Thread: Apple Boot Camp Public Beta review

Thanks

Apple Boot Camp Public Beta review

HEXUS.community stalwart Gordon Handley (Gordy) gets down and dirty with Apple Boot Camp Public Beta - the utility that let's Intel-based Macs dual-boot between Mac OS X and Windows XP.

Check out Gordy's comprehensive hands-on - lots of AVI videos in there, too, (here's a little, 1.8MB, taster) - and let us know your thoughts and questions.
    Last edited by Bob Crabtree; 13-04-2006 at 12:23 PM.

Thanks
    Has anyone bothered installing mac osx on their PCs?

Infact now that macs are too using x86 can they be considered macs? because they are sold by apple?? or because they have a "funky" design..

always wondered why mac users said pcs were rubbish.. it was windows they were making fun at im sure of it.. so now they want to run windows on their macs...

Oh i dont know.. its thursday and i have a few days left... i will use them to consume... something

Thanks
    PC's have never been the target of the average mac users dissapointment. Its the windows operating system.

Now in a ideal world everyone would use mac os x and we'd all be happy bunnys unfortunatly this is the real world hehe. Windows has the major market share and while most software is available for mac os x not everything is. (MS Access, Autocad to name but a few) mac users tend to have a pc for these packages and for games.

I know of mac users who travel with a powerbook/ibook and a pc laptop

Now they can sell the pc and just use one computer for everything. Just a quick restart and your in a windows world. It makes things much easier.

Another use is for a web developer, the only way until now to test in every major browsers was to have a mac and a pc now you can do it all with one machine.

I've got a lan this weekend and I'm taking my macbook as its far easier to move than my pc!

Thanks
    Do you think that steve jobs will be thinking.. hang on.. why dont we allow those people with pcs to use mac osx as an alternative to windows...

I know there are some "non-legal" versions flying around but I think it might be an idea for apple to maybe think about this?? not that they are short of cash.. but they have huge adverising slogans like "loading apple a day keeps the BSoD away"..

Thanks
    Just to ram home the point that Gordy makes in his review about doing a backup, you might care to read this Apple forum thread.

A number of people there are saying that Windows XP is running okay but they've lost access to their OS X partitions - and, in some cases, it looks like they might end up having to zap those partitions and lose their data and program set ups.

They didn't, of course, do backups and so have no get-out-of-jail cards.

What's unclear, though, is whether or not the people who had problems properly followed Apple's installation instructions.

Bob

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dom_xbox
    Do you think that steve jobs will be thinking.. hang on.. why dont we allow those people with pcs to use mac osx as an alternative to windows...

I know there are some "non-legal" versions flying around but I think it might be an idea for apple to maybe think about this?? not that they are short of cash.. but they have huge adverising slogans like "loading apple a day keeps the BSoD away"..
    Nah they will never do this well not in the short term, for one reason and one reason only drivers.

part of the reason os x is more stable is down to drivers, apple have only a small amount of devicies and cards to support. Windows has to allow for far more, the sheer amount of possibly computer specs makes windows impossible to perfect.

To catch up to windows for all the drivers wouldn't be worth the hassle. Add to that the fact it would eat up mac sales as well and you won't catch apple doing it.

As Mr Jobs has said in the past Apple is a hardware company not software.

Update on Boot Camp:

I took the macBookPro to a small Lan yesterday and it was a great success I had no problems and it was far far easier turning up with a laptop and a bag of bits than a whole pc. I will definitly be doing it again

Thread Information