Thread: Samsung spinpoint problem

Registered+
    Thanks

Samsung spinpoint problem

Hi All,

I have just spent the last few days putting together my new pc and I am currently having trouble installing XP. My IP35 picks up the hard drive in the bios, although in dos it does say it can't see a drive (when booting). I can get as far as formatting the drive, however then my XP installation stops after a few seconds stating it cannot load a certain file. I have tried two XP disks and I am still getting the same problem. I have downloaded what I think are the sata drivers I require from the samsung website. I am currently in the xp screen where you can load sata drivers (f6 during xp installation), with the disk inserted I am getting the following required - "txtsetup.oem" - the drivers I have don't have this file. Am I doing something wrong here? Do I need to install these drivers? I am running my sata mode in the motherboard as IDE. Quite often I can't even get into the f6 screen....

Any help would be appreciated.

Model: Samsung spinpoint HD501LJ

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Samsung spinpoint problem

The message I get when the setup files try to start copying is the following "irql_not_less_or_equal".

Thanks

some more system info would help ...

You shouldn't need to F6 a driver in IDE mode for a SATA drive attached to the ICH9/ICH9R.
    At a guess I suspect that your RAM voltage isn't set properly.

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750
    abit A-S78H, Phenom 9750,

My HEXUS.trust abit forums

Registered+
    Thanks

Sorry for not replying sooner, I have been having a discussion in another part of the forum. I am still having problems when trying to install windows. Currently I have tried, using both an IDE DVD rom and CD rom to install windows (rather than my SATA dvd drive). I still wasn't able to windows to install. I have downloaded what I believe to be the correct sata drivers from the intel website, to allow me to install after the f6 prompt. Windows still gives me the BSOD, error after about 3 % when copying over system files. When the computer starts up I have a jmicron message at the top of the screen saying "no any drive found". Should I be using jmicron and if not how do I disable this?
    I have my samsung spinpoint plugged into sata port 1, my sata dvd drive is plugged into sata port 3. I am currently using 1 stick of ram (have tried a seperate peice also) plugged into dimm 1.
    In the softmenu in the bios my "DDR2 voltage - 1.80v".
    My full system spec's are as follows:

Abit ip35
    Geil Black Dragon PC2-6400 800Mhz 2GB Kit (2x1GB) - currently using 1 stick (I have 4)
    BFG NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS OC 512MB PCI Express Graphics Card – Retail
    Samsung Spin Point SATAII NCQ 500GB 16Mb Cache Hard Disk Drive <9.0ms 7200rpm – OEM
    Corsair HX520 520 Watt PSU
    Intel Quad Core Q6600 95Watt G0 Stepping (This is the one that Overclocks) 4 x 2.40Ghz 8Mb Cache 1066 FSB Quad Core Processor
    Samsung sata DVD drive

My CPU is running at a temp between 25 - 31 oc, so I don't see any problems there. I also have all of the same components twice (building two of these buggers!) so can always change parts around as needed. My Sata controller is current set to IDE mode.

Many thanks

Rob

Thanks
    • noveltylamp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus V Gene
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 3570K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 128GB SSD/1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia Geforce GTX 670 2GB
      • PSU:
      • 550w Seasonic-built XFX
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2410 & 2209WA
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mb

The error message you are receiving is not consistant with a HDD problem, it is usually seen when a system is unstable due to excess overclock, excess heat, insufficient voltage etc. If your CPU is currently at stock, check that the RAM divider isn't set to something silly, try 1:1 to start off with and raise your RAM voltage to 2.1v as your RAM is specified for use from 1.9v - 2.4v.

Registered+
    Thanks

Changed to the suggested settings XP is now installing. Love is a strong word, but I think I may actually love you!

Thread Information