Thread: n2100 unable to use mirrored raid disks

Thanks

n2100 unable to use mirrored raid disks

Hi,

I have a thecus 2100 with 2 seagate 320gb sata drives setup as raid (mirrored) . 1 disk has errors and is going back to seagate. However my thecus will not come online with just the 1 working disk for me to recover my data. The unit shows a blue HDD recognised as it starts, and then the blue light goes off and stays off and the thecus is not viewable via its ip address or via the thecus install disk that looks on network for thecus boxes.

This may be a thecus AND faulty disk issue - can i test my thecus in anyway or rest it to a unfixed ip address and its basic state???

The seagate drives shows up in windows as healthy but unknown partition and shows 3 partitions on it. I have brought a sata docking station disk and again it runs up the disk but will not let me moount it (in mac) or use it in windows.

How can i access the info on my 1 working disk - this is after all the purpose of Raid to be covered when 1 disk goes down???

Can anyone advise on s/w that may help.

PS I asked to return my thecus 2100n for me to pay for a repair and they say its not supported for repairs if it faulty - anywhere else to get a repair if i have disk and thecus problems?

I live in the UK for returns.

Thanks in advance

Mr Batch

Thanks

Re: n2100 unable to use mirrored raid disks

bump

any one there at thecus?

can you repair this n2100 if you think its broken. please give service centre info.

Thanks again.

Thanks

!!! come on thecus - this is a support area for you isn't it?

even a NO will help me move on.

any advice at all?

Thanks

thanks thecus - 1 week and not even the courtesy of a reply.....!!! great customer service.

my seagate disk has been holland and back replaced brand new within 4 days. That is service!!

Thanks

May be You should contact thecus support via esupport.thecus.com and raise a ticket.
    br
    Peter

Thanks

thanks peterfu - i will
    i came here as the people (scan) who i brought the box from said this was their support forum and was monitored by thecus.

thanks - i'll try

Thanks

It seems quite odd to me that your Mac wouldn't mount the remaining disk. The n2100 is supposed to boot and run properly even when containing only one disk of a pair. the only difference is that is will beep (unless you've turned off the alarm in the settings, to tell you that the raid is degraded. These drives are formatted ext3, which apparently requires some work to mount on a Mac.

A couple things I would check:
    Can you ping the device on the network?
    If you get a ping response, try use Network Utility.app (on your Mac) to do a port scan. Do you get any open ports?
    Can you ssh into the device (assuming you installed and enabled the ssh module)?

To get ext3 to mount on a mac, try this program:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsx

If you're running 10.4.7 or 10.4.8, you might need to reference this page to get it to mount (there are command line instructions near the bottom):
    http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.p...orum_id=218925

Another route (which may be faster in the long run): download and burn a livecd/DVD of Ubuntu (or linux of your choice) and boot your mac using that. You should be able to then mount multiple usb volumes, and run fsck -y if needed. I can't guarantee that the n2100 will accept the drive back after that, but I see no reason why it shouldn't... the n2100 uses e2fsck which as far as I know is actually the same program as fsck.

Just a few ideas.

Thread Information