Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back pain

OilSheikh

Cool Back pain

G'day

Anyone have experience in successfully treating back pain ?
    Last winter, I somehow got frozen shoulder. Upon further self-investigation by poking myself, I have found that the affected area is actually both sides of my upper spinal cord.

Regular hot water bag applications and usage of every Deep heat cream in the market hasn't helped.

I went to my GP twice so far and they just hand me a sheet with exercises to do every time! ( Bloody useless ! )

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Re: Back pain

See a physiotherapist. GP will refer you after you've tried their exercises.

3. Received thanks from:

OilSheikh

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    See a physiotherapist. GP will refer you after you've tried their exercises.
    Off to GP again to force them to send me to a Physio!

Treasure Hunter extraordinaire herulach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue + 250GB 840 EVo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2* Palit GTX 970 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • CM HAF Stacker 935, 2*360 Rad WC Loop w/EK blocks.
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Crossover 290HD & LG L1980Q
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media

Have you actually done the exercises? a lot sound like guff but do work. However, if you have been then physio is the way forward, although don't expect miracles - i had a pulled hip flexor that took 7 or 8 weeks of weekly visits to get anywhere close to sorted.

6. Received thanks from:

Thanks

Hi Oil Sheikh,

I studied sports therapy at university and have worked pitch side as a physio as well as in a hospital doing post-operative physical rehabilitation.

You would be surprised how common this issue is, especially with men between the ages of 25 - 55. Muscles do tend to seize up a bit in the cold winter months. And, yes, heat therapy can help them relax them, non-steroidal anti - inflammatory pills can also alleviate symptoms.

You say that the symptoms started last winter. Quite often you will find that the issue stems from a change in posture. This could mean anything from a pair of new shoes (yes, foot posture can create upper back issues) to a change in table height or chair at work. Try and identify what changed during this time. I've seen office workers suffer from left shoulder pain because the left arm does the most resting on the table. So a poor seat/table height will create an uneven upper back posture.

The best preventative measure, unfortunately, is exercise. A lot of people over work the front muscles of the body causing strain on muscles on the other side. Try to focus on exercises that strengthen the erector spinae, latissimus dorsi and the the muscles that make up the rotator cuff. i.e, back raises, upright row and lateral raises. And lastly, make sure you are putting in a good stretching regime.

I know, dedicating time to exercise is difficult. But, a strong and correct posture is one of the best investment you could make.

8. Received thanks from:

OilSheikh

Thanks Gerry.
    I maintain a good posture and nothing has changed since last year. I don't think my back pain is from my posture but it's rather a symptom similar to frozen shoulders.
    Excercises have not helped. I do the cobra stretch yoga quite regularly.

I have used hot water bags directly on my back ( Heaven knows if I have a burnt back now ! ) but it hasn't had any effect. Will alternating Heat and Cold sprays be of any use ?

Thanks

Hi OilSheikh,

Sorry for the late reply, I try to stay away from technology through the holidays. If it is genuinely frozen shoulder and you have eliminated indirect factors, then it's a really difficult one to deal with.

Here's a link for some useful exercises to increase range of motion at the shoulder joint:

http://www.orthop.washington.edu/?q=...-shoulder.html

The causes of Frozen shoulder vary but are mostly as a result of injury or disease. If these exercises don't help then I would persist with your GP, an MRI scan could help identify whether there is actual scar tissue build up or joint abnormalities.

I hope things are getting better and keep us all updated with how you are progressing.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Speak to your physio and find a sports masseuse/masseur. These will do far more for you than a GP.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • BradIey's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A97 R2.0 AMD 970 AM3+
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II x6
      • Memory:
      • 12GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 3.6TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD7850
      • PSU:
      • 720W
      • Operating System:
      • WIN 8.1 + WIN 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" 22" 19" 14"
      • Internet:
      • Tiscali/Talk Talk

When I had some back pain for the first time in my life last year I found that changing my sleeping position made it go away completely downside is I got the habit of sleeping on my arm somewhere along the way but that is the far lesser of two evils.

Thanks

Just like you, Have had a bad case of back pain, the one that it is being felt in my lumbar areas and is "radiating" down to my left leg. Have tried all sorts of treatment and exercises, drank pain medication but to no avail. I went to a Orthopedic doctor and he gave me oral and tropical medication and all sorts. I grew tired because nothing seems to alleviate the pain. Then someone recommended me to see a chiropractor. I was hesitant at first but tried it anyway. Now, my lower back is pain-free! :-)

Thanks

I had the same experience. I consulted a chiropractor had some treatment and I am good as new.

15. Received thanks from:

OilSheikh

Quote Originally Posted by freelife2014 View Post
    I have same problem for several years
    I have started going to a chiropractor and the results have been fantastic. The pain would have been non-existent but it's mainly my fault. Chiro advised me to go twice a week but I only go once a week. He told me to do some excercises but I cannot make the time.

What the chiro basically did was put a belt around my neck and then pop my head to the left and to the right and then use this gun on some areas to get the receptors working again. He also explained that the problems stems from your posture and if you have stiff leg muscles ( I do from all the speed-walking I do )

It is costly ( £800 for 24 sessions ) but health is wealth. The sessions are only 10 mins. Whereabouts are you based ?

Thanks

Treat Chiropractic treatment with a certain amount of skepticism. Remember there is a word for Alternative medicine that actually works: Medicine.

18. Received thanks from:

MaddAussie (18-09-2014)

Facts are sacred
    Thanks
    • RobbieRoy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VII Ranger
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengance Pro Ultimate
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 128GB Samsung Evo pro SSD, 1 x 500GB Hitatchi HDD, 2 x 2Tb WD Green in Raid 1 Config.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX R9 280X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair CS750M
      • Case:
      • Home made wooden desk
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 TP
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB2488HSU-B1
      • Internet:
      • BT

Having an arthritic lower spine and wearing discs means that I have many years experience in this area. I think the key is to get a very clear diagnosis, which needs at least an MRI scan.

Then its whether its an acute or chronic condition in need of intervention, or a chronic condition that can't be 'cured' and so needs to be managed.

In my case, as there is no current intervention for facet joint decay or slightly prolapsed discs, knowing what's what in my back has allowed me to adjust my lifestyle to minimise pain and avoid further degradation. Hence, I exercise certain muscle groups, walk to keep fit, maintain a healthy BMI, keep warm in winter and bought a very expensive bed!

Oh, and I don't take drugs any more - a few years of NSAIDs gave me serious gastric issues... I just have 5gms fish oil every day.

As for chiropractors, why pay good money for a non-medically trained non-regulated service when you have fully trained and regulated physiotherapy available on the NHS? At least round here its a patient referral service so you don't need to ask your GP to refer you first.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieRoy View Post
    ... fully trained and regulated physiotherapy available on the NHS? At least round here its a patient referral service so you don't need to ask your GP to refer you first.
    Good luck getting on a waiting list, let alone getting an appointment, in many areas of the country. If you can't walk today, a physio appointment in 6 weeks time isn't much use Private chiropracters/osteopaths should be trained and regulated anyway (shouldn't they?). I see no reason to trust them less than NHS-approved clinics.

The one thing I will say, though, is get a personal recommendation. The Osteo I used in Birmingham (personally recommended by a friend) was amazing; I used to limp into the office and skip out of it. The one I tried in Manchester (picked relatively randomly from the yellow pages) was no use at all. So quality and efficacy does vary masively (and I suspect the same is true of NHS-provided physio, tbh).

Thanks

I've got a slipped disc in my thoracic spine. If I don't do the exercises the physio gave me (as well as keeping active, gym, MTB, walking) then I get pains.

Thread Information