Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Samsung launches the Galaxy S21, S21+, S21 Ultra smartphones

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Samsung launches the Galaxy S21, S21+, S21 Ultra smartphones

The S21 Ultra can be partnered with an S-Pen and compatible case for a Note experience.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Samsung launches the Galaxy S21, S21+, S21 Ultra smartphones

I couldn't recommend Samsung personally. The Note 3 was brilliant, but not perfect, a long time ago.

Since then they've gone downhill. Infuriating to use (Note 9, thing has a mind if it's own)

Thanks
    • Kovoet's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG crosshair Hero VIII x 2
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Viper 3733mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 980 pro 500GB Samsung 850 512GB,Samsung 860 1TB SSD & 950 PRO NVMe M.2 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte RTX3070Ti, EVGA RTX 3060Ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX1200i, RMX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide 680x
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Tuf VG32VQ1B
      • Internet:
      • 1GB Virgin

Still using my galaxy s8+ and it's never let me down. Will only use a Samsung

Thanks

I usually like Samsung but not too keen on this model
    Jon

Thanks

Base S20 has a 1440p60 native screen, but can do 1080p120, s21 is 1080p120 native. Not sure that's better or worse.

Removal of the SD card slot is a more obvious downgrade. Plastic back on a phone that starts at £769 is a bit much. Exynos garbage means they're a nonstarter for me anyway

Thanks
    • big_hairy_rob's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z170-A
      • CPU:
      • Intel I5 6600k
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengence (3000mhz)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 850 500GB, WD Blue 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI Radeon R9 275
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 550W (80 plus Gold)
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design S (Windowed)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64.
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama ProLite E24B3HS 24", LG Flatron L1950SQ19"
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet (infinity)

£35 for a stylus...
    That's £35 for a branded piece of plastic that costs pennies (at most) to produce...

Thanks

Bit like an Apple pencil?
    Jon

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by big_hairy_rob View Post
    £35 for a stylus...
    That's £35 for a branded piece of plastic that costs pennies (at most) to produce...
    You know it's basically a wacom stylus right (Samsung has shares/part owner of wacom), not one of those non pressure sensitive pens that cost pennies to produce..... not saying it couldn't be cheaper but it's not one of the dumb sticks that costs pennies.

As to the s21.. supposedly 200 cheaper... still stupidly expensive imo, but I'm one of the few that doesn't mind plastic being used instead of glass, glass is far more likely to break than plastic is.

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

Quote Originally Posted by edmundhonda View Post
    Base S20 has a 1440p60 native screen, but can do 1080p120, s21 is 1080p120 native. Not sure that's better or worse.

Removal of the SD card slot is a more obvious downgrade. Plastic back on a phone that starts at £769 is a bit much. Exynos garbage means they're a nonstarter for me anyway
    Exynos should be much better this generation. We shall see. Interestingly, I have a Exynos S20+ (I was offered it at a pretty decent price or I'd have said no) and I'm surprised at how decent it is.

Interestingly, just over the past month or so (since the update) things which were instant are no longer instant and the touchscreen isn't being as responsive. And HELLO! New S21 series. To solve all my laggy problems. I do get tired of this stuff.

Removal of SD slot just whilst Google is removing free upload capacity and samsung is pushing people over to microsoft for cloud storage. I don't particularly want them to have control of all my data and I routinely back up my stuff to the SD card. It's about ensuring you use their services.

Oh and HEEELLLO! They remove the 3.5mm jack so you can't use decent headphones without an adaptor, which they stop including after one generation and a couple of generations later they remove the in-box USB-C headphones. I bet they have a lovely range to offer you. How long will USB-C last as a standard? We went from mini USB to micro USB to USB-C over a few years so pretty sure any decent USB-C headphones will be useless in a few years. So you have to buy new ones.

How delightful. Drinks all round.

I'd say "bottoms up" but that's the consumer presenting.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by big_hairy_rob View Post
    £35 for a stylus...
    They have teardowns of them online, you can see its not just plastic.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by philehidiot View Post

Exynos should be much better this generation. We shall see. Interestingly, I have a Exynos S20+ (I was offered it at a pretty decent price or I'd have said no) and I'm surprised at how decent it is.

Interestingly, just over the past month or so (since the update) things which were instant are no longer instant and the touchscreen isn't being as responsive. And HELLO! New S21 series. To solve all my laggy problems. I do get tired of this stuff.

Removal of SD slot just whilst Google is removing free upload capacity and samsung is pushing people over to microsoft for cloud storage. I don't particularly want them to have control of all my data and I routinely back up my stuff to the SD card. It's about ensuring you use their services.

Oh and HEEELLLO! They remove the 3.5mm jack so you can't use decent headphones without an adaptor, which they stop including after one generation and a couple of generations later they remove the in-box USB-C headphones. I bet they have a lovely range to offer you. How long will USB-C last as a standard? We went from mini USB to micro USB to USB-C over a few years so pretty sure any decent USB-C headphones will be useless in a few years. So you have to buy new ones.

I also have an S20+ and have noticed it's overall much more stable and just as quick after the last update, but my understanding is that the software usually drops off a bit before a new Samsung launch then a little after launch they'll update the previous gen to make those owners happy again.

Agreed about the SD slot.

The removal of the 3.5mm slot is more about pushing people towards bluetooth headphones rather than towards USB-C, evidenced by Samsung bundling their wireless buds for free with both the S20 and S21 series at launch.

Thanks

it may sound irrelevent ....but i wish this phone had headphone jack

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

Quote Originally Posted by HW90 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by philehidiot View Post

I also have an S20+ and have noticed it's overall much more stable and just as quick after the last update, but my understanding is that the software usually drops off a bit before a new Samsung launch then a little after launch they'll update the previous gen to make those owners happy again.

Agreed about the SD slot.

The removal of the 3.5mm slot is more about pushing people towards bluetooth headphones rather than towards USB-C, evidenced by Samsung bundling their wireless buds for free with both the S20 and S21 series at launch.
    That's interesting. Mine is definitely less responsive and I'm now getting repeated notifications asking me to enable offline phone location. It's something I do not want and you can't disable it or notifications. They have also made multitasking far worse and pop out windows are no longer scaling to a useable size. It feels like they have designed it to work more with their large screen / fold devices, so they are probably combining the projects to streamline development. Regardless, it has ruined two functions I use routinely and the nagging, repeating notifications asking me to enable a tracking function are infuriating.

Samsung have given solutions which do not resolve the problems.

Have you tried to redeem the bluetooth headset offer? They do not make it easy at all. No information was given with my phone, contract, or was on Samsung's website. I could only find the redeeming website due to an obscure forum post which listed it. Forum posts showed this was not just me. Whilst I do use Bluetooth headphones a lot, they are giving them away in a limited fashion in my experience. Additionally, I'd not be using those bluetooth headphones anywhere near as much if they included wired ones and / or a 3.5mm jack. I'm forced to use them, so I use them a lot. And if I lose one (easily done) I have to pay muchos to replace them. They aren't doing this out of the goodness of their hearts.

I'd much rather they ask when you buy the phone whether you need a charger, headphones, etc, with the default being not to supply.

Registered+
    Thanks

120hz display and a bigger battery with more efficient battery life with new chips are the main things that would get me to upgrade. The battery and soc part are essential, if your phone isn't that big and thus has a smaller battery, you're going to regret that decision once it quickly declines within a year. If the exynos chips are like their previous ones, it'll almost be like you're on the previous snapdragon generation in performance terms.

Registered+
    Thanks

Currently got a S20 that I dropped and smashed the screen on, Samsung offering £265 trade in, not sure whether its worth repairing or pay the extra (£270) and jump to the S21?

Registered+
    Thanks

I'm still happy with my Galaxy S9+ and don't see that there'd be much benefit in upgrading yet. I'm a little wary of not having an iris scanner as I find it way more reliable than a fingerprint sensor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information