Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for Abit owners - would you recommend them?

Thanks
    • Dreaming's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35 Pro
      • CPU:
      • e6300 @ 2.8ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4gb Corsair XMS2 PC6400
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Western Digital for OS + 1500GB Seagate for Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG 8800GTS OC2 320MB
      • PSU:
      • Antec Neo HE 550
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC A05B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Vista Home Premium x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 22" 226BW
      • Internet:
      • NTL 4Mb/s

Question for Abit owners - would you recommend them?

Hi, hope this is ok to have this thread here . I want to buy the Abit IP35 Pro motherboard when it comes out, as my Asus P5W is failing I fear. And having seen a properly set up Abit Nf-m2n motherboard, it's very very speedy.

However, on another forum where they were discussing it, abit seemed to have a bit of a reputation for releasing motherboards before they worked. Especially the first ones with a new chipset. I'm wondering though how true this is? Apparently the drivers and bios are written whenever the devs feel like it and they don't listen to support requests?

I like the look of the motherboard though and so want another opinion. Of course all new boards with a new chipset will have issues, but will the IP35 Pro work when it comes out, or will it be like (I think) the AW9D? Someone mentioned it took 6 months to get a working bios for his c2d / c2q processor.

Having used asus before they are quite rock solid but I think they're too bulky and expensive. So I may be migrating to abit, how do you find their boards? And their support? (sorry to the abit mods if it's not the right place to put this)

***** Lurker
    Thanks
    • d3fiant's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GB X58A-UDR3 FB11
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 950
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 12GB DDR3 1600
      • Storage:
      • 2x 120GB OCZ Agility SSD + 500GB SP F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GB Windforce GTX670 2GB
      • PSU:
      • 850W Akasa
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64 HP Retail
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" 1920x1080 Iiyama LED
      • Internet:
      • 60MB VM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreaming View Post
    Apparently the drivers and bios are written whenever the devs feel like it and they don't listen to support requests?
    While that may be the percieved view I believe it is a little harsh and probably untrue. I have been using Abit boards for several years and recommend them to friends. The newer boards have been pretty good and while chipsets such as the 680i have been problamatic, they have been for most brands not just abit. My advice is dont jump straight in, read reviews from good sites on retail samples (not engineering samples), i.e Hexus, BitTech, Anandtech etc and see what they think

***** Lurker
    Thanks
    • d3fiant's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GB X58A-UDR3 FB11
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 950
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 12GB DDR3 1600
      • Storage:
      • 2x 120GB OCZ Agility SSD + 500GB SP F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GB Windforce GTX670 2GB
      • PSU:
      • 850W Akasa
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64 HP Retail
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" 1920x1080 Iiyama LED
      • Internet:
      • 60MB VM
    also wait for the review from gilgamesh who I believe is gettin one soon, his past reviews have been very good, plus he likes to push them as far as he can

0iD
    Thanks
    • 0iD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Leave my mother out of it!
      • CPU:
      • If I knew what it meant?
      • Memory:
      • Wah?
      • Storage:
      • Cupboards and drawers
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Slate & chalk
      • PSU:
      • meh
      • Case:
      • Suit or Brief?
      • Operating System:
      • Brain
      • Monitor(s):
      • I was 1 at skool
      • Internet:
      • 28k Dialup
    THey've been consistently in my top 3 mobo manufacturers over the years with Asus & Intel for reliability. Have one at the mo & have to say i'm well happy.

Plus the forum-based tech support is excellent.
    [
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen
    When I say go, both walk in the opposite direction for 10 paces, draw handbags, then bitch-slap each other!

Thanks
    • DratUK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P877-V Pro
      • CPU:
      • I5 3570K with Antec Kuhler 920
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb Corsair Vengance
      • Storage:
      • 120Gb OCZ Vertex 2 Sandforce, 1TB WD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit Jetstream 670
      • PSU:
      • Enermax 720
      • Case:
      • Lian Li A10B
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24" 1900x1200
      • Internet:
      • VM 100
    A difficult question as whatever we say here is based on previous chipsets, and as you quite rightly pointed out any new chipset will have issues. Everybody is comfortable with the 965, but on its initial release it was plauged with issues. Anyway back to Abit. I switched to Abit from MSI who I had used for years.

I initially bought the AW9D Max in December this had bios 1.2 which had a couple of quibbles ie setting the TFRc. I have to say after updating the bios it was rock solid, no problems whatsoever.

I now have the QuadGT I have had to do 1 bios update since then again fast overclocks like a dream.

I would whole heartedly give Abit the thumbs up for any prospective buyer. Hopefully I don't have to eat humble pie now.
    Oh one final thing. Forum support here at Hexus and on the Abit USA forums are second to none. Many Abit devotees such as Buff Gilgamesh Richh et al give a lot of their spare time with help and suggestions, as well as our own AbitSean here on Hexus. You try getting that from Asus

Will work for beer... nichomach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • nichomach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95W
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DR3
      • Storage:
      • 1x250GB Maxtor SATAII, 1x 400GB Hitachi SATAII
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1060 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 20" TFT
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Cable
    From the old BP6 that we set up in my last job, through my NF7-S to the KN8-SLI I currently use in my home rig (taking in an IC7-G in another work rig) they've been fine. Only issue I've ever had was a whiny chipset fan on the IC7, which Abit offered to replace for the cost of postage. As it happens I decided to Zalmanise the chipset anyway, but they were pretty swift and reasonable about it.

Thanks
    • gilgamesh's system
      • Motherboard:
      • abit IP35 PRo
      • CPU:
      • 8500 wolfdale
      • Memory:
      • 2x2 gigs (4 gigs) of OCZ REAPER X Ram
      • Storage:
      • 500GIG WD SATA 2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vvikoo 8800GT (1GIG MAX)
      • PSU:
      • Gigabyte ODIN 1200W
      • Case:
      • Mountain MODS U2 UFO CASE original top WATER COOLED TO HELL!!
      • Monitor(s):
      • cibox 22"WD LCD
    Hi, hope this is ok to have this thread here . I want to buy the Abit IP35 Pro motherboard when it comes out, as my Asus P5W is failing I fear. And having seen a properly set up Abit Nf-m2n motherboard, it's very very speedy.

However, on another forum where they were discussing it, abit seemed to have a bit of a reputation for releasing motherboards before they worked. Especially the first ones with a new chipset. I'm wondering though how true this is? Apparently the drivers and bios are written whenever the devs feel like it and they don't listen to support requests?

I like the look of the motherboard though and so want another opinion. Of course all new boards with a new chipset will have issues, but will the IP35 Pro work when it comes out, or will it be like (I think) the AW9D? Someone mentioned it took 6 months to get a working bios for his c2d / c2q processor.

Having used asus before they are quite rock solid but I think they're too bulky and expensive. So I may be migrating to abit, how do you find their boards? And their support? (sorry to the abit mods if it's not the right place to put this)
    Sorry to say the IP35 PRO has been dalyed for ANOTHER week due to shipping issues, sorry jsut been informed just now..grrrrrrrrrrr So im afraid my initial impression will have to wait=BAH The latest import date is 1ST of June 2007. I think I will be one of the first batch of 50 boards to arrive in the UK, then soon after that Everyone else should get them.

On reading the specs of the Bearlake chipset, my impression is that it will run good on DDR 2 ram, but to REALLY make it shine as far as speed and overclocking you will need DDR3. DDR3 runs at 1.5 standard isntead of 1.8 even WITH looser timings it is much faster. Anyway time will tell.

So folks looks like you will have to wait at least another week for Johnny Bravo's and I reviews.

My apologies

Gilgamesh
    In the immortal words of Ali-G "Is it cos I is an Overclocker?"

Thanks
    • Dreaming's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35 Pro
      • CPU:
      • e6300 @ 2.8ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG 8800GTS OC2 320MB
      • PSU:
      • Antec Neo HE 550
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC A05B
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 22" 226BW
      • Internet:
      • NTL 4Mb/s
    Thanks a lot guys! I've had random issues with my computer for a while and so been on the lookout for a new mobo. Saw the Asus P5K but it's muchmore expensive and having seen an abit boot up it's so fast compared to my asus. Will definately kee an eye out for that review, unfortunately on my board the wireless is integrated but an airpace pci-e wlan card looks like it will do the job.

Thanks
    • zephod's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z77
      • CPU:
      • Intel i3570k @4.2ghz
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 8GB DDR1600 White LP
      • Storage:
      • Lots
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD6870
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster silent pro 600W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 550D
      • Operating System:
      • dozeXP / ubuntu 13.10 / win7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq 24" 1080p
      • Internet:
      • 20mb
    Abit very handy when i fragged my bios chip. Got a reply email straight away and the chip was back reprogrammed in 5 days. Also, their iP965 boards are great at overclocking, if slightly weirdly designed. I love mine.

Thanks
    • gilgamesh's system
      • Motherboard:
      • abit IP35 PRo
      • CPU:
      • 8500 wolfdale
      • Memory:
      • 2x2 gigs (4 gigs) of OCZ REAPER X Ram
      • Storage:
      • 500GIG WD SATA 2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vvikoo 8800GT (1GIG MAX)
      • PSU:
      • Gigabyte ODIN 1200W
      • Case:
      • Mountain MODS U2 UFO CASE original top WATER COOLED TO HELL!!
      • Monitor(s):
      • cibox 22"WD LCD

i have been a long time underground fan of abit sicne the old IC7-MAX3 board days (I still have it in its original box somewhere) This board overclocked the northwood like crazy once the board was modded.

I was a n ASUS fan once unti lthe old P4 pe BOARD DIED ON ME, (TWO OF THEM) then I tried the above board and I was blown away! Since then I have gone through various abit boards, AW9D MAX ABIT NI8 SLI then the AW9D Max. I twas teh AW9D MAX that did it for me, and that board overclocked like heck, I was VERY impressed with this board and indeed I still have it as a spare board. I have many abit boards at home mainly : Fatal1ty AA8XE, NI8 SLU. IC7 MAX 3 , AW9D MAX, AB9 QUAD GT, AB9 PRO, FP9-SLI- F-IN90 HD, LG95 ad LG95Z and the IN932 MAX

On every abit board generation the board layout design gets better. Recently there have admittedly been a few bios issues, but even they are slowly getting better. If you have seen the mad design on the AB9 PRO and its insane placement of the IDEport and then compared that with the AB9 QUAD GT you will releiase that they are light years apart in terms of design.

As far as for support requests, you will actually find that they DO listen. You have just happened to find the right forum now, as this is the place to get things done, usually it is people such as Johnny bravo, Richh, buff and myself that will see it through for you. Abit has kept its fan-base from the ic7-max 3 days and they are a company worth sticking with.

Just to put you in the picture nobody here apart from Sean actually work for abit, we are all just abit fans answering questions.

If you have any issues with abit boards myself and many others here are willing to see it through for you.

Watch out for reviews here, you will find myself and others on many many forums.

THE ip35 pro has been delayed due to shipping issues for a week but will be here soon.

gilgamesh
    In the immortal words of Ali-G "Is it cos I is an Overclocker?"

Old Fool!
    Thanks
    • EtheAv8r's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus V Gene
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570K @ 4500 Mhz
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb
      • Storage:
      • 2 x Samsung EVO 850 SSD; 1 x Samsung 2TB HD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GeForce GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic S-12 650 Energy+
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2713H
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity II
    I tried ASUS with their Commando for me and M2V for my daughter. ASUS help and support is really bad, and updates are near to impossible to download from their appaulling slow web site.

I replaced the Commando with a QuadGT - and am very glad I did! My daughter got the Commando for a less demanding role, and the M2V was passed on to a friend who loves ASUS and AMD and does not want to overclock.

I will be sticking with abit from now - and have recently built a new machine for another daughter with an abit MB.
    Try to make each and every day the best it can be.

Thanks
    hardware design is excellent but BIOS updates have been a bit slower than people would like (tbh people always want stuff yesterday without realising what other factors can be involved) but that's been improving too.

All the mobo mfrs basically have the same chipset issues but I think that the P35 chipset won't be bad because as far as I can see it's basically an improved 965 rather than a radical change such as 965 was from it's predecessor.
    I of course admit to abit of bias but if that chap is who I think it was he seems to dislike all the mobo mfrs but has a particular dislike for abit & he does tend to exaggerate somewhat.

mobos are fine & good vfm
    abit UK support is excellent & you won't find better user community support than here & abit-usa forums.

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750
    abit A-S78H, Phenom 9750,

My HEXUS.trust abit forums

Thanks
    • Blitzen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ABIT iX38 QuadGT
      • CPU:
      • Intel Quad Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz : 30 Degrees Idle - 41-46 Degrees Load
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 1GB OCZ Platinum PC6400 @ 4-4-4-12
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 500GB Samsung Spinpoints - RAID 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 285
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU 82+ 625W
      • Case:
      • Antec Nine Hundred
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic Q22wb 22" Widescreen - 5ms
      • Internet:
      • O2 premium @ 17mb
    I have an AW9D-Max Wifi and its perfect!
    Defintiely the best board i have ever had. I owned the AS8 before this and that was a fantistic board also. Vey reliable!

ABIT need to sort out their bios releases, but as far as board quality goes, they surpass everyone else.
    Last edited by Blitzen; 29-05-2007 at 08:34 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Kurayamino's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit AW9D-MAX
      • CPU:
      • C2D 6700 3Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Geil 4GB
      • Storage:
      • Western Digital Raptor 120GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 620
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Stacker 830
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WFP
      • Internet:
      • NO Internet connection :(
    I'd put them over Asus after the recent events I had with one of there 680i boards. Although that could have been the chipset but the Abit board I had worked perfectly out of the box!
    All comments listed above are for comical purpose only. Any offense taken by them is purely accidental and coincidental. If you have any questions about said response, a support line is available.

Registered+
    Thanks
    I've just bought my first ABit, an FP-IN9. First impressions of the board are that it's stable, well constructed and laid-out, and has a nice, practical no-frills feature set. The BIOS seems to be nice and clean have all the necessary options without too much unnecessary fluff (compared to some Asus boards for example which have way too much BS in there) although the ability to manually force the FSB strap would've been nice. It was very easy to get everything up and running at normal speeds and stable.
    However I must say I can't reccomend ABit for overclocking yet as my FP-IN9/E4300 combo has so far failed to yield ANY worthwhile overclock. However I've only had it up and running for 2 days so I'm prepared to reserve judgement on that aspect of the system for now until I pinpoint exactly why it isn't overclocking.

Thanks
    • Dreaming's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35 Pro
      • CPU:
      • e6300 @ 2.8ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG 8800GTS OC2 320MB
      • PSU:
      • Antec Neo HE 550
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC A05B
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 22" 226BW
      • Internet:
      • NTL 4Mb/s
    Just tried overclocking my girlfriends nf-m2n and zomg so many options! :heart: and overclocks loads heh. Her X2 3600+ boots faster than my c2d now

just a shame about the £25 increase in the IP35 pro . Hopefully can find it from somewhere at the sub £100 price.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information