Thread: My computer always plays up when I try and use sleep mode...

ZaO

Unhappy My computer always plays up when I try and use sleep mode...

I know this could be caused by so many things but I'm gonna ask anyway incase anyone can help me figure it out. When I put my computer to sleep, the mouse doesn't work when I power it back up. You see the light on the mouse flash on real quick, then it goes straight off. I have to wait for around 30 seconds, unplug the mouse, then plug it back in for it to work. I recently set the cpu at stock speed and found this stopped happening. So I guess that's that one solved. But when I did this a new problem appeared. When I put the computer into sleep mode it only stays asleep for a few seconds and then boots up all by itself and goes to the login screen. It doesn't matter if the cpu is overclocked or not, it always does this now! So I can no longer use sleep mode and am forced to shut the computer down every night which I really hate doing. Anyone got any ideas or suggestions? :/ Thanks.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Re: My computer always plays up when I try and use sleep mode...

The latter problem can be troubleshooted by running the powercfg self diagnostic - open an elevated permissions command prompt and run
    Code:
    powercfg -ENERGY
    It'll general an HTML report which highlights drivers/hardware and settings that prevent windows from sleeping.

Larkspeed

After having the same issue with my wifes computer we diagnosed it back the the cordless mouse.

Since you have already had an issue caused by the mouse this is where I would start.

Unplug the mouse or it's receiver if it's cordless and try putting the computer to sleep.

If it sleeps fine then you have found your problem and you can try it with a different mouse.

Same type of issue can be caused by an optical mouse on certain mouse mats there can be movement so minute that you don't notice it with your eyes but the PC see's it and it's enough to prevent sleep mode or pull the machine out of sleep.

To test this just try flipping your mouse upside down and see if the computer goes into and stays in sleep properly.

ZaO

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    The latter problem can be troubleshooted by running the powercfg self diagnostic - open an elevated permissions command prompt and run
    Code:
    powercfg -ENERGY
    It'll general an HTML report which highlights drivers/hardware and settings that prevent windows from sleeping.
    Thanks for the tip. I ran that and it said I had some errors and warnings. But when I tried to open the file it wouldn't work :/

Quote Originally Posted by Larkspeed View Post
    After having the same issue with my wifes computer we diagnosed it back the the cordless mouse.

Since you have already had an issue caused by the mouse this is where I would start.

Unplug the mouse or it's receiver if it's cordless and try putting the computer to sleep.

If it sleeps fine then you have found your problem and you can try it with a different mouse.

Same type of issue can be caused by an optical mouse on certain mouse mats there can be movement so minute that you don't notice it with your eyes but the PC see's it and it's enough to prevent sleep mode or pull the machine out of sleep.

To test this just try flipping your mouse upside down and see if the computer goes into and stays in sleep properly.
    Good idea. I should've thought of that. I thought that other issue was just caused by the cpu oc but I guess not. I unplugged the mouse and sleep mode worked. Still have the issues with the mouse not working when I wake the computer and also it's not ideal to have to keep unplugging and plugging back in the mouse every time. My last motherboard didn't do this so I think it's a bios conflict with my mouse drivers. I've already tried reinstalling the drivers on plenty of occasions but it never works. These uefi bios's are always conflicting with mice, especially logitech ones! Not sure there's anything I can do about this unless anyone has any other ideas? Cheers.

Edit: I noticed something else to. In device manager I disable the mouse or keyboard from being able to wake the computer but I can still use the keyboard to wake the computer and probably could with the mouse if there wasn't this weird issue. Seems like the bios might be conflicting with windows power management options...

Thread Information