Thread: N299 Can not comunicate with NTP server

Thanks

N299 Can not comunicate with NTP server

I don't keep the N299 running all the time, but when it is restarted it resets the date/time to January 2000. Not very helpful to have dozens of files dates 1/1/2000!

So what is needed to enable use of an NTP server to set the correct time? When I try System/Time/NTP server/Apply, it always returns "Can not communicate with NTP server [name]", regardless of which server I try. Same result using manually entered server names or DNS addresses.

I'm using port 2 on the N299 to connect to my router - that's nominally the LAN port - because that suits my router's default network address better than port 1 (WAN port). Is that anything to do with the problem?

My knowledge of networking and protocols is pretty limited. Thanks in anticipation for any suggestions for how to tackle this problem.

Polwhele

Thanks

Re: N299 Can not comunicate with NTP server

Quote Originally Posted by Polwhele View Post
    I don't keep the N299 running all the time, but when it is restarted it resets the date/time to January 2000. Not very helpful to have dozens of files dates 1/1/2000!

So what is needed to enable use of an NTP server to set the correct time? When I try System/Time/NTP server/Apply, it always returns "Can not communicate with NTP server [name]", regardless of which server I try. Same result using manually entered server names or DNS addresses.

I'm using port 2 on the N299 to connect to my router - that's nominally the LAN port - because that suits my router's default network address better than port 1 (WAN port). Is that anything to do with the problem?

My knowledge of networking and protocols is pretty limited. Thanks in anticipation for any suggestions for how to tackle this problem.

Polwhele
    I think you should use the WAN port. You should be able to use the Thecus Setup Wizard to change the WAN IP address if you can't use the web interface.

I use uk.pool.ntp.org as a manual time server with no problem.

Thanks

Re: N299 Can not comunicate with NTP server

Thanks andykn. Once I got past the Catch 22 of "you can't have the LAN and the WAN on the same network segment", I've finally changed the WAN port address 192.168.2.x, to the same network segment address as the router, so the N299 is now talking to the router via the WAN port and yes, it's found an NTP server immediately.
    Cheers!

Thread Information