Continued from Project: Kitchen Utensil+ (Mk II in progress 22/09/10)
After deciding my first shot took up too much space & didn't hinge as I'd wanted I thought I'd have another pop.
Firstly I got my laptop, a poundland chopping borad, some meccano style stuff, a cheap canvas frame, some hinges.
boring pic of parts
Putting these together with some small meccano parts gave me this.
The back looks messy but oh well!
I drilled some small holes in the front, hammered in motherboard standoffs and used case screws to hold the screen onto the front. For the back I used more meccano.
[url=http://www.woollycomforts.co.uk/IMAGES/hexus/screenbare.jpg]Front with bare wood/url]
to tidy up the bare wood I used the canvas to sover the whole front of the chopping board, some holes for wires and the screen screwed on & it looks ok. I imagine it'll get very dirty very quickly so this is probably only a short term thing.
At the top the hinges are screwed directly into the board. The wooden strip is part of the canvs frame & will need to be replaced with some hardwood as it's very brittle & weak.
So that's it for now. On my to-do list is:
- New piece of wood to mount hinges & screw into cabinet.
- Replace canvas with something more hardwearing or somehow seal it.
- Wood to cover the visible laptop from the sides, probably something a bit nice. Thinking of maple but it's expensive & not sure if it'd go with the colourscheme.
- Some sort of handle to pull the screen down with secured onto the bottom.
- some sort of catch (magnetic) to hold it in an upright position when not in use.
Regarding the last 'to-do' If anyone has some neodymium magnets on the cheap that'd be great