• Silverstone TJ05
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • 20" Dell(rebadged sony) trinitron CRT
      • Internet:
      • 20mb cable internet connection

Thinking of taking up running - advice needed

I'm thinking about taking up running. I already cycle to work everyday, but want to start running as well (mostly evenings or weekends). I have a pair of nike running shoes,which I bought a while ago and never used, so should be ok there. It's more about technique and how to run that I need help with.

Advice I need is about how to start running and avoid injury. As I haven't run regularly for years, I know I need to start slow(ish). Most of the running will be on tarmac, and once I get more used to it, I can run up a hill near me and start running on grass.

I've heard of a lot of injuries you can pick up, like shin splints etc. What are the most common injuries you can get and what is the best way to avoid them?

Also, how do I track how far I've run? I don't know if I can trust those pedometer things as I've seen cases where you can shake one up and down and it counts up, so don't know how reliable they are. I have a HTC HD2 on which I have both windows mobile and android, so I don't know if there are any decent applications for them.
    I do know everything, just not all at once. It's a virtual memory problem.

unapologetic apologist
    Thanks

Re: Thinking of taking up running - advice needed

shin splints = usually due to insufficient ankle articulation, or excessive impact, but if you take it easy, shouldn't be a problem

aim more for a mid-foot impact rather than heavy on the heel - put your weight slightly forward, and take SHORT steps, rather than long strides. the latter leads to excessive heel strike, which is a big cause of joint injuries.

warm up before running / afterwards, or start with slow jog

tracking: I use Endomondo on Nokia (but is available on other platforms); friends use Sportstracker. All good, all do the job etc, if your phone has GPS capability. As you say, pedometer not very reliable for running.
    One can never stop saying Thank You

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

There are good running apps for both WM and Android in my experience, although I couldn't name one offhand. That would be the best approach, I reckon.

I suffer a lot from shin splints and knee problems, but they tend to dry up after 3-4 weeks of exercise. Just make sure you give yourself time to recover after each time, and eventually it should stop re-occurring, or at least that's my experience of it. If you're still struggling, it's probably time to hit the running shops and get a gait analysis done. You'll probably have to fork out £70+ for some running shoes, but if it keeps your legs intact it's worth the expense imo.

Thanks
    • walibe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8P67B Pro
      • CPU:
      • iMac 2017
      • Memory:
      • 16 Gig Corsair Vegence
      • Storage:
      • 10 T.B Total
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvida GTX 755M
      • Operating System:
      • Mavericks / Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27"
      • Internet:
      • BT Fibre

You need to do alot of leg strengthing exercises. A good program to follow for non runners and those recovering from injury is the run walk program. It seems popular with our PTIs. It best used with a treadmill but its basic principle could be applied to out doors running.

Also alot of people confuse shin splints with general cramp. As above I suffer from Knee and calf issues mainly but these are linked into issues with my core muscles which lead my legs to take far more strain than they should. Its a really common but undiagnosed or miss diagnosed issue.

Once your done with that try and find a running partner. You'll go further and faster for longer.

Finally. Your first port of call is as above - check whats on your feet. The wrong trainer will cause injury. Take time out to find out what sort of runner you are and find the weaknesses in your stride. Many larger gyms can offer these services at a cost but they are worth it.

Lastly £100 doesn't make a good running shoe, do your research. Asics and New Ballance seem to be the most highly trainers although the latest models from Asics started off giving me blisters on the arch of my foot which I had never experienced before.

I'm no expert - I doubt any of us here are so go find one.
    Laptop - Macbook Pro Retina 13" (Early 2015) i5/8GB/256GB
    Desktop 1 - iMac 27" (late 2012) i7/32GB/1TB Fusion Drive
    Desktop 2 - i7 2600K/32GB/1TB/GTX 760
    Server - HP DL160 G6 2 x Hex Core Xenon x5650/64GB/8TB
    NAS - ASUSTOR 604T ATOM Dual Core/3GB/16TB

Synergy leverager
    Thanks
    • Mutley's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP-35 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel QX9650 (OC'd to 3.8Ghz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB (4x2GB) G.Skill DDR2-1066 8500CL5D
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840EVO 250GB SSD & Samsung HD501LJ 500GB SATA
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX 660
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Infiniti 650W
      • Case:
      • Antec P-182
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • NEC 20WGX2
      • Internet:
      • 60MB Cable (Virgin)

Quote Originally Posted by starbuck View Post
    I'm thinking about taking up running.
    Good for you! I took up running a few years ago to get fit, manage weight, and reduce stress. Never looked back (cos if you do, you'll fall over lol).

With regards to your shoes - did you get you feet checked before you bought them? I say this because, when I first started running, it was on a pair of Nike shoes I used in the gym. Caused me big knee problems in the end that I had to see a physio for. I got my feet checked - foot-fall/gait - and found I needed trainers that supported moderate over-pronation. That fixed the problems for me. Then you have to make sure you replace them regularly, typically 400/500 mile mark (lots of other factors could make this number higher or lower of course).

To start with, take it slowly. The biggest cause of people either quitting, or having injuries early on is that they (especially men) push themselves too hard too early. Listen to your body - if it hurts, it isn't telling you to 'push through it' (as a cyclist you probably know all this).

Start with walking a couple of miles. If that is too easy, make it a brisk walk and run, then walk. Do that for a couple of weeks, building up to all running, no walking. By the way, there is nothing wrong with walking. Walking is considered a useful part of marathon training.

Another reason why people get injured (similar to what I said above) is that people push either pace or distance too early. You must be patient, and build up distance.

Lastly, as has been mentioned, stretching is REALLY important, AFTER you have run. Don't do lots of stretches before you run, you are more likely to injure yourself, or cause the running to injure you. A decent round of stretches after a run will be extremely beneficial in injury prevention.

As for measuring distance, I'm a little OCD about this. Pedometers are a waste of time if an accurate measure of distance matters to you. I would either plan out a route on a web site such as Walk-Jog-Run, or Gmaps Pedomater, or get yourself a GPS-based tracker. Personally, I use a Garmin Forerunner 305, which frankly looks like a prop-reject from the original StarTrek series, but is, imo, very good. Its size means you have a very good read-out. And if you are a data obsessive like me, you can collect lots and lots of it!

I also recommend (if you are running Windows), that you download and install Sport Tracks, which has support for downloading GPS data from the Garmin (and many other devices).

Edit : I forgot to add, this book is one I highly recommend. Very down-to-earth and pragmatic. Lots of good advice.

Hope that helps!

Muts.
    Last edited by Mutley; 11-10-2010 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Added a book..

Thanks

I agree, I think the best to start with is a treadmill, even though you may hate it or think its boring, if you're getting back into running or haven't run for years... it's a good way to jump start things. This way you can learn how to pace yourself. The biggest concern for most individuals that jump back into jogging/running after years of doing so is being able to pace themselves... without a proper pace you throw yourself off and have the tendency to lose your breath and find your self having to stop completely at times...
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz, 2 GB DDR2, 500GB SATA-II 7200RPM, nVidia GeForce 9800GT 512mb, BenQ E2200 HD, BenQ G2412HD, Logitech S510 Wireless set, Creative GigaWorks T3 Speakers.

Thanks
    • Nerval's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • Intel core i5 760
      • Memory:
      • Corsair XMS3 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Spinpoint F3 1GB x 2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Radeon 5570 Silent
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic SS 560KM Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design P3 Silver Arrow
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq BL2400PT VA Panel
      • Internet:
      • O2 LLU - 5 meg download

The main thing is to get out and do some running.

Most people think about doing something - running, losing weight, giving up x,y or z, research it for ages, and that's as far as it gets.

Don't bother about techniques, problems etc - just get your shoes on and get out there.

You won't be able to do too much anyway to start with - at first, you need to run so that it feels far too slow, and after a mile or so you'll realise it's not too slow at all.

When you're doing 3 or 4 runs a week of three or four miles, and enjoying it, then you can start worrying about the detail.
    Till then, just run
    Can you just............................?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nerval View Post

Most people think about doing something - running, losing weight, giving up x,y or z, research it for ages, and that's as far as it gets.

Don't bother about techniques, problems etc - just get your shoes on and get out there.

You won't be able to do too much anyway to start with - at first, you need to run so that it feels far too slow, and after a mile or so you'll realise it's not too slow at all.

When you're doing 3 or 4 runs a week of three or four miles, and enjoying it, then you can start worrying about the detail.
    Till then, just run
    Well said lol
    I should have come up with that!
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz, 2 GB DDR2, 500GB SATA-II 7200RPM, nVidia GeForce 9800GT 512mb, BenQ E2200 HD, BenQ G2412HD, Logitech S510 Wireless set, Creative GigaWorks T3 Speakers.

Synergy leverager
    Thanks
    • Mutley's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP-35 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel QX9650 (OC'd to 3.8Ghz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB (4x2GB) G.Skill DDR2-1066 8500CL5D
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840EVO 250GB SSD & Samsung HD501LJ 500GB SATA
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX 660
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Infiniti 650W
      • Case:
      • Antec P-182
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • NEC 20WGX2
      • Internet:
      • 60MB Cable (Virgin)

Till then, just run
    I appreciate the motivation behind this, but I can't agree with the approach. If you have got to 3/4 times a week running 4 miles ago, and you haven't considered your shoes at least...well, you are very lucky that you haven't had an injury. It takes a little effort to go to a running shop, have your gait and fall checked, and buy the right shoe, and you don't need to spend tonnes.

Once you have the right shoe, technique is basically just how you run, and I'd agree you can fine tune that later if you are really interested. But seriously, get the right shoes first.

Thanks
    • Nerval's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • Intel core i5 760
      • Memory:
      • Corsair XMS3 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Spinpoint F3 1GB x 2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Radeon 5570 Silent
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic SS 560KM Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design P3 Silver Arrow
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq BL2400PT VA Panel
      • Internet:
      • O2 LLU - 5 meg download

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    I appreciate the motivation behind this, but I can't agree with the approach. If you have got to 3/4 times a week running 4 miles ago, and you haven't considered your shoes at least...well, you are very lucky that you haven't had an injury. It takes a little effort to go to a running shop, have your gait and fall checked, and buy the right shoe, and you don't need to spend tonnes.

Once you have the right shoe, technique is basically just how you run, and I'd agree you can fine tune that later if you are really interested. But seriously, get the right shoes first.
    I exaggerate for effect, but not a lot.

If you wait to go out till you've got the right shoes, most people will never get out. And a beginner couldn't get very far anyway for the first few weeks.
    But once you're out there in whatever trainers you've got - and most people have trainers I guess - and begin to think " this would be better if I had some better shoes", then by all means go shopping for top of the range last-season shoes. They should give great cushioning at a sensible price.

If you're young and otherwise healthy, a few miles a week in cheap trainers won't do you any harm and at least you'll get into the running habit.

My motto in all things over the years has become "Stop talking and just get on with it".
    Can you just............................?

Banned
    Thanks

Simple!

1) buy correct shoes by going to a real running shop
    2) book a 5k in 3-4 months time
    3) obtain training guide from net
    4) warm up and cool down religiously
    5) enjoy 5k
    6) decide if you want to continue.

Thanks
    • Ciber's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Prime X470 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Team Group
      • Storage:
      • ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB + 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX960 Strix
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Prime Ultra Snow Silent 650W
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Pro
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG329Q
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone Fibre

Good advice.

On the subject of injuries I would say the best way to avoid them is not to exercise too often. I don't run more than every other day. This gives your body a little time to repair and prepare for the next run. The other thing I have found it best to avoid is running in the morning. Later in the day your muscles etc will be warmer and more flexible and your joints better lubricated.
    My blog

I used to play BF3, Battlefield BC2, BF4 and TF2

Do something amazing.... Give blood

Thanks

I'd never really run in my life, so I found this useful to get me started:

http://www.bupa.co.uk/running/traini.../beginner-5km/

Thread Information