Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fitness 101 - Must read! (HIT)

Thanks

Fitness 101 - Must read! (HIT)

"Doing more exercise with less intensity, has all but destroyed the actual great value of weight training. Something must be done . . . and quickly." - Arthur Jones

The greatest fitness secrets are the simplest... A man named Arthur Jones understood this long before the leading doctors ever did, and today his work is finally being accepted by health clubs and physicians around the globe.

You can both under-work and over-work your muscles, for maximum performance you need to work them to failure and then rest for 1 week. Any more than this and you're wasting your time and energy. This is HIT.

If you want to see muscle-gain, it first relies on your genetics, not everyone can be big, but if you follow a HIT routine then you will reach your genetic potential in 18-24 months, after that, you cannot possibly get any larger than that without the aid of steroids (which are not only illegal but also VERY VERY bad for you, DO NOT EVER even think of trying them EVEN ONCE!!!!! They WILL KILL YOU sooner or later, they will RUIN YOUR LIFE.)

If you want to lose weight, then there's no better way than to exercise and eat properly. It takes an iron will to achieve results.

You don't have to go to the gym every day, you can go to the gym just one day a week, work out for 20 minutes or less, no more than 10 exercises, each exercise focusing on a different muscle, and eat targeting a specific muscle (isolated training). You train these muscles until failure, that means you will complete between 6-9 repetitions, using the *4-2-4 second rule

1) Contract your muscle for 4 seconds (raising the weight)
    2) Hold the fully contracted position for 2 seconds
    3) Extend your muscle for 4 seconds (lowering the weight)

*note: you don't need to stare at a clock, and you certainly don't need a stop-watch, just count in your head slowly as you're working out, and glance at the clock to see if you've been doing this exercise for over a minute. Your goal is to find a weight that causes your muscles to reach failure in 6-8 repetitions, meaning between 60-90 seconds in a single work-out (ie, chin-ups)

- If after one minute of exercise you are not sweating and tired, and your don't feel your muscle failing (unable to do any more repetitions) then you should increase the weight by 5-10% next time you work out (next week).
    - You'll know that you've performed an exercise properly if afterwards you cannot repeat it, because your muscle should have reached failure and now it is useless.

One complete repetition should take 10 seconds. You can do the exercise more slowly, but not more quickly! Remember: SLOW AND STEADY! If you work out this way, this is HIT. And if you use HIT then you WILL improve your strength in the fastest and most efficient way!

Start out by exercising: gluteals (gluts), upper leg, abdominal, and lower back muscles.
    Then: the upper back, pectoral and shoulders muscles, muscles of the upper arm, neck, lower leg and lower arm.
    In terms of joints, this means: hips, knees, lumbar spine, shoulder joint, cervical spine, elbow joint, ankle, wrist.

- Whether you're male or female, proper exercise and diet are the keys to your physical success! You don't have to get big and bulky! You can work out, increasing the weight that you use until you are satisfied with how your body looks, and then stay at that weight, not ever increasing it, and you won't gain any more mass!
    - Whether you're 25 years or 65 years of age, proper exercise and diet are the keys to your physical success. It has been proven in blind studies that exercise for elderly people has improved their walking speed, their memory, and their awareness, but more importantly it has alleviated much of their back-pains and muscular-skeletal problems that people associate with age.
    - Find a gym that has GOOD expensive training MACHINES, they're much safer and more effective than free weights! Don't just join a gym, make sure it's convenient for you, and offers the highest quality service. Search Google about that gym and read what critics have had to say! Ask around, don't settle!

And remember the following: It isn't during working out that you get stronger, actually it's the opposite! When working out, your muscles become increasingly weaker (which is why each time you do a repetition, the next one becomes harder!). It is during proper rest (8 hours sleep at least per night) and with a proper diet (45g of protein minimum per day, proper vitamins and minerals, look for a complete supplement to take in the morning to help with V&M, perhaps a protein shake 1-2 hours before working out if you want to maximize muscle gain)... Once you work out a muscle, do not work it out again for 1 whole week of rest.

- If you work out every Monday or Tuesday for a month, then make sure you switch it up, and change the day to Thursday or Friday, and then change it back to Monday or Tuesday. (This is so that your muscles don't "get used" to your training regime, it will maximize performance).

Also see:

http://www.drdarden.com/readTopic.do?id=382933

http://www.ironage.us/guest_edit/arthurjones.html

http://arthurjonesexercise.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_intensity_training

The New High Intensity Training - a glimpse at the book that every one serious about fitness should read [Presents the high intensity training philosophy with key training points, a specialized two-week course for developing certain areas of the body, a nutrition plan for boosting body mass, and stories of well-known HIT (High Intensity Training) users.]

When Arnold Schwarzenegger tried working out with Arthur Jones' method, he vomited and quit the first day, because it was "too hard" for him. Arnold had been used to working out for hours every day, several times per week... Arthur's HIT methods required Arnold to spend 20 solid minutes working out in a way which requires will power.

Sure, you can work out hours and hours, but you won't reach your genetic potential as quickly as you will using HIT--and you'll be wasting your time obviously--because you're over-training your muscles.

There's a lot of criticism against Arthur Jones from body builders, the guys who take steroids and spend their every waking hour in the gym, this is because if Arthur Jones' methods are right, then all of their work has been in vain, imagine how angry you would feel if you find out you've wasted years of your life doing something painful when you could've spent so much less time and achieved better results? Their criticism is uneducated at best, and at worse it is derived from unadulterated anger and spite.

I hope you find this helpful. Don't take my word for it though, try this method for a few weeks, most people who do, stick with it!

Thanks

Re: Fitness 101 - Must read! (HIT)

I wish exercise was fun....
    I don't understand the enjoyment people get out of it, however I have begged a friend to be my personal trainer he is gonna drag my a*** out to the gym 3 times a week to shake some jelly off.

Fingers crossed!!

Welcome to stampytown! Salazaar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Salazaar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450m Steel Legend
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 5700 XT

It can be fun, just don't take it too seriously. I'm overweight but I cycle 5 miles to work and back each day and it keeps me fit enough. Beyond that, why worry?
    ____
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks

I suppose it maybe fun doing it with somebody else.

I'm definitely gonna give it a go.... well done for doing all that cycling!

Thanks

Fitness isn't meant to be fun.

It's work, but it's vital to your health.

All it requires is ONE day per week... for 20 MINUTES maximum...

20 minutes a week of High Intensity Training and you will reach your genetic potential in (edit) 18-24 months.

Women can reach whatever physique they want and then stop increasing the weight and they will remain looking that way without having any added muscle that would make them look masculine.

It's scientifically proven that people who exercise regularly have a much healthier lifestyle even into their old age. There are 70 year old people who work out regularly and are very healthy and fit. They don't have back pains, or hip problems, or joint problems, unlike so many other elderly...

The problem with Elderly is that they stop working and just become lazy, so their bodies cripple... You can't do that! You have to be in shape.

So, yeah it sucks and it's going to be a drag, and you won't have much fun, but if you dedicate just 20 minutes a week, then you will feel much better physically and mentally.

Bottom line.
    Last edited by Robscure; 11-12-2008 at 09:36 AM. Reason: I made a mistake when I typed this, sorry

Thanks
    • strike-down's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VII Formula
      • CPU:
      • i7-4770k/H100i
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair Dominator Plat 1800mhz
      • Storage:
      • 2x Samsung 850 pro RAID1, 2x HGST 4TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX980 STRIX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • CM Storm Trooper
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer XB270H
      • Internet:
      • EE Fibre

Simple answer, get a powerkite (not a depowerable, as that would be cheating need one with quad handles.) It works pretty much every muscle in your body (depending on how you use it) and another bonus . . ITS FUN!! keeps me fit enough

Thanks
    • BigGlenn's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K
      • CPU:
      • E8400
      • Memory:
      • 4GB PC6400
      • Storage:
      • 250GB Western Digital, 400GB + 500GB Samsung Spinpoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX560ti 2GB Twin Frozr II
      • PSU:
      • 500W Antec
      • Case:
      • Antec Sonata III
      • Operating System:
      • XP
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG W2261V 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • Zen

C'mon Rob,

Make your mind up with your facts.....

In your first post you state that it will take 18-24 months to reach your genetic potential

if you follow a HIT routine then you will reach your genetic potential in 18-24 months
    But in your latest post, that has now dropped to 12-18 months

20 minutes a week of High Intensity Training and you will reach your genetic potential in 12-18 months
    So which is it...?????

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Robscure View Post
    The problem with Elderly is that they stop working and just become lazy, so their bodies cripple... You can't do that!
    Ah that made me lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BigGlenn View Post
    C'mon Rob,

Make your mind up with your facts.....

In your first post you state that it will take 18-24 months to reach your genetic potential

But in your latest post, that has now dropped to 12-18 months

So which is it...?????
    No reason to call me out in such a manner as that.

However, you are correct, my facts were not equal.

This was because when I typed this response I had a headache and I didn't think clearly. I was just remembering off of the top of my head.

I apologize.

Although I'm not trying to "scam" anyone with this information (as it seems you are implying by your observable "tone"), this is all scientific information you can research yourself.

It takes 18-24 months to reach GENETIC POTENTIAL.

This means: if you don't have the genetics to body-build, then you will NEVER look like "Arnold" or any macho body-builder you may have seen, unless you take very harmful, illegal steroids which will kill you, and even then, body-building relies on genetics.

However, in 12-18 months you could very well reach a satisfying physique, perhaps even your genetic potential, due to the differences in human DNA. Everyone is unique, some people may progress much quicker than others. However, increasing the amount you work-out will not help you reach your potential any faster. The HIT method is proven to be the fastest and most efficient way of maximizing your strength, and the inevitable observable results.

In just 1 month you will see change, so in 12 you will look completely different than you do now. So my "facts" were not entirely innacurate, you will indeed see a major difference 12-18 months from now, but the ABSOLUTE maximum (your genetic POTENTIAL) will be reached within 18-24 months, after which you will not progress any further, and you will only be working out in order to maintain that physique.

Thank you.

Welcome to stampytown! Salazaar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Salazaar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450m Steel Legend
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 5700 XT

Fitness isn't meant to be fun.

It's work, but it's vital to your health.
    Lighten up, man! There's no reason keeping fit shouldn't be fun.
    ____
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Salazaar View Post
    Lighten up, man! There's no reason keeping fit shouldn't be fun.
    lol, who said I'm not light, man!?

It can be fun, but it's purpose is not "fun", such as "video games" are meant to be fun... working out is meant to get you into shape... it can be fun, just like how video games can "be" boring, sometimes...

Usually those work-outs that are advertised as "fun" are overly-exhaustive (for very little relative efficiency) and annoying (ie Richard Simmons)

Thanks
    • format's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6750 @ 3.2ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB GSkill PC8000
      • Storage:
      • WD500GB+750GB F1 + 250GB external drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce GTX260
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520w
      • Case:
      • Antec P182 + 3 x Nexus fans
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" DGM
      • Internet:
      • BeThere* Pro

I have fun playing football once a week, that's all the exercise I get.
    My BMI is 24.5, that's alright isn't it?
    6ft 4 and around 14.5 stone.
    Might try this HIT thing for laugh, bit of definition wouldn't go amiss
    ~'Armaments, universal debt, and planned obsolescence--those are the three pillars of Western prosperity'~ Aldous Huxley

Thanks

GENETICALLY DIFFERENT

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by format View Post
    I have fun playing football once a week, that's all the exercise I get.
    My BMI is 24.5, that's alright isn't it?
    6ft 4 and around 14.5 stone.
    Might try this HIT thing for laugh, bit of definition wouldn't go amiss
    If you want to gain strength and increase your muscle mass, then definitely do HIT.

If you just want to stay fit playing football, that's fine...

But I guarantee if you do HIT for just one month, AND DO IT PROPERLY, then you will notice results and you will be impressed.

By proper, I mean, make sure you eat properly (at least 50g of protein a day, which is very easy to do), get your normal 8 hours of rest, because you don't gain strength in the gym, you gain strength by resting... an example is how male lions are so powerful, yet all they do is sit around, eat and sleep, the females do the hunting, males have explosive power, however. Same concept, you need to get proper rest, and only work out ONCE a week and only for 20 minutes maximum...

You should work out each muscle individually, start with leg workouts, and then do upper body... You should work out for 60 seconds on each exercise, and only do one set... not two+!

This is very simple, yet people will try to over-complicate it, that's why I'm stressing it all to you and reiterating what has already been said.

If you do 10 exercises at 60 seconds each, using a weight that will allow you to do each repetition for 10 seconds (4-2-4), then you should be doing between 6-10 repetitions, and reaching muscle failure... If you've done it properly, then you won't be able to continue that exercise. If you've done it improperly, it may be due to speed (too fast, too slow) or due to using not enough weight, or too much weight... Figure out why, and adjust accordingly. Make sure you're always using a weight that allows you to exercise for 60 seconds, and to reach muscle failure at 60 seconds... If you can go longer, then you should try increasing the weight by 10-15% next time.

Remember that heat restricts your muscle efficiency... stay cool during workout... you will sweat, and be hot, of course, but minimize it as much as possible by wearing loose clothing and drinking plenty of cold water. (ie, don't do "warm-ups", they inhibit you for strength training, and stretching also won't make a difference for strength training)

Also, use MACHINES... not free weights... machines are proven to be better, if you don't believe me I can give you a list of reasons why.

Good luck, hope to hear from you in regards to your progress, if you decide to try HIT

Thanks
    • Blackmage's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI P67-GD65
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core I7 2600k
      • Memory:
      • 8 Gb Hynix DDR3 1333
      • Storage:
      • Crucial m4 120Gb, 2TB Samsung F4
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI HD5830
      • PSU:
      • 700w Coolermaster Gold Plus
      • Case:
      • Xclio/Aplus Windtunnel
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic VX2239WM 22" LCD Monitor
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Broadband 10mbit

Also, use MACHINES... not free weights... machines are proven to be better, if you don't believe me I can give you a list of reasons why.
    Why is this? I do weight training and believe in free-weights, yes machines are easier to use. They also assist your body a lot more. Free allow more muscles to be used at one time also improves your balance and control.

unapologetic apologist
    Thanks

find some exercise you like doing, and you'll never have to work at it again

for me: surfing, rock climbing, hiking, and used to be bmx when I was a kid.
    One can never stop saying Thank You

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information