Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 - 32 or 64 Bit?

Overclocking Since 1988 nightkhaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Windows 7 - 32 or 64 Bit?

Quote Originally Posted by Zef View Post
    The 64 bit version will generally run 32 bit programs fine. The main pitfall is the driver situation, so check that 64 bit drivers are available before installing. As for the benefit, it's better performance with stuff that's been specifically written for 64 bit. Basically 64 bit versions of high end software and games will be faster (in theory). A few years ago it just wasn't worth the hassle for most people but now I'd say go for 64 bit.
    Drivers? Hmm. I think you'll find you're well out of date. Any hardware that is still within it's support life has 64 bit drivers now.
    Desktop (Cy): Intel Core i7 920 D0 @ 3.6GHz, Prolimatech Megahalems, Gigabyte X58-UD5, Patriot Viper DDR3 6GiB @ 1440MHz 7-7-7-20 2T, EVGA NVIDIA GTX 295 Co-Op, Asus Xonar D2X, Hauppauge WinTV Nova TD-500, 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB in RAID 0, 4x Samsung EcoDrive 1.5TB F2s in RAID 5, Corsair HX 750W PSU, Coolermaster RC-1100 Cosmos Sport (Custom), 4x Noctua P12s, 6x Noctua S12Bs, Sony Optiarc DVD+/-RW, Windows 7 Professional Edition, Dell 2408WFP, Mirai 22" HDTV

MacBook Pro (Voyager): Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.6GHz, 4GiB DDR2 RAM, 200GB 7200RPM HDD, NVIDIA 8600GTM 512MB, SuperDrive, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, 15.4" Matte Display

HTPC (Delta-Flyer): Intel Core 2 Q8200 @ 2.33GHz, Zotec GeForce 9300-ITX, 2GiB of DDR2 Corsair XMS2 RAM, KWorld PE355-2T, Samsung EcoDrive F2 1.5TB, In-Win BP655, Noctua NF-R8, LiteOn BluRay ROM Drive, Windows 7 Home Premium, 42" Sony 1080p Television

i7 (Bloomfield) Overclocking Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Spock
    I am not our father.

Thanks
    • Smudger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gbyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX8320 Black Edition
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 2x8G CML16GX3M2A1600C10
      • Storage:
      • 1x240Gb Corsair M500, 2TB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD4890 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Akasa Zen
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200Mbit

Quote Originally Posted by pp05 View Post
    List the apps.

If you have old hardware that has unsigned drivers - 32bit might be better bet.
    There are not many 64bit applications out yet.
    I suppose the major ones are Office XP and the original Call of Duty. Everything else I use is downloadable from Microsoft or Google...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smudger View Post
    I suppose the major ones are Office XP and the original Call of Duty. Everything else I use is downloadable from Microsoft or Google...
    Then you will be fine. In fact I'm pressed to think of a situation where x64 would be a headache.
    Desktop (Cy): Intel Core i7 920 D0 @ 3.6GHz, Prolimatech Megahalems, Gigabyte X58-UD5, Patriot Viper DDR3 6GiB @ 1440MHz 7-7-7-20 2T, EVGA NVIDIA GTX 295 Co-Op, Asus Xonar D2X, Hauppauge WinTV Nova TD-500, 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB in RAID 0, 4x Samsung EcoDrive 1.5TB F2s in RAID 5, Corsair HX 750W PSU, Coolermaster RC-1100 Cosmos Sport (Custom), 4x Noctua P12s, 6x Noctua S12Bs, Sony Optiarc DVD+/-RW, Windows 7 Professional Edition, Dell 2408WFP, Mirai 22" HDTV

MacBook Pro (Voyager): Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.6GHz, 4GiB DDR2 RAM, 200GB 7200RPM HDD, NVIDIA 8600GTM 512MB, SuperDrive, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, 15.4" Matte Display

HTPC (Delta-Flyer): Intel Core 2 Q8200 @ 2.33GHz, Zotec GeForce 9300-ITX, 2GiB of DDR2 Corsair XMS2 RAM, KWorld PE355-2T, Samsung EcoDrive F2 1.5TB, In-Win BP655, Noctua NF-R8, LiteOn BluRay ROM Drive, Windows 7 Home Premium, 42" Sony 1080p Television

I am not our father.

4. Received thanks from:

Smudger (26-10-2009)

Professional Bum
    Thanks

64bit is absolutely fine if you have a very standard machine with nothing too unusual or slightly older hardware/software. However, it's not all roses as I have found out by running Win7 64bit for the last week or so.

One of the main problems is driver support for older hardware. I have a TV card which works like a dream in XP, but as the company have gone out of business they never produced 64bit drivers for Vista64/Win7-64. There are plenty of 32bit drivers knocking around but none for 64bit. So check that you can get drivers for all your older/unusual hardware or you could be in trouble.

Everday performance is nothing to shout about tbh compared to 32bit. I've got a few specific 64bit applications but they haven't magically become super fast and amazing. There's not a lot of performance gain to be honest and where there is some, I'm not exactly bowled over with amazement. Internet Explorer 64bit (currently) does not support flash so you pretty much have to use the 32bit version anyway.

IMO, 64bit is still a few years away from being mainstream as the benefits are simply not worth the extra potential hassle (though it's pretty transparent unless you have issues). They have to start making a push toward it and it will become the standard eventually. However, for your everyday user, they don't care whether it's 64 bit. It just has to work and work well which is what Windows7 has got spot on this time around.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate 64bit, but it's not the silver bullet that some people preach it to be. It will be the standard, but I don't think Win7 is going to be the OS that does it. The benefits simply aren't there at the moment and the average user just doesn't need more than 4Gb of RAM.
    ASUS P5K Premium || Q6600 || 4Gb RAM || 8800GTS

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wombar View Post
    64bit is absolutely fine if you have a very standard machine with nothing too unusual or slightly older hardware/software. However, it's not all roses as I have found out by running Win7 64bit for the last week or so.
    Speak for yourself. I'd like you to define your "unusual hardware" that doesn't have 64bit drivers, and ignore out of date hardware, I refer to that below.

One of the main problems is driver support for older hardware. I have a TV card which works like a dream in XP, but as the company have gone out of business they never produced 64bit drivers for Vista64/Win7-64. There are plenty of 32bit drivers knocking around but none for 64bit. So check that you can get drivers for all your older/unusual hardware or you could be in trouble.
    Yes, older, out of service hardware will not be supported. But to fact of the matter is very few people retain their older hardware, and those that do won't run it on their brand new machine now will they? Drivers that don't work in 64bit Windows 7 are just as likely not to work in 32bit Windows 7 as well.

Everday performance is nothing to shout about tbh compared to 32bit. I've got a few specific 64bit applications but they haven't magically become super fast and amazing. There's not a lot of performance gain to be honest and where there is some, I'm not exactly bowled over with amazement. Internet Explorer 64bit (currently) does not support flash so you pretty much have to use the 32bit version anyway.
    That is not the point. It is not supposed to perform better, it is supposed to allow more applications to run at the same time, i.e. more addressable memory, and allow applications to handle larger data sets, i.e. more addressable memory. It also allow variables to hold more data without losing accuracy, reducing calculation time significantly when handling very large (in terms of bit length) numbers.

IMO, 64bit is still a few years away from being mainstream as the benefits are simply not worth the extra potential hassle (though it's pretty transparent unless you have issues). They have to start making a push toward it and it will become the standard eventually. However, for your everyday user, they don't care whether it's 64 bit. It just has to work and work well which is what Windows7 has got spot on this time around.
    It is, and should be mainstream now. Computers are being released with 4GBs of RAM, and computers with more than 3GBs of RAM are plainly ripping users off if they don't ship with a 64bit OS. The average user is not aware of the issue cause no one told them, so we should tell them. If you find a machine that can't address all it's memory, tell the user the were ripped off, and they will likely complain to the manufacturer or retailer they bought the machine from.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate 64bit, but it's not the silver bullet that some people preach it to be. It will be the standard, but I don't think Win7 is going to be the OS that does it. The benefits simply aren't there at the moment and the average user just doesn't need more than 4Gb of RAM.
    Silver bullet? Where did you get that from? It's hardly a miracle. It's not even unique, 64bit is even ancient by computing standards. The point is that it was time to go 64bit when Vista came out. 64bit is now gone my friend. Now it's time to take it up. And yes, that one piece of old hardware that doesn't work? Well leave it in an old XP rig if you really need. The only reason that Windows 7 ships in 32bit, in my opinion, is the Atom.
    Last edited by nightkhaos; 26-10-2009 at 10:54 PM.

I am not our father.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

You'll never need more than 640K!!!1!
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Quote Originally Posted by nightkhaos View Post
    The only reason that Windows 7 ships in 32bit, in my opinion, is the Atom.
    Exactly, and that was a brain-dead move on the part of Intel. In fact, their entire x86_64 effort has been pitiful and retarded. It's like they're still sulking over how much of a disaster IA64 has been.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Thanks
    • user1453's system
      • Motherboard:
      • asus p5n-e SLI
      • CPU:
      • e4400 core 2 duo at 3.5Ghz
      • Memory:
      • ddr 800 at ddr 778
      • Storage:
      • 2x 640gb WD in raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • hd4850 512 mb
      • PSU:
      • 600w enermax
      • Operating System:
      • windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22 inch 16:10 1680x1050
      • Internet:
      • 23mb/1.3mb

all 64 bit versions of windows suport the capability to run 32 bit apps period

if you look into the amd64 processpr architecture or the intel equivilent you will find that it was designed such that 32 bit software would run nativly on the processor

the only problem you will ever encounter with running a 64bit system is lack of drivers which should be a non problem for more recent hardware

some programs eg older games may have trouble under the new kernal, the price of progress I'm afraid

if you are installing windows 7 and can get 64 bit drivers for everything you want to use install 64bit win7, no point in installing 32 bit if your hardware can support 64 bit

anything that will run on windows 7 32 bit will run on windows 7 64 bit

as far as xp mode goes it was designed to run legacy apps for buisness, not run games, however I have found the various compatability modes work very well for installing older games

I'm currently playing kotor and it is the only game that is having trouble for me under windows 7

Professional Bum
    Thanks

Sorry nightkhaos but we're going to have to agree to disagree here because you have a totally different view to 64bit to me. There are going to be a lot of people upgrading to Win7 so they won't necessarily have the newest hardware or even a new machine. Your opinion seems to be that you shouldn't dream of running 64bit on hardware that is more than a couple of years old but is still very good at what it does. Most older hardware works fine under 32bit as the drivers are available for Vista/XP but 64bit is relatively new in the OS world for the everyday user. My Terratec DMX6Fire PCI doesn't work under 64 bit as they haven't produced drivers for it. This is down to each manufacturer. Alternatively my RME Fireface 800 works superbly as RME have always been on the ball with their drivers.

Yes, older, out of service hardware will not be supported. But to fact of the matter is very few people retain their older hardware, and those that do won't run it on their brand new machine now will they?
    I do a lot of recording and that's where I think you'll find your statement above doesn't hold true. Just because a soundcard is PCI and 3 years old, it doesn't mean you should HAVE to replace it to run 64bit. Some of these cards run into the thousands of pounds and some of the manufacturers are still catching up or just not producing 64 bit drivers. Generally speaking, people don't upgrade their pro level sound cards just to upgrade to a new OS because it's a MASSIVE outlay.

The average user is not aware of the issue cause no one told them, so we should tell them. If you find a machine that can't address all it's memory, tell the user the were ripped off, and they will likely complain to the manufacturer or retailer they bought the machine from.
    Yes I absolutely agree

Silver bullet? Where did you get that from? It's hardly a miracle. It's not even unique, 64bit is even ancient by computing standards. The point is that it was time to go 64bit when Vista came out. 64bit is now gone my friend. Now it's time to take it up. And yes, that one piece of old hardware that doesn't work? Well leave it in an old XP rig if you really need. The only reason that Windows 7 ships in 32bit, in my opinion, is the Atom.
    I said silver bullet because there are a lot of posts saying that going to 64bit is entirely painless and brings nothing but benefits (I'm not saying your are btw). Yes there are definitely benefits but not everyone will have a smooth ride if they need to run older programs or hardware and the majority of users ARE running older hardware. I am going to have to spend £250+ to replace my software/hardware that doesn't run in 64bit. Or alternatively, I could just roll back to 32bit for a year or so. That's why they produced a 32bit version of Win7, they know that the average PC user generally doesn't want to replace hardware that worked fine in vista.
    ASUS P5K Premium || Q6600 || 4Gb RAM || 8800GTS

Thanks

Fair enough my friend. It is unfortunate that your hardware does not work in Windows 7.

But I think you will find that the majority of users upgrading are also naive and don't know how to maintain old hardware, and will also be running sub-£500 machines that they can easily replace.

I am not our father.

Thanks
    • Syllopsium's system
      • Motherboard:
      • D975XBX2
      • CPU:
      • Q6700
      • Memory:
      • 8GB ECC DDR2 667
      • Storage:
      • 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTX and 7600GT - four monitors
      • PSU:
      • 600W Seasonic S12
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Stacker
      • Operating System:
      • Vista x64, OpenBSD
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 IBM C220p 22" CRT, one 17" VP730 TFT, one Zalman Trimon 19" 3D monitor
      • Internet:
      • 12Mb Be Internet

I do a lot of recording and that's where I think you'll find your statement above doesn't hold true.
    There will always be exceptions. If you're using pro software for professional purposes, the last thing you should be doing is upgrading OS on day one. Expensive hardware should provide you the ability to jump up and down and ask when they'll have drivers, though.

Then again, in theory the companies you pay lots of money to should be up to date on OS support. In practice it's not unusual for them to not even bother starting to support an OS until it's released.

Vista x64 drivers should work in Windows 7, though (although there may be some limitations if using Vista's WDDM 1.0 display drivers instead of 7's WDDM 1.1).

PK

Thanks
    • Smudger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gbyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX8320 Black Edition
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 2x8G CML16GX3M2A1600C10
      • Storage:
      • 1x240Gb Corsair M500, 2TB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD4890 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Akasa Zen
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200Mbit

I went for 64 bit in the end, the only thing that didn't work was my ancient Webcam NX Pro that I never used anyway,,,

ati
    Thanks

hello all

would these run on win 7 x64:

office 2007, ms project 03 o7 and maybe visio 7, cad 10 thats the most of it for now. i take it SW that ran of Vista wouldnt necessarly run on 7.

thanks

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Wooglie's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit P5B
      • CPU:
      • Intel C2d E7200 @ 3.6GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB DDr2 G.Skill
      • Storage:
      • 150GB WD Velociraptor
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVidia GTX 275
      • Case:
      • Hiper Osiris
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro 64

Office (32bit) works fine on 64 bit windows 7 (you'd expect it to being microsoft as there isn't a 64 bit version of office), don't know about CAD I'm afraid.

ati
    Thanks

thanks a lot as long it works.

dell been a pain in regards to win xp support.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Just out of interest what is everyone's experience of memory footprint for Windows 7? I stuck the 32bit RC on my HTPC just for fun, and I'm pretty impressed that its memory footprint is only ~ 550MB: that's 200 lower than in the Hexus 7 review. Is anyone running both so they could do a comparison for us? I would, but I just don't have the time or energy ro reinstall the OS twice (at the minute, anyway: perhaps I will later... )

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information