top so some creep can make a dime of me too, there are already enough that make a dime on me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information