• Antec P280
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 WFP 24" Widescreen, Rev A04
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 120/12 mb

What mobile insurance?

Im going to get a k800i on a contract. What insurance do you guys have for your phone? pay the network a fiver a month job, or something else?

Im thinking of just basic cover against theft really.

glaciation appreciation frazered's Avatar
    Thanks
    • frazered's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 (rev. 1.1)
      • CPU:
      • q6600 @ 3.06ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB crucial
      • Storage:
      • 4tb of hitachis
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX260
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520w
      • Case:
      • Antec p182
      • Operating System:
      • win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2007wfp
      • Internet:
      • BeUnlimited 16dn/1.2up attn 35db
    i don't have any insurance

just save 5 a month and it will pay for a new mobile if it gets nicked / damaged

Thanks
    er... £5/month = £60/year (I'm good at maths, me!)

Sim free price for phone - dunno? £150-200?

so you would need to be saving for a few years to cover the cost. And that's assuming that it doesn't get nicked in the first year! And don't forget you still need to pay the contract even if you haven't got a phone to use it on... Not worth the worry IMHO.

I use CUSC foneguard:
    http://www.cusc.co.uk/main.php?p=phones/cover

It's slightly cheaper than the network's own.

Mike

Thanks
    Mobile insurance is a waste of time and money. Don't be fooled and conned into it.

Don't you have home insurance? If you don't, you should be thinking about getting that, not phone insurance.

Most networks charge £10 per month for mobile insurance last time i checked (some might be £5, but they will have limited cover and will carry an excess). Thats £120 per year. Given that the most your home insurance's excess will be is £50, you could afford to claim almost 3 times on your home insurance (£50x3) and still have paid the same money out at the end of the day.

How many times do you expect to break, lose or have your phone nicked per year? If it more than three times a year then you a) need to move to a better part of the country, b) get some memory training, or c) dont bother owning a phone!

Also, you can factor in that most mobile insurance does a) have a excess too (usually about £20) and b) does not cover loss (home insurance should).

Dont forget that you will also have a 12 month warrenty with you phone for breakdown not caused by yourself and you will be upgrading every 12 months.

It's a rip off. Full stop. I get full home insurance that covers everything i own (up to £50,000 plus mobiles, MP3 players, etc, and even £200 cash in my wallet) - all for £15 a month. Thats just £5 more than an insurance for JUST a phone.

One other thing, they will tell you that mobile insurance covers you for any calls the thief makes, like ringing thier brother in india. Thats BS, the first thing 99% of thiefs will do is remove the SIM. Sure, it does happen but it's rare and some home insurance will cover this at no extra cost too (but make sure before you sign up).

Other than that, if you bank with barclays you can get a Plus account for £5 and month. As well as the other benifits, it comes with free mobile insurance.
    Last edited by autopilot; 18-07-2006 at 10:06 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerous_dom
    Mobile insurance is a waste of time and money. Don't be fooled and conned into it.

Don't you have home insurance? If you don't, you should be thinking about getting that, not phone insurance.

Most networks charge £10 per month for mobile insurance last time i checked (some might be £5, but they will have limited cover and will carry an excess). Thats £120 per year. Given that the most your home insurance's excess will be is £50, you could afford to claim almost 3 times on your home insurance (£50x3) and still have paid the same money out at the end of the day.

How many times do you expect to break, lose or have your phone nicked per year? If it more than three times a year then you a) need to move to a better part of the country, b) get some memory training, or c) dont bother owning a phone!

Also, you can factor in that most mobile insurance does a) have a excess too (usually about £20) and b) does not cover loss (home insurance should).

Dont forget that you will also have a 12 month warrenty with you phone for breakdown not caused by yourself and you will be upgrading every 12 months.

It's a rip off. Full stop. I get full home insurance that covers everything i own (up to £50,000 plus mobiles, MP3 players, etc, and even £200 cash in my wallet) - all for £15 a month. Thats just £5 more than an insurance for JUST a phone.

One other thing, they will tell you that mobile insurance covers you for any calls the thief makes, like ringing thier brother in india. Thats BS, the first thing 99% of thiefs will do is remove the SIM. Sure, it does happen but it's rare and some home insurance will cover this at no extra cost too (but make sure before you sign up).

Other than that, if you bank with barclays you can get a Plus account for £5 and month. As well as the other benifits, it comes with free mobile insurance.

You obviously dont know either of my sisters
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    That's all well and good until your phone gets stolen. I had 2 stolen within 12months, but nothing else in 4 years. I only pay £4 a month through barclays (mine didn't come with free mobile insurance, you got a link?)

Thanks
    • steve threlfall's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Core i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 830 256
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon HD6870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX750
      • Case:
      • Antec P280
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 120/12 mb

Ok, lets clarify here...

I know that the insurance offered by phone companies is a rip off, thats why i made this thread to see what good alternatives are available.

I want insurance to protect against theft. At the moment i use a cheap pay as you go phone so if i got mugged its not a problem. If however i had a very expensive k800i stolen from me and in addition i still had to pay the contract... i would then be seriously out of pocket.

Of course i have home insurance. Are you saying that home contents insurance would cover me for having my phone stolen?

I dont expect to break my phone or lose it but i am worried about the possibility of my flash new phone getting stolen meaning i would have to replace it (k800i are not cheap )

Im sure that moving to a better part of the country would be much cheaper than some sort of phone insurance

Are you saying that your home insurance would replace your mobile phone if you were mugged for it while out and about? I wouldnt have thought that to be the case but if im wrong thats good news

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by steve threlfall
    Are you saying that your home insurance would replace your mobile phone if you were mugged for it while out and about? I wouldnt have thought that to be the case but if im wrong thats good news
    Of course it will, unless you have a very crap policy. In that case you should think about changing it.

I have been with 6 different home insurance companies, all of which have covered my mobile for loss, acidental damage and thief as standard mate

Call your insurance company to make sure.

Thanks
    • steve threlfall's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Core i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 830 256
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon HD6870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX750
      • Case:
      • Antec P280
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 120/12 mb
    Of course it will, unless you have a very crap policy. In that case you should think about changing it.

I have been with 6 different home insurance companies, all of which have covered my mobile for loss, acidental damage and thief as standard mate

Call your insurance company to make sure.
    Great. I'l call to make sure but cheers

Thread Information