Thread: N7700 -- ZFS or EXT3?

Thanks

N7700 -- ZFS or EXT3?

When I recieved my 2x N7700s I set them up as ZFS, 128kb stripe, Raid 5.. over 7x 1.5 Seagates

This worked for me.. and for one week was transferring data to the array

Thecus has just told me that ACL will not work with ZFS at all.
    Also AFp for mac will not work

Other than going over the 8TB limit... It seems that EXT3 is the better choice.
    Its faster, it has options to use ACL ( v important), and can interface with a Mac using AFP

Its easy to get right under the 8TB limit, using 7 x Seagates when you select 95% usable capacity in the Menu, and you can have one partition instead of multiple ones.

Is there any other reason to use ZFS.. it seems EXT3 is the better choice.
    My experience is that ZFS is not for MAC users or anyone wanting multiple login Users to access different folders

P

Thanks

Re: N7700 -- ZFS or EXT3?

Just letting everyone know, whats going on with the N7700 now, after deleting the old raid with all information.. and using EXT3 with 128kb stripe size and 95% data usage on the 7x 1.5tbs

1 - Its all in One partition and is at 7.7TBs. Everything mounts fine as the Raid5 array and so far so good

2 - Once AFP is enabled in the menu.. AFP is working great now and no problems

3 - ACL is working great now. Really happy so far

4 - Speed difference vs ZFS... On ZFS I tried copying a set of 300,000 files totalling 1Tb of data to the array using SMB. This took 18 hours. Now using EXT3 and AFp.. the same transfer takes 4 hours... This is a huge 4-5x speed increase I am seeing. Very happy

Very good.. I would recommend to stick with EXT3

P

Thanks

Re: N7700 -- ZFS or EXT3?

I think you better use Ext3 instead of ZFS, I had a lot of problems when I used ZFS earlier. You can read my post on http://www.thecusforum.eu/showthread.php?t=1021

Thread Information