Thread: iPad 2 vs Sony Tablet S vs the world

Thanks

iPad 2 vs Sony Tablet S vs the world

Hi there!

I'm currently looking for a tablet and something that has at least 7" and not more than 10" screen. i thought a 10" one is big (because of the things i'll be mostly be doing with it) so anything in-between is almost perfect.

I've got some choices in mind. two of them not officially released yet in the UK namely the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus and the Tab 7.7. on the other hand the iPad 2 vs the Sony Tablet S.

I'll be mainly surfing the net, watch Youtube videos, facebook, twitter, viewing .pdf or .doc files, odd photos & uploading them, listening to music, playing games, using DLNA to watch movies to my TV.

My problem with the iPad 2 are several. namely the inability to send any files via bluetooth, lack of SD/microSD card support, a single mono speaker, a lacklustre front-facing & rear-facing camera amongst others.

My problem with Sony Tablet S are tiny/not-so-loud speakers, lack of Playstation games (even after roughly 4 months of being released and has a PS-certification why not enough games are coming out???) and that's it.

I want to weigh and balance all of them but...i don't know which to choose?

All of them are within my bidget but shall i wait for the iPad 3? shall i invest on the Exynos-powered Galaxy Tabs or jump in to the all-entertainment, all-dancing Sony tablet?

I want to buy something before the last week of march so i can bring it with me during my holiday.

please help....

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Re: iPad 2 vs Sony Tablet S vs the world

/\ me too.

same issue.

Ipad 2 or what?

I wanted a Win7 tab cos Iliek Microsoft Win7 but I cant see it working "right" on a touch screen./

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

3. Received thanks from:

gino_76ph (18-01-2012)

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

My mate has been pretty happy with his Asus Eee Transformer Prime and TBH it is the only tablet which for me which would replace a sub-noteboook for work purposes. In terms of hardware too,it is probably the fastest Android tablet too with the Tegra3 SOC and there is a version being released with a 1920X1200 screen too. The widescreen ratio is better suited for video playback.

However,if you intend to play games the iPad 2 is still the best as it has a very fast GPU. The iPad3 will no doubt be faster but the problem is that both the iPad3 and Asus Eee Transformer Prime+ with their higher resolution screens need to push more pixels.

Also,remember this. The current tablets are RAM limited on purpose. RAM is very cheap now and yet they pad the tablets with all these funky features. They are trying to push people from PC upgrade cycles to the shorter upgrade cycles which phones have. What will happen over time with OS and application updates is that the RAM will not be enough after a few years. Unlike with a laptop there is no possibility of installing more RAM or ordering the tablet with more RAM.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 17-01-2012 at 11:39 PM.

5. Received thanks from:

gino_76ph (18-01-2012)

Thanks

Aside from the ones i'v mentioned above (i.e. what i will be doing with a tablet) i love playing games. if i'm on a plane or a long train journey i would like to be playing a game or watch a movie or a really clear & vivid screen like the iPad 2 (or 3).

It is slowly looking right now that the iPad 2/3 is my likely choice but still there is this question at the back of my mind that the features & hardware are still not "up to par" with Android when it comes to multitasking and stuff.

Thread Information