Thread: Nokia 6630/iPAQ 2410 connection / web browsing

Thanks

Nokia 6630/iPAQ 2410 connection / web browsing

I'm currently shopping for both a smartphone and a PDA (don't want a PDA-phone, since (a) I'm a web designer/developer moving into mobile websites, so want two testing devices/screen sizes, and (b) I want 3G - too impatient for GPRS download speed - but DON'T want to fork out for an ugly-heavy JASJAR)).

At present therefore, I'm thinking of getting either a Nokia 6680 or 6630, then using it as a bluetooth modem for an HP iPAQ 2410.

I have some questions I'd appreciate any guidance with:

i) Is the bluetooth modem link between these two devices possible? (I'm aware I can surf using the iPAQ simpy by using my office wi-fi network, but may well want to access the web when out'n'about.)

ii) Web browsing: I checked out the tech spec on the 6630 and the Nokia site says “Web browser with improved HTML support”, referring to a ‘multi-mode’ browser for WAP/HTML/XHTML. The 6680 just says 'HTML/XHTML' in terms of web browsing. My question is: can they both browse the full, www, HTML internet?

It appears from my current provider (Virgin) that 3G is available via my current PAYG SIM - I really want to avoid contract - so I'm hoping that these two devices, plus a quick swap of SIM from my old phone, will deliver all I need.

Before I spend £500 though, can anyone confirm I'm actually talking any sense here? Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks
    ii) Web browsing: I checked out the tech spec on the 6630 and the Nokia site says “Web browser with improved HTML support”, referring to a ‘multi-mode’ browser for WAP/HTML/XHTML. The 6680 just says 'HTML/XHTML' in terms of web browsing. My question is: can they both browse the full, www, HTML internet?
    Yup, the 6680 definitely comes with a full web-browser. I believe that the current incarnation is based on Opera, but alternatively you can use the branded version of Opera or NetFront. Both work very well.

In order to access 3G services, you will need a 3G USIM. For raw data, I believe that even a 2G SIM will work though.

I'm not sure about your other questions though, sorry.

Thanks
    Thanks Aaron - you wouldn't believe the number of mobile phone shop salespeople who don't know that (though perhaps the ignorance of all of 'em about any of the products they're selling might be a good thread in itself. The only thing they do seem to understand is which contract they're currently being told to push).

I guess the difference you're talking about in 2G SIM and 3G USIM is that a 2G SIM won't deliver video calling and other 3G specific services? If the good old t'internet gets included in your reference to 2G 'raw data' then I'll be a happy bunny - the other stuff isn't key to me (yet).

Thanks
    That's my understanding of it. For video calling, the phone requires the authentication data stored on the USIM, but for general browsing it isn't needed. I've even heard of operators like Vodafone not requiring USIMs at all, thought I haven't tested this out myself.

Thread Information