Thread: iphone problem

Thanks

iphone problem

I really hope someone can help me with this because its driving my daughter nuts!

First I must point out that I know virtually nothing about iphones, itunes, icloud and so on. I’m not keen on Apple stuff and have pretty much kept away from it, but…….

My wife upgraded from an iphone 4S to the new 5S in December. She gave her old iphone to our daughter. Daughter installed her own sim card, got rid of all her Mum's music and tried to put her own music onto the iphone, using iTunes. She has her own iPod and has used iTunes for years to add music to that device, without any problems. However she is unable to put any of her music on the iphone. It just doesn't work. She showed me how she puts music on her ipod. She had just bought a Franz Ferdinand CD which she loaded into her laptop and imported into iTunes. She then hooked up her iPod to the laptop and did a simple drag and drop to put the whole album on the iPod. She then unplugged her iPod and replaced it with her iphone. The phone was recognized by iTunes but when she tried to drag and drop the album onto the phone the ‘circle with a diagonal line’ symbol appeared and she was unable to do the copy. There were no error messages. There’s loads of memory left in the phone.

Any ideas?
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Socket 775 (3.0GHz), stock cooler, Gigabyte GA-EP43-S3L iP43 Socket 775, OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 Gold Memory, PowerColor HD 4870 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDTV Out PCI-E Graphics Card, Seagate 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache, Arctic Power 500W PSU, Hann-G 19" widescreen
    Kitchen Table Browser: Dell XPS M1330 laptop
    On the Road: Alienware M14X laptop

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Re: iphone problem

You don't drag and drop, you synchronise.

Assuming the iphone is associated with her iTunes account then it'll sync automatically when connected (or over wifi if enabled), just like on the iPod.

If it's not associated she just needs to go to iTunes and add a new device (or whatever the terminology is).

Thanks

Well, as far as I understand it, she has followed the instructions in iTunes Help for 'synching your device manually' with both her iPod and iPhone. This is because she does not want her entire music collection on her laptop to be copied over, just selected tracks.

The procedure is (quote):

Sync your device manually
    If you use manual syncing, you can sync items from more than one iTunes library to your iPod. (You can sync iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad with only one iTunes library.)
    You can manually sync music, movies, TV shows, podcasts, and iTunes U lessons. You can’t manually sync photos and info (contacts, calendars, bookmarks, and so on).
    1. Connect your iPod, iPhone, or iPad to your computer and select your device.
    2. Click the Summary button and select “Manually manage music and videos” (below Options).
    3. Click the On This Device button.
    4. Click Add To on the right side of the iTunes window.
    5. Drag items from the left side of the iTunes window to the pane on the right. To add other types of content, choose a category from the Library pop-up menu.

Those are my italics, to highlight that the procedure does in fact involve 'drag and drop'. Works perfectly on her iPod, doesn't work on her iPhone.
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Socket 775 (3.0GHz), stock cooler, Gigabyte GA-EP43-S3L iP43 Socket 775, OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 Gold Memory, PowerColor HD 4870 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDTV Out PCI-E Graphics Card, Seagate 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache, Arctic Power 500W PSU, Hann-G 19" widescreen
    Kitchen Table Browser: Dell XPS M1330 laptop
    On the Road: Alienware M14X laptop

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

That's for manual syncing, there's no need to do that, you can just select which tracks you want to sync within the iTunes library per each device, and it'll just sync those tracks. The manual syncing is only needed when you have more than one iTunes library going to one iPod (ie you have several different iTunes accounts, but only one iPod/phone), in all other cases you should use normal syncing, which still allows for selective syncing and multiple devices.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

She may need to de-register the iPhone from her Mum's iTunes and iCloud IDs and re-register it with her own. (if she hasn't already done so)
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thread Information