Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "no cd" patching - Opinions.

Thanks
    Also what about games that spanned several discs.

I vaguely remember a windows 95 arcade/theme park game that spanned 7 CDs. (all full of data!)
    Woohoo now Assistant Manager!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PrivatePyle
    Thats so rare now, I dont think it happens as people easily can have the space free on a hdd for it, but if it did, then we would just have to lump it.

If any game asked me to swap cd's during game I'd not play it.
    What if the game is a newly released, highly rated and half-way through a mission it asks you to swap CDs just because you just moved passed a certain point. And when you backstep it asks for a CD change AGAIN!

Thanks
    That's because the larger map games use a lot more memory to load the complete map into memory. If you've played Postal 2 you'll notice the change of 'map.' Good thing is it's only on 1 disc but it loads the next part of the map if you move fast i.e. every 10 minutes.

smtkr
    I use nocd cracks on every game that I own (except UT2003, which after a certain patch, did not require you to crack it). I hate having to put in a cd every time I want to play one of my games, and I hate the noise of a CD-ROM

Thanks
    • schmunk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit NF7-S v2.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Athlon-M 2500+
      • Memory:
      • 1GB of Corsair BH-5 and 512MB of something else
      • Storage:
      • 160GB Seagate Barracuda
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon X800Pro, flashed to XT
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type-M ~400W
      • Case:
      • Antec cheapy
      • Monitor(s):
      • AG Neovo F19 LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 4MB/s
    Quote Originally Posted by Workaholic
    What if the game is a newly released, highly rated and half-way through a mission it asks you to swap CDs just because you just moved passed a certain point. And when you backstep it asks for a CD change AGAIN!
    I would say you should get the DVD version...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by schmunk
    I would say you should get the DVD version...
    what if there's not a DVD version or the general public don't have a DVD drive?

Thanks
    definately do not like putting CD's in for games. When I pay my $, I want to keep the disks clean and unused because their is no technical reson to load the disk except that they want you to. Also don't like paying extra for a DVD vs. ~5 CD's when it has to be cheaper to print 1 DVD. 2c

Registered+
    Thanks
    As long as you have the original, that I would of thought that NO CD patches would be OK.

I guess u could just image the game too.

I remember when EA released some dodgy BF1942 disks that shattered in ppl's drives, use a no cd patch, preserve the original install CD

Thanks
    What's the point of online games like BF2 checking for the CD anyway? EA can check that my copy is legal via the CD key when I log on, so why the need for the CD to be in the drive too?

Thanks

Wink

I have a game called Devastation i played ages ago i played again not long ago but i could not get it play i had installed service pack 2.
    I went to the games web site but i could not find a answer so i found a thread about running the game with a no cd crack i treid it and it played perfect even without the cd i think its a good idea to install a no cd if it saves you keep changing disc and also keeps the disc in top condition.

Thanks
    Before we carry on, I think people should know this;

You have LEGAL RIGHT to back up any software (game) that you legally own. The law is different regarding software than it is with music CD's and movie DVD's. I'm not sure exactly why this is, I’m guessing it's partly down to the high cost of some software disks, such as Windows XP Pro etc. But you can back up your games. Check the law its there in black and white. There is a specific clause covering games and software.

However, it's still illegal to circumvent copy protection systems and/or modify the original code. Therefore the games publishers are preventing you from exercising your legal rights.

Mad, eh?

I use NO-CD cracks because I want to protect my investment. I'm very sorry if people choose to use them to play games they don't legally own, but that’s not my fault. I don't give people any copies of my software, therefore I’m not depriving any company of any revenue and I certainly not stealing anything from anyone. I firmly believe that once I have paid out a fair some of money is not only not morally wrong, but it is in fact my RIGHT.

The media companies continue to bend the rules and manipulate the law to suit their own greedy needs. No-CD patches just levels the playing field a little in favor of the consumer, the people who are actually paying for all this. All this 'Fair Play' crap only seems to apply to the corporations these day. Good on the people who write these no-CD cracks i say.

Piracy is wrong and should be stopped. But how many of our rights as a consumer need to be given up in pursuit of this?

Anyway, I would LOVE to see a test case in which someone attempts prosecution against someone using a NoCD patch on a game they own. I think it's a fairly safe practice, such a ripping MP3's is; grey but just about acceptable. In some ways the companies should be thanking the makers of NoCD cracks because it's means you dont have to copy them and less copies will be floating around and getting into the hands of people who would rather not buy the game.

But surely games publishers have a right to protect their investmen too? I hear you ask.

Sure, it's a real paradox aint it. But as technology advances things will improve. More durable media (this is where BluRay may fall on it's ass BTW ) and online verification etc will help. The games companies will just have to be patient and let a certain amount of piracy slide in the meantime (unlike Sony's relentless march towards evil empire like copy protection systems). The ease of CD copying and MP3 has not destroyed the music industry afterall, niether did the ease of copying the orginal Windows floppy disks (in fact it actually helped microsoft ).......

.......ok i will stop now, i think i am going off on one again
    Last edited by autopilot; 13-11-2005 at 05:48 PM.

Thanks
    uh, i use no cd patches all the time because i dont have room in my bag for 10 DVD cases, and they will probabally get nicked, annoying that for both of the BF2s i have to get a no cd patch for a iso

as for steaming pile of ****, i hate the idea of it, especailly as you need internet access. which while on a laptop on the move is a hard. its also very "george orwell"
    Last edited by UltraMagnus; 13-11-2005 at 06:19 PM.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerous_dom
    Before we carry on, I think people should know this;

You have LEGAL RIGHT to back up any software (game) that you legally own. The law is different regarding software than it is with music CD's and movie DVD's. I'm not sure exactly why this is, I’m guessing it's partly down to the high cost of some software disks, such as Windows XP Pro etc. But you can back up your games. Check the law its there in black and white. There is a specific clause covering games and software.
    In the UK? I know that's the case in American law, but didn't think it applied in the UK.

Reading the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 (section 56) it seems like it doesn't apply in the UK - unless the copyright owner provides terms expressly allowing it. Look at the EULA for software and sometimes they grant permission to make a back up. But unless they do, we can't.

edit: oops.. no I'm wrong

The European directive allows a back-up copy to be make (as well as any copying required to make the program function). Interestingly, you're allowed to make a copy in order to evaluate the software in terms of ideas and principles Although for some reason, the UK's implementation of that directive doesn't seem to mention any such exceptions :/

edit 2: ah.. found it (was looking at the non-amended version ) section 50A. You can make a back-up copy if it's neccessary for your uses of the program.
    Last edited by kalniel; 14-11-2005 at 01:18 PM.

Thanks
    Yes, indeed many (make that most) people don't seem to release backing up an original game CD/DVD you have bought is perfectly legal and using NoCD patches is ok as you actually have to use them to make your backup work.

In fact, ironically, it's the games publishers that are more likely to be at odds with the law than the consumer who backs up their game when it comes to NoCD patches.
    Last edited by autopilot; 14-11-2005 at 11:31 PM.

UKMuFFiN
    But what about the games using starforce?

Im all for NoCDs btw, does my nut in having to swap discs over grrrrr im such a rebel

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU
    Quote Originally Posted by UKMuFFiN
    But what about the games using starforce?

Im all for NoCDs btw, does my nut in having to swap discs over grrrrr im such a rebel
    Much, much harder. Starforce is invasive and pretty nasty IMHO. Not keen on things installing as 'drivers' simply to prevent piracy as it can often affect other parts of the system unintentionally. I've nothing against them protecting their software but the traditional method of 'no online play without a valid key' works well enough IMHO.
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information