Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Web Server issue...?

  1. #1
    Senior Member joshwa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Sheffield, UK
    Posts
    4,850
    Thanks
    126
    Thanked
    67 times in 62 posts
    • joshwa's system
      • Motherboard:
      • PC Chips M577 AT/ATX
      • CPU:
      • AMD K6-2 500Mhz
      • Memory:
      • 128mb PC100 SDRAM
      • Storage:
      • 8GB Fujitsu
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3dfx Voodoo 3 3000 AGP (16mb)
      • PSU:
      • ATX 500watt
      • Case:
      • Midi Tower AT
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 98 SE
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" TFT Widescreen

    Web Server issue...?

    I'm using Windows 2000 Server and IIS5, and I can host zip files and they download fine, I used to be able to host .exe files and they used to download fine, now though I don't seem able to download the .exe files, even though I know they're there - is this likely to be a setting somewhere that I've accidentally changed when updating windows or making it more secure?

    Thanks for any help

    Josh

  2. #2
    Senior Member Shad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    In front
    Posts
    2,782
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked
    42 times in 25 posts
    What happens when you try and download an .exe?
    Simon


  3. #3
    Senior Member joshwa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Sheffield, UK
    Posts
    4,850
    Thanks
    126
    Thanked
    67 times in 62 posts
    • joshwa's system
      • Motherboard:
      • PC Chips M577 AT/ATX
      • CPU:
      • AMD K6-2 500Mhz
      • Memory:
      • 128mb PC100 SDRAM
      • Storage:
      • 8GB Fujitsu
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3dfx Voodoo 3 3000 AGP (16mb)
      • PSU:
      • ATX 500watt
      • Case:
      • Midi Tower AT
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 98 SE
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" TFT Widescreen
    I get page cannot be displayed if I click it, or if I right click save as... I get 'internet explorer was not able to open this site'

  4. #4
    bored out of my tiny mind malfunction's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Lurking
    Posts
    3,923
    Thanks
    191
    Thanked
    187 times in 163 posts
    • malfunction's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte G1.Sniper (with daft heatsinks and annoying Killer NIC)
      • CPU:
      • Xeon X5670 (6 core LGA 1366) @ 4.4GHz
      • Memory:
      • 48GB DDR3 1600 (6 * 8GB)
      • Storage:
      • 1TB 840 Evo + 1TB 850 Evo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 290X
      • PSU:
      • Antec True Power New 750W
      • Case:
      • Cooltek W2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2715H
    Have you used the IIS lockdown tool?

    By default that will stop .exe files from being downloaded

  5. #5
    Senior Member joshwa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Sheffield, UK
    Posts
    4,850
    Thanks
    126
    Thanked
    67 times in 62 posts
    • joshwa's system
      • Motherboard:
      • PC Chips M577 AT/ATX
      • CPU:
      • AMD K6-2 500Mhz
      • Memory:
      • 128mb PC100 SDRAM
      • Storage:
      • 8GB Fujitsu
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3dfx Voodoo 3 3000 AGP (16mb)
      • PSU:
      • ATX 500watt
      • Case:
      • Midi Tower AT
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 98 SE
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" TFT Widescreen
    Originally posted by malfunction
    Have you used the IIS lockdown tool?

    By default that will stop .exe files from being downloaded
    yeah i think i have - how do i undo this setting?

  6. #6
    bored out of my tiny mind malfunction's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Lurking
    Posts
    3,923
    Thanks
    191
    Thanked
    187 times in 163 posts
    • malfunction's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte G1.Sniper (with daft heatsinks and annoying Killer NIC)
      • CPU:
      • Xeon X5670 (6 core LGA 1366) @ 4.4GHz
      • Memory:
      • 48GB DDR3 1600 (6 * 8GB)
      • Storage:
      • 1TB 840 Evo + 1TB 850 Evo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 290X
      • PSU:
      • Antec True Power New 750W
      • Case:
      • Cooltek W2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2715H
    You can either re-run the IIS lockdown tool (and disable it) or edit this file:

    C:\WINNT\system32\inetsrv\urlscan\urlscan.ini

    In the "[DenyExtensions]" section you'll need to remove ".exe"

    This is assuming you've left it at default - i.e. in the [options] section you've got "UseAllowExtenstions=0" if you've got "UseAllowExtensions=1" then you'll need to add ".exe" to teh "[AllowExtenstions]" section.

    Anyway - you ought to be able to figure it out. IIRC you'll need to at least restart the IIS service (net stop W3SVC, net start W3SVC or use the services or IIS admin MSC) to incorporate the changes.

  7. #7
    Goat Boy
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Alexandra Park, London
    Posts
    2,428
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Alternatively you can solve the problem by installing a proper web server like Apache
    "All our beliefs are being challenged now, and rightfully so, they're stupid." - Bill Hicks

  8. #8
    F.A.S.T. Butuz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    4,708
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked
    72 times in 59 posts
    • Butuz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z77 MPOWER
      • CPU:
      • I7 3770K @ 4.6
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair XMS 1866
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3xR9 290
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10
      • Case:
      • Inwin H Frame
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
    Originally posted by DaBeeeenster
    Alternatively you can solve the problem by installing a proper web server like Apache
    *yawn* theres always one

    Solve the worlds problems!!!! Install linux!!!!! Reduce your companies productivity to 0% and increase your reliance on technical support by 100%. Just think! All that cash you saved in windows licences your now spending twice as much on geeks in atari tshirts to keep it all running!!! (rofle, sorry had to throw in the wild genralisation)

    Woot

    Butuz

  9. #9
    Registered+ Zathras's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Canary Wharf/Richmond
    Posts
    1,454
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked
    7 times in 4 posts
    Yeah, because Apache is so reliant on technical support being such a far out and "community-only" server... whatever. You can rabbit on about Linux vs Microsoft all day and not get to a conclusion but Apache is a much much better webserver and has much higher market penetration - hardly the 'linux' in a Windows vs Linux battle.

  10. #10
    Administrator Moby-Dick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    There's no place like ::1 (IPv6 version)
    Posts
    10,665
    Thanks
    53
    Thanked
    384 times in 313 posts
    Apache for windows is just as useable - then again when you have both well configured they should be just as good.

    Besides isn't over secure better than under secure ?
    my Virtualisation Blog http://jfvi.co.uk Virtualisation Podcast http://vsoup.net

  11. #11
    Goat Boy
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Alexandra Park, London
    Posts
    2,428
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Originally posted by Butuz
    *yawn* theres always one

    Solve the worlds problems!!!! Install linux!!!!! Reduce your companies productivity to 0% and increase your reliance on technical support by 100%. Just think! All that cash you saved in windows licences your now spending twice as much on geeks in atari tshirts to keep it all running!!! (rofle, sorry had to throw in the wild genralisation)

    Woot

    Butuz
    Apache runs on Windows and, IMHO, is easier to configure than IIS. You ever tried working with the metabase? Nasty...
    "All our beliefs are being challenged now, and rightfully so, they're stupid." - Bill Hicks

  12. #12
    Senior Member Shad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    In front
    Posts
    2,782
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked
    42 times in 25 posts
    Originally posted by DaBeeeenster
    Apache runs on Windows and, IMHO, is easier to configure than IIS. You ever tried working with the metabase? Nasty...
    Yeh, it's fully XML based in IIS6...

    Apache doesn't run key Windows-based languages, such as ASP or to my knowledge .NET languages.
    Simon


  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    64
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

  14. #14
    Senior Member joshwa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Sheffield, UK
    Posts
    4,850
    Thanks
    126
    Thanked
    67 times in 62 posts
    • joshwa's system
      • Motherboard:
      • PC Chips M577 AT/ATX
      • CPU:
      • AMD K6-2 500Mhz
      • Memory:
      • 128mb PC100 SDRAM
      • Storage:
      • 8GB Fujitsu
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3dfx Voodoo 3 3000 AGP (16mb)
      • PSU:
      • ATX 500watt
      • Case:
      • Midi Tower AT
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 98 SE
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" TFT Widescreen
    Originally posted by malfunction
    You can either re-run the IIS lockdown tool (and disable it) or edit this file:

    C:\WINNT\system32\inetsrv\urlscan\urlscan.ini

    In the "[DenyExtensions]" section you'll need to remove ".exe"

    This is assuming you've left it at default - i.e. in the [options] section you've got "UseAllowExtenstions=0" if you've got "UseAllowExtensions=1" then you'll need to add ".exe" to teh "[AllowExtenstions]" section.

    Anyway - you ought to be able to figure it out. IIRC you'll need to at least restart the IIS service (net stop W3SVC, net start W3SVC or use the services or IIS admin MSC) to incorporate the changes.
    thanks that's fixed it - finally got round to changing it

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •