Thread: Firewall for win2k3 server?

Thanks

Firewall for win2k3 server?

I've been using Tiny Personal Firewall since I installed win2k3 and its been fine, but recently the software has developed a major problem. Whenever a new application is added and it tries to access the internet the firewall software tries to add the application to the allowed apps list and then the machine promptly blue screens. It does this every time any application is added.

I've tried removing the firewall completely and re-installing but it still does the same thing. I dont really want to re-install windows to get a fresh start, to resolve the problem, so I'm after a new firewall.

So can anyone recommend me a firewall that is compatible with win2k3? The PC in question is directly connected to my cable modem and it acts as a gateway for other machines on the network. I'm using routing in Windows to route traffic from specific ports to different pc's on my network, just in case that makes any difference to your recommendation.

Thanks

Thanks
    In an ideal world, you coudl get hold of a copy of Microsoft ISA server , which is their full proxying/firewall software , but its not cheap.

Have a play with Agnitum's Excellent Outpost (Pro) and see how stable that is.
    my Virtualisation Blog http://jfvi.co.uk Virtualisation Podcast http://vsoup.net

wol
    Thanks
    Cant recomment Kerio Personal Firewall enough.

Wol

bored out of my tiny mind malfunction's Avatar
    Thanks
    • malfunction's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte G1.Sniper (with daft heatsinks and annoying Killer NIC)
      • CPU:
      • Xeon X5670 (6 core LGA 1366) @ 4.4GHz
      • Memory:
      • 48GB DDR3 1600 (6 * 8GB)
      • Storage:
      • 1TB 840 Evo + 1TB 850 Evo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 290X
      • PSU:
      • Antec True Power New 750W
      • Case:
      • Cooltek W2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2715H

Re: Firewall for win2k3 server?

Originally posted by leon
    I'm using routing in Windows to route traffic from specific ports to different pc's on my network, just in case that makes any difference to your recommendation.

Thanks
    You can use routing and remote access to form a basic firewall too. It won't work like a personal firewall (i.e. approve access by program) but it can obviously do NAT, port mapping and packet filtering. I haven't got time to dig out the info tonight but if you're interested I can give you a few pointers and links to look at (I'm using W2K server and remote routing as my firewall / gateway)

Thread Information