Thread: problems booting after file system check

Thanks

Unhappy problems booting after file system check

where to start...

i got a thecus n5200 i did an upgrade to the .08 firmware. After it finished i was able to get into the thecus no problem. seen a check files system page, did a check on it and it seems to now hang. i go through the boot process only to get to a self "testing screen..." at the end.

I have tried many walk arounds to see about fixing it. since it was a test on the drives i tried removing them, no help still self testing...

i tried getting test factory_test.sh and the .10 & the 2.0 firmware updates, put the first two on a usb and hard rebooted the thecus. looks like it begins to work (HHHHHH and memory refreneces come on lcd) then sure enough self testing....

I would do the reboot from the web gui but i am unable to get the web interface up anymore. i need any help bad, this is a production NAS for work, need my info

Thanks

Re: problems booting after file system check

me too.
    After upgrading fw to ver 2.00.02.2 and we applied the "File system check" function under storage menu, then we lost both network linkage.
    My Raid look like normal form LCD, and I can still ping the ip of LAN, but I cannot use web disk, usb disk and ssh anymore.

Today morning, I reset system to default setting using buttons under LCD display, the most basically and easily way.
    After we modified WAN setting, thanks god, it alive! Reloading my setting from web browser, then it works again.
    I find some problems or bugs on N5200B pro as following,
    First, the same problem never happens before I connect to LAN and apply file system check.
    Second, the reset button cannot works under system holt.
    Third, the most easily resetting way is the most useful one.
    Last edited by sunjw; 30-08-2007 at 05:51 AM.

Registered+
    Thanks

Conclusion:
    - do not use Betas if you cannot cope with it (all versions with a fourth number are betas - like 2.00.02.2)
    - don't use the fsck by now, it's probably broken.
    - you may try invoking the fsck by hand using ssh, but do not let it fix anything, just display errors. The filesystem is mounted, so fsck warns you upon running on a mounted partition - it may damage it even more...

For the self-testing issue: let the reseller replace your device. it's a common error which can mean many things. Mainboard broken, RAM broken, DOM (disk on memory) broken or even backplane not working correctly.
    Hardware mods:
    # they void your warranty
    # they may seem to work, but kill your machine later on
    # they are mostly unneeded, because the engineers who built a machine knew what they were doing...

Thanks

This is a new problem on an older thecus, there is no way to get an rma. what is your next solution?

Thanks

fixed the problem....

i used the usb with the factory.test.sh and the 2.00.01. the problem was that the factory_test.sh was looking for a different firmware number --> example

#!/bin/sh
    fwfile="N5200upgrade.1.00.07.bin"
    raid_test=0
    nonettest=0

this needed to be change to reflect the firmware i was upgrading to, sooo...

#!/bin/sh
    fwfile="N5200upgrade.2.00.01.bin"
    raid_test=0
    nonettest=0

once i change the name, all was well. hope this helps some in the "self testing...." nightmare

Thread Information