Thread: FP-IN9 memory limitations and PSU requirements

Thanks

FP-IN9 memory limitations and PSU requirements

From reading around I see that many people have had problems filling all 4 memory slots on nforce 680i boards and running above ddr 666 and/or not able to run at 1t command rate. Are there any such problems with the FP-IN9 as I'm looking to upgrade to 4gb of faster RAM but if it wont run any faster if I use all 4 slots I'll have to buy a 4gb kit (with slower timings).

Also I'm considering upgrading my PSU as others have managed to overclock with this board, while I don't get very far with a CPU known to be good - temps aren't a problem but online PSU calculators (I know they're not great, but they are a better guess than me) suggest I need about 430w and I only have a 400w, and it is a couple of years old so not at its best.

Would anyone like to tell me that I'm wrong on the PSU? I have entered my system on my profile. The only thing missing is that my hard drives are a 200 and a 160gb Seagate Baracuda 7 and a 500gb Western Digital AAKS

Thanks for any advice

Suicidal_Orange

Thanks
    • Lvcoyote's system
      • Motherboard:
      • EVGA X79 FTW
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 3930K
      • Memory:
      • 4X4Gb G.SKill RipjawsZ DDR3 1866MHz
      • Storage:
      • OCZ Vertex 2 240Gb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • @X GTX 560 Ti Classified Ultra SLI
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 850Watt Professtional Series
      • Case:
      • Corsair 700D W/Window Side Panel
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro X64
      • Monitor(s):
      • eMachines & Hanns-G
      • Internet:
      • Onboard Marvell Yukon LAN
    Most people will tell you to use a 2X kit for memory before going with 4 dimms. Ome have luck using 4 dimms and others do not, its kind of a crap shoot, but I can assure you any overclocking attemps will be hampered with all four dimm slots being populated, and thats true on almost any platform. As far as the PSU goes, I would suggest Enermax, Fortron, OCZ, and tagan for good brands. Now days the +12v amperage output is just as important as wattage, if not more so. I recommend something with a +12v amperage rating at least in the mid 20's or more. Something around 500 to 600 watts would serve you well.
    EVGA X79 FTW, i7 3930K @ 4.5ghz, 4X4Gb G.Skill RipjawsZ 1866MHz, 2X EVGA GTX560 Ti Classified Ultra SLI, Corsair700D W/Window Side Panel, Corsair HX850W, OCZ Vertex 2 240Gb SSD, Seagate 320gb SATA II, Plextor Blu-Ray Burner, Apogee XT CPU Water Block, Alphacool Laing DDC-Pump 12V Ultra Water Tank, Black Ice Extreme Radiator, Win 7 Pro x64

Lvcoyote's Blog Spot
    Heatware

Thanks
    Well as I couldn't stand the thought of running slow timings I went ahead and bought 2gb of OCZ pc7200, either it would play nice and I'd have 4gb or I would have faster RAM, either way I couldn't loose.

I set the timings to the default timings of the OCZ at 900mhz (stock, 4-4-3-15 1t) and re-added my old 2gb of Corsair pc5400 and did a mild overclock from 1066 to 1400 fsb (RAM in sync mode, 700fsb) and its rock solid through 8 hours of memtest (10 passes, while I slept) and dual mencoder stable in Linux (my own torture test, causes more crashes/lockups than orthos) so to anyone who insists on matching their memory or worrying about loosing 1t needn't worry on this board.

Now back to testing the newly released bios 12, now I have some faster RAM so that won't be holding me back

Suicidal_Orange

Thread Information