Thread: n8800 very noisy

Thanks

n8800 very noisy

Hi, my new n8800 just arrived and I'm very curious on getting it up and running and replace my n7700 which will be backup.

But, it is so noisy, all firmwares must be maxed out.

I took it out of the package and plugged in two Seagate Barracuda.ES2 1TB to start trying it since the other drives haven't arrived yet. And heard it. I have no db-meter so cant check it, but i have it on the same place as a HP server with dual Xeon, dual PSU and 43 gb RAM, and on the side of my n7700. The n8800 sounds more than 2 times of both of the other two together.

What could be wrong?

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: n8800 very noisy

Hi,

Maybe loud because it's a rack version....you can try changing the fans with some better (Noctua, arctic) if they fit.

Will be nice from Thecus to have the possibilty to choose the speed (auto, manual)...plenty of Bios have these options.

I don't have a n8800, just a N7700, I changed the two bigs with Noctua fans, it's great no noise at all.

Thanks

Interesting, I will consider this, but since theres obviously something wrong atm I would try to solve this before to ensure that it runs good.

Thanks

Submitted a supportticket 3 days ago but no answer yet, someone here with a qualified guess about what it could be, I can accept the fact that I have to change the fans (instead of DOA it, because I don't want to wait for a new one). But I don't really think that it is the fans that are the problem.

They are running on max from the start, they should be controlled by temperature and adapt the speed to it. Since its not the fan itself that determines the speed, its the motherboard (or other controller) it would run the new fans at max as well.
    The ones that are installed are capable of move a lot of air. Wich is great, if it gets hot in the server room they have to. But it's problematic if they do this all the time.
    If I install more quiet fans they will NOT be able to move the same amount of air and wont be able to run the NAS safely in higher room temperatures.
    Thats why I don't want to rush in to installing new fans.
    Someone who knows if this will void the warranty btw?
    Last edited by dbaron; 26-05-2009 at 08:01 AM.

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

Why is it a problem if they are running at the speed they are designed to run at, all the time?

As Lexos said, the N8800 is a rack system designed to sit in a server cabinet or data center. Noise of the fans in the last on a long list of requirments for such a device.

Thanks

Well, it is not a problem, I just hardly believe that the NAS are designed to run the fans at that speed all the time. If it is designed to do that, well, thats fine, I wouldn't rebuild or mod it. Then it is as it suppose to be.

The only problem it gives is the sound, this box sounds alot. It actually generates almost as much db's as my entire server room alone. It contains 12 servers (of which 4 are rack mounted), 8 UPS, two switches, 1 KVM switch, a 1-u router from cisco and AC.

Funkstar, I don't want to criticize thecus for choosing a fan which are capable of move a hole lot of air, thats great.
    But my box clearly aren't running as it designed to, even if the fans clearly are. The specs says something about 48 db, I wouldn't think about even ask about the noise if it where running at 50-60 or even above 70 dbs, I probably wouldn't have noticed it, but this is different. This is generating way beyond 100 db, and I don't even have any discs in it.

If this is the way it's supposed to be, then I will accept it and I wont blame anyone else for not researching it further before I bought it.

Edit: Just found a funny input on the matter in a review from this site http://www.pr.com/press-release/123826
    Quote Originally Posted by ReviewQuote
    Thecus® N7700 and N8800 has truly engineered to break all restrictions and bring robust data fortress to every enterprise. Most important of all, all these data protection features are designed to operate at minimal power and noise level. Thecus® N7700 or N8800 system itself only requires no more than 40W (without hard drive disks), saving energy and your utility bill, and is as quite as less than 35dB. It allows 24/7 data access under noiseless manner, perfect fit for office environment.
    Last edited by dbaron; 26-05-2009 at 08:15 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dbaron View Post
    The only problem it gives is the sound, this box sounds alot. It actually generates almost as much db's as my entire server room alone. It contains 12 servers (of which 4 are rack mounted), 8 UPS, two switches, 1 KVM switch, a 1-u router from cisco and AC.

Funkstar, I don't want to criticize thecus for choosing a fan which are capable of move a hole lot of air, thats great.
    But my box clearly aren't running as it designed to, even if the fans clearly are. The specs says something about 48 db, I wouldn't think about even ask about the noise if it where running at 50-60 or even above 70 dbs, I probably wouldn't have noticed it, but this is different. This is generating way beyond 100 db, and I don't even have any discs in it.
    The dB sound pressure level scale is logarithmic, I can guarantee that it is not 100dB and I find it hard to believe that it's even running at 70dB...

Anyway, is it the fans that are making the noise or is it the case rattling or something? On my N7700 I had a rattle on the side panel so I put some insulation tape around the edge that cleared it up.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pskone View Post
    The dB sound pressure level scale is logarithmic, I can guarantee that it is not 100dB and I find it hard to believe that it's even running at 70dB...

Anyway, is it the fans that are making the noise or is it the case rattling or something? On my N7700 I had a rattle on the side panel so I put some insulation tape around the edge that cleared it up.
    Ok with a little better reaserch, 100 db is REALLY Loud and its clearly not making that loud noise, but as you can see described above the box are making a lot of sound even compared to my hole server room.

I am quite sure that it is only the fans going on their max at about 2900 RPM all the time. I cant have it powered on in the workshop where it's located atm for testing since I can't stay in the same room as it for very long.

I'm sure that it nothing wrong with the case it self. My guess is that something is wrong with the weiring or the fancontroller, the HD (when I hade any in it, which I don' atm) reported temps under 30 C so it cant be the temps it self, at least not on the discs. I have a N7700 standing on the side of the n8800, it is very quiet, can barely hear it a few meters away. They aren't exactly the same hardware so of course they may differ, but this is night and day.

Have got any answers from Thecus support yet, have been 5 days now since i submitted a ticket so it does not look very promising, can't find any phone number to them either.

Thread Information