Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: smart watch

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Re: smart watch

Quote Originally Posted by KeyboardDemon View Post
    I think this thread isn't really the place to start a debate on privacy and data confidentiality, in your case the two areas are closely bound together but I think they are two separate issues, but I do understand your reasoning, maybe it's something that might get taken up in another thread.

What has helped me though is your post about how useful smartphones are to people, it made me go back and examine how I use my smart phone first before I considered how I might be able to extend that experience into a smart watch scenario and from that I could see that there is no real reason for me to have one.
    It's only the place in which privacy etc is an issue in the sense that lodore asked what we thought about smartwatches in general, and my view is that, at the moment, they're a smart-phone adjunct, which means that the privacy issue impacts on my view of smart watches. If they ever become effective and useable standalone devices, privacy may well become an issue directly. So it's relevant to my view of smartphones / smartwatches, and is a significant part of why I'm not a fan. Is my view commonplace? Dunno, but I doubt it. It is, however, my view on smartwatches.

The usage issue does, I think, cover a huge spectrum, depending in large part about what benefits we each get, which depends largely on personal circumstances, and how bothered we each are about privacy risks. I do recognise that for many, even most, people the benefits are large (and varied), and I'm certainly not anti-smartphone. I think they're wonderful devices .... just not really for me, for reasons given. I'd bet, though, that I'm in a minority, and among the technically literate, a tiny minority, in not being very interested, and not owning one.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • BrandonP's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z87-G45 GAMING
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 4690
      • Memory:
      • G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Western Digital Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale Power 90+ 550W
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Neos White/Red
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung
      • Internet:
      • BT Fibre Optic

Nice........

Registered+
    Thanks

I like the idea of a smart watch, but I don't think the technology is there yet with regards to battery life and usability

Thanks
    second that, they are not that sophisticated yet but i probably would purchase one if they would have a much longer battery life with the nice clock faces always on and perhaps an easier way to charge them, movement or solar based. after all there are transparent solar panels on glass which ad least would allow for charging under bright sunlight to make up for the extra juice needed for the necessary brightness in daylight conditions :-)

you say it, here my more detailed view: http://forums.hexus.net/android/3279...ml#post3462958

Technojunkie
    Thanks

[necro thread someone bumped? but anyway]

I have worn a smartwatch for a little over a year, and initially it was bought as a tech gadget (and it was cheap £99 for a samsung gear with camera)
    but after the wow factor wore off I continued to wear it.

I wear it all day at work, and it's become invaluable for quickly and discretely checking notifications
    - wrist vibrates, I look at watch and see the email doesn't need actioning, < 1 second
    (note I don't even press anything - the watch displays it automatically)

Only problem is that glancing at your watch is the universal signal for "hurry up"
    Had a few meetings brought to a close due to that ..

The watch face also displays the next 2 mettings which is handy.
    I do still use the camera daily instead of hand-scribbling various info.
    Chrome & Firefox addons for BBC News
    Follow me @twitter

2nd star to the right, and straight on till morning.
    Thanks
    • TensaZangetsu's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Crosshair IV Extreme
      • CPU:
      • AMD 1090T
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • Corsair Force GS, WD Green, WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon 6870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 800D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • Twin Benq BL902 Monitors

I have an LG G Watch, bought when they were released on Google Play. Prior to that I had the Sony Smartwatch, and the Sony Ericsson MBW-150.

Honestly, I really enjoy the ability to just glance at my wrist instead of constantly look at my phone when something comes in. If I'm walking and have my bluetooth headset on, I can answer a call with the G Watch and go ahead and have a conversation without stopping to get my phone out. It may seem trivial, but it really does make me feel great.

That suggestion from philopek about transparent solar panels is a brilliant idea, I wonder if it can be applied to phones as well.

Thanks

Smart watches is aninevitable future. Surely they will become an integral part of smartphones.
    As for me, a smart watch should have a long battery life and a big functional potential. Safeband seems to be an interesting one.

Thanks

My nasty cheap Chinese sw literally crumbled after 2 months - banggood refused to replace it.
    Was going to wait until better devices were available and then I spotted the Sony SBH52 - a bluetooth handset - not headset.
    No more fumbling for big smartphone, contacts detail perfect call notifications and timely calendar notification - answer all my calls on it, much more discrete - probably means that I will not ever buy a smartphone, unless this type of handset stops being made.

Thanks

Smart watches are great, but now it’s still weaker compared to smartphones.

Thanks

Smartwatches are cool but less useful devices, usually having some functions of mobile and that's it.

If you are doing outdoor exercises like running you may find smartwatches with fitness tracker useful, in other cases its only cool gadget for showing off

Thread Information