Thread: Hey.. I beat the countdown nerd

Commander Keen
    Thanks

Hey.. I beat the countdown nerd

Well.. I got a program that 0wns everyone on countdown. You guessed it. I am idling after getting my degree, and there was ABSOLUTELY nothing on tv, and so I saw this british staple show. And got irritated that a spotty git beat me. Don't get mad... get even.

Hax3d together an anagram generator in java that works quite well. I suppose I just need a better dictionary to improve things - standard usr/bin/words or wherever it is.

Now all I need to do is figure out the number generator.. darn it. don't really see how that is possible without trying out EVERY possible combination of + - * /, and some kind of range limiter saying that if it gets within 5 of the target it should print out the order, stop calculating this stream, then try another path.

OR. as I am typing this. How about simply taking the target number, and trying to reach 0 ? hmm.. that seems a bit better.

Thanks
    Every combination isn't too difficult. I wrote something similar back in GCSE IT using BBC BASIC.

One skin, two skin......
    Thanks
    It happens where it isn't possible to get to a particular number with the numbers presented and only + - / * to use.

You need to work on iteration methinks. This is the kind of stuff those self-evolving computers use and is VERY complicated.

Commander Keen
    Thanks
    hey.. I see that your rep is rising rapidly big richard.

I swear it was ten in the other thread. Plus. I fought that the splelling thing was a fare point.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Big RICHARD
    It happens where it isn't possible to get to a particular number with the numbers presented and only + - / * to use.
    So keep a record of the closest number obtained and the expression done.

You need to work on iteration methinks. This is the kind of stuff those self-evolving computers use and is VERY complicated.
    You need nothing of the sort. There is a strictly finite set of expressions using the Countdown rules and numbers. Give me a few hours and I'll try to pull out my old code. It's on my Acorn which is sans PSU at the mo.

Commander Keen
    Thanks
    was postulating that arrays are crap.. Go on. Admit it, you hate the little buggers.

So I converted it to hashtable which has VERY interesting properties. Works using "containsKey" method. Which is more consice programming. Any inefficiency is cleary outweighed by no longer having to compute signatures ?

AND. the program now is guaranteed to find any anagram or word that can be constructed from the input characters. Something that was bugging me when I used arrays to get an alphabetical signature, and regular expressions (these two combined seem to be the traditional approach)

Just bringing this thread to a happy little conclusion.

Thread Information