Thread: HTC Touch Dual

I am Domo-Kun, hear me Roooaaaarrrrrrr!!! uchiha_itachi's Avatar
    Thanks

HTC Touch Dual

Been looking at PDA's/smartphones for some time now and I got to play about with one of these in an Orange shop today. Was really impressed, partly due to the small form factor of the phone and the software/ui was very easy to use.

Didnt commit to anything at that point as I thought I should do some research and check out reviews. The main negative point about the touch dual seems to be the lack of wi-fi. Is there anyone who currently owns one of these who could add any further negative comments to that. I think I could live without wi-fi access. Just means I would have to sync with pc using a cable as opposed to wireless. And to be honest, if I need to use the net at home, I would rather use the pc or laptop as opposed to the smartphone.

Also, anyone know if this might become available on another network provider anytime soon. My current contract runs out at the end of January, and Orange seem to be a bit restrictive with their tariffs.
    Quote Originally Posted by capt_cornflake View Post
    the large ones were definitely a 2 handed job.

Thanks

Re: HTC Touch Dual

Anybody?

Thanks

I've got a Windows Mobile phone with Wifi, and to be honest I hardly ever use the wifi functionality. I've got Web'n'walk which gives me 2gb/month over GPS/HSDPA and is plenty fast enough and doesn't need me to be in range of an open access point. Wifi also sucks battery. If you're going with the Orange data package, don't worry about the lack of wifi.

4. Received thanks from:

uchiha_itachi (23-12-2007)

Registered+
    Thanks

go get the touch from tmobile web and walk unlimited browsing for 7quid a month!
    --
    Neil J. McRae -- Alive and Kicking
    neil@DOMINO.ORG

Thanks

I have to admit, the T-mobile tarriffs seem more appealing, especially with the web and walk.

Just found out that the HTC touch dual is on its way to T-mobile under the name, MDA Touch Plus. More details here:

Tracy and Matt's Blog - T-Mobile MDA Touch Plus

Really hope T-mobile have it by mid-January.

Thanks

The wi-fi is pretty handy and if you have open networks arround does a good job. If you are taking a phone wi-fi IMO is the way to go

Thanks

So, I kinda caved in and just got the touch dual from Orange about a week ago. And so far, (from being an average joe nokia mobile phone type user) I have been very very impressed. The Windows Mobile operating system takes some getting used, as does the huge options available, but I think I am getting familiar with its workings now.

I really do like the form factor of the phone itself. It has to be one of the first pocket pc's I have used which doesnt feel the size of a brick. Very thin and light. I suppose I did achieve one of my main goals, which was to decrease on the amount of items I am carrying around with me on a daily basis. The touch dual means that I need no seperate phone, pda and or music player.

I'm very happy with it, and looking forward to some of the interesting roms and custom software which xda-developers are going to produce for it.

Bottom line, this is for anyone looking to get a pocket pc but put off by the huge sizes they come in. The touch dual not only is tiny and compact, but it also packs quite a punch and is a very powerful handset. The limiting factor is the lack of wi-fi. It also contains a standard 16-key layout which, lets be honest, can sometimes be a godsend when needing to type a quick text or email as opposed to a touch screen keyboard.

I hope that helps anyone looking to pick up this handset but not yet sure.

Thread Information