Thread: ftp access problem

Thanks

ftp access problem

I've seen similar problems mentioned in earlier threads but no answers...

i've setup the ftp in the thecus control panel on, using port 4466. I've forwarded that port in my netgear router to 192.168.0.100 which is the ip of 4100+.

When I ftp locally to 192.168.0.100 command line or any ftp client, it works perfectly.

But when I try to ftp from outside, I run into problems:
    (same issue command line or client)
    It connects fine, it authenticates fine. I can change directory fine. And it tells me if I tried to change to directory that does not exist. but directory listing does not work!
    when I do 'ls' command (this works if I do it locally), it gives me 200 Port command successfull and then after a while gives me 425 no route to host error.

I've tried active and passive mode and extended passive mode with no luck, apart from active doesn't seem to work even this well.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Re: ftp access problem

The answeres has been given a few times here, but once again.
    The port 4466 which You have defined is the control port - standard here is 21. For data transfer in the passive mode any port above 1023 may be used from the server - the port which is used is sent from the server to the client via PORT command. If You don't have a firewall with dynamic rules, then you have to forward every port above 1024 to your 4100+ to be sure that it works. Firewalls with dynamic rules are creating the needed rules based on the PORT commands in the ftp session - usualy this works only with standard control port 21. The direction of the communication is on passive mode always from client to server.
    If You use active ftp, then also any port above 1024 is used for data transfer, but the connection is initiated from the server - so the direction is server to client for data transfer. Usually ftp servers run in passive mode by default and as long as you can't configure the server for active mode theres no way to activate it from the client. In active mode the firewall problem is on the client side and thats the reason why most servers are working in passive mode.
    br
    Peter

Thanks

Re: ftp access problem

Thanks, got it working.

Thread Information