Thread: Damaging viruses - good or bad?

Thanks

Arrow Damaging viruses - good or bad?

This should be an interesting topic conversation:
    Quote Originally Posted by Some guy on slashdot
    glad to see virus's doing some real damage now, im tired of these stupid virus that just send out emails.. how weak, if we had more virus's that would wipe out entire systems then there would be some more pressure on software companys to fix things.
    I really do think this is the only real way to get users and software writers to sort out security QUICKLY.

It will also mean that less people are using my Internet; because their computer no longer boots, lol.

The quote is taken from a slashdot article, incidentally related to this thread
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Thanks
    It's all very well, but lets say some how, through no fault of your own, your PC gets wiped because of a new virus/exploit... I know I wouldn't be best pleased!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz316
    It's all very well, but lets say some how, through no fault of your own, your PC gets wiped because of a new virus/exploit... I know I wouldn't be best pleased!
    True - but I'd enjoy laying into Microsoft!
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();

Oh no!I've re-dorkalated! Jiff Lemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    One mildly interesting thing in the current NetSKY/My doom virus outbreak is that infection by one, disinfects the other.

A virus that removes a virus!

(the writers are still the scum of the earth and deserve pointy bits removing with blunt rusty scissors)

Custom User Title
    Thanks
    • emul8's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel PM55
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920XM
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Kingston HyperX PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • 2x60g OCZ Vertex 2e Raid0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Quadro FX3800M
      • PSU:
      • DELL
      • Case:
      • M6500 Mobile Work Station
      • Operating System:
      • Windows7 64/XP32
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell ST2410
      • Internet:
      • SKY 20Mb
    its a posibility that virus software comps put out mild viruses to create a better market but on the hole i think its the big companys wich are most likley to get hit by nasty viruses

Registered+
    Thanks
    No this is bad. It is the end user who suffers the most, you and me, or more likely our less technical literate family members and friends. I doubt that it will really make a significant difference in terms of improving software.

This is kind of like saying lets go try and burgle everyone’s house in order to force people to get better security on their homes. Would you advocate this course of action as well?
    "Keyboard missing - press F3 to continue" Message seen on an Apricot PC.
    "To start press any key. Where's the any key?" Homer Simpson.
    Hexus Trust

Thanks
    • Paul Adams's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VIII
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-6700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • 2x250GB SSD / 500GB SSD / 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GeForce GTX1080
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Philips 40" 4K
      • Internet:
      • 500Mbps fiber
    I would echo Anders' sentiments exactly - viruses are not "better" because they are more destructive!

If that were believed, the Code Red and Nimda worms should have had (1 of) 2 effects:
    i) make people setting up web servers more aware of what they should do to protect the default installations of IIS
    ii) make people switch from IIS to another web server

Given the time these blended worms have been out, along with SQL Slammer, you would hope to see no probes from infected servers - but there are hundreds registered daily by our IDS, so people haven't learned.

Even if software holes are plugged, it still relies on the user actually obtaining and installing the patch - for all the slating Microsoft usually get, exploits that worms/viruses take advantage of have invariably had fixes available for months.
    ~ I have CDO. It's like OCD except the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be. ~
    PC: Win10 x64 | Asus Maximus VIII | Core i7-6700K | 16GB DDR3 | 2x250GB SSD | 500GB SSD | 2TB SATA-300 | GeForce GTX1080
    Camera: Canon 60D | Sigma 10-20/4.0-5.6 | Canon 100/2.8 | Tamron 18-270/3.5-6.3

Thanks
    So it seems no matter what a virus does, human laziness means security never really gets better.

Shame.
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();

Oh no!I've re-dorkalated! Jiff Lemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kez
    So it seems no matter what a virus does, human laziness means security never really gets better.

Shame.
    The alternative? Microsoft have already bounced the idea of Forcing updates down to Machines. Look at the stuff they are doing in a corporate environment - They're advising quarantining machines that aren't up to spec (Service packs, antivirus etc) and placing them in a holding network until updated.

So what? you may think. Think of the internet as one big corporate network and you've an interesting scenario.

Personally I'm all for ISPs denying you access if youve become infected with a virus.

Thanks
    • Paul Adams's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VIII
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-6700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • 2x250GB SSD / 500GB SSD / 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GeForce GTX1080
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Philips 40" 4K
      • Internet:
      • 500Mbps fiber
    Quote Originally Posted by kez

Shame.
    Bingo.
    Anything that relies on users to take regular action to protect themselves is doomed to failure, through laziness, ignorance or simple lack of desire to (have to) learn about the software they use.

Users are the biggest security hole in any system.

You could adopt the policy that all users must use 15-character passwords, using upper and lower case, numbers and non-alphanumeric symbols, which must be changed every 30 days.
    The upshot of that would be hundreds of Post-It notes with passwords scrawled on them stuck on monitors.

I would love ISPs to take ownership of problems around spam, open relay servers and viruses by warning their customers and then denying them service if they failed to heed the warning - to my knowledge only 2 ISPs worldwide have even started to look at this
    ~ I have CDO. It's like OCD except the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be. ~
    PC: Win10 x64 | Asus Maximus VIII | Core i7-6700K | 16GB DDR3 | 2x250GB SSD | 500GB SSD | 2TB SATA-300 | GeForce GTX1080
    Camera: Canon 60D | Sigma 10-20/4.0-5.6 | Canon 100/2.8 | Tamron 18-270/3.5-6.3

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Adams
    I would love ISPs to take ownership of problems around spam, open relay servers and viruses by warning their customers and then denying them service if they failed to heed the warning - to my knowledge only 2 ISPs worldwide have even started to look at this
    I actually complained to my ISP that they weren't providing me with the service I pay for by letting their mail servers be used as open relays, and letting viruses get in through their system, and most importantly not disconnecting people whose computers were infected with mass mailing worms.

They are "looking into implementing measures against this."
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();

Thread Information