Thread: N3200 crashes when copying large files from USB or from network

Thanks

Question N3200 crashes when copying large files from USB or from network

Hi,

Just purchased my brand new N3200 with 3 x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 (ST31000340AS / SD15), reason I chose this NAS product was that it offered the very best functionality and had 3 bays which was perfect for me.

Now I am one of many users experiencing problems with it crashing when copying large files. From USB or from network, after 1-2GB, it gives off a continuous BEEP and says "System restarted". It does not respond to anything, and after a couple of minutes of pressing onoff-button it beeps yet again and starts rebuilding the RAID.

RAID5, 128KB stripe size, firmware version 1.00.03.

Wrote a ticket at esupport.thecus.com, they recommend me sending it back to my reseller for a replacement.

My question is, will that really help? Has the market really been infected with malfunctioning units so that I can keep my fingers crossed and hope for a working replacement? My worry is that there are unresolved issues with the N3200 to begin with, given the number of postings on this site and other from users having problems with it.

Really appreciate some respons.

Sincerely,
    --cb, Sweden

Thanks

Re: N3200 crashes when copying large files from USB or from network

For instance, what about www(dot)thecusforum.eu/showthread.php?t=447
    I'm referring to the three links that "andersin" is posting;

==quote==
    According to www(dot)onbeat.dk/thecus/index.php/N3200_Hardware the N3200 uses a Freescale 8347 PowerPC and u-boot as a boot loader. On the u-boot FAQ I found this entry www(dot)denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/LinuxCrashesRandomly which hints at particular problems with a PowerPC architecture and that the SDRAM initialization could be the cause. It links to www(dot)denx.de/wiki/DULG/UBootCrashAfterRelocation which contains:
    ==endquote==

Registered+
    Thanks

Is this the pro model?? I have just got one of these a couple of days ago and I'm having a strange time setting it up. With little support from the various boards around the net I might add. :/

I'm also suffering crashes with large transfers. To the point I can't even get my data off my old NAS without problems. I'm starting to wonder if I'm better off exchanging it for a different manufacturer...

Thecus, some assistance right now would be very useful.

Thanks

Hi, I have just bought this unit today and noticed some comments in connection with the problem you are referring to. I do hope this won't happen to me - no offence - however, I have noticed that you are referring to firmware version 1.00.03 for the N3200 Pro whereas the actual firmware version listed on the Thecus support page is version 1.00.02. The former refers to the N3200. Now I am not certain wether this makes a difference but I would have thought that they publish different firmware under seperate version codes for a reason. Please let me know if this is the case and I hope you can get this sorted otherwise I won't be a happy bunny.

Thanks

Dear Sir,

N3200 & N3200PRO is 2 difference model, N3200 lateest verison is V1.00.03, and N3200PRO is V1.00.02:

http://www.thecus.com/dl.php

Thread Information