Thread: IP35 Pro hangs on post code 90. Bad bios chip?

Thanks
    • MattMerrifield's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600
      • Memory:
      • Gskill 2x2GB
      • Storage:
      • Intel SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 5750 x2 (crossfire)
      • PSU:
      • OCZ 700W
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7

IP35 Pro hangs on post code 90. Bad bios chip?

You folks seem like helpful people, and I'm having a rather large problem.

Two days ago, I woke up to find my computer off. When I tried to turn it on, it wouldn't boot. I'd hear the fans spin up, and then stop again. I tried this several times to no avail.

I cracked the case open, and tried again a few times. Each time, the post code would start its usual sequence, and get to C0 or C1, hang, and then go to 99 when it shut down. I looked up the code in the manual, and C1 seemed to be a graphics card issue. Since i had just installed new graphics drivers, i figured that was my problem.

Eventually, I managed to get it to boot, as if by magic. I just pushed the button over and over, because each time I tried booting it, it got a slightly different post code, and stayed on for varying amounts of time--from just a half a second to well over thirty second before shutdown. Once I got it to boot, I rolled back my graphics drivers and figured all was well.

Nope. Next morning, I wake up to find it dead again. I got the same C1/C0 post code errors, and said to myself "crap, time for a new graphics card". So I went to Fry's and picked up two ATI Radeon HD5750's to replace the aging Geforce 8800GTS that was giving me trouble.

After much futzing, I got it to boot again with the new cards. I installed the drivers, and on the reboot it worked fine. On five or six reboots in a row, it worked fine. I figured my problem was solved, and i manged to upgrade my graphics cards to boot! Wohoo!

Well, fast forward to today, and the damn thing shut down again while playing Dragon Age. Now it hangs on post code 90, which means it won't go fro the uGuru utility to the bios, right? Does this mean my bios chip is screwed? Any advice? Can I re-flash it to fix the problem (if it magically reboots) or will I need to buy a new chip?

Thanks for your help.
    -Matt

Thanks

Re: IP35 Pro hangs on post code 90. Bad bios chip?

I'm having almost the same exact problem with my IP35 Pro. Very similar setup. I had a 8800 GT. AT first I got a C1 error, then the 99. Every now and again it hangs at 90 when it actually stays on even though it's not going through all the bios checks. Sometimes I can get it to boot to windows but eventually it gives me the big FU and shuts off. I've been fussing with it for a week now. I'll let you know if I come up with a solution and post. Please do the same if you figure out yours. I'm guessing either our MB's or Bios chips are fried. Either that or a dying power supply. Those are the only options I've been able to come up with.

Thanks
    • Lvcoyote's system
      • Motherboard:
      • EVGA X79 FTW
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 3930K
      • Memory:
      • 4X4Gb G.SKill RipjawsZ DDR3 1866MHz
      • Storage:
      • OCZ Vertex 2 240Gb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • @X GTX 560 Ti Classified Ultra SLI
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 850Watt Professtional Series
      • Case:
      • Corsair 700D W/Window Side Panel
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro X64
      • Monitor(s):
      • eMachines & Hanns-G
      • Internet:
      • Onboard Marvell Yukon LAN

Quote Originally Posted by Evilution View Post
    I'm having almost the same exact problem with my IP35 Pro. Very similar setup. I had a 8800 GT. AT first I got a C1 error, then the 99. Every now and again it hangs at 90 when it actually stays on even though it's not going through all the bios checks. Sometimes I can get it to boot to windows but eventually it gives me the big FU and shuts off. I've been fussing with it for a week now. I'll let you know if I come up with a solution and post. Please do the same if you figure out yours. I'm guessing either our MB's or Bios chips are fried. Either that or a dying power supply. Those are the only options I've been able to come up with.
    A C1 error almost always means a memory error, and I have even seen where the memory on a video card can cause a C1 error. Any post code with 9X usually means corrupt BIOS, bad PSU, or dead board. Given this information it's up to you how much time/effort/money you want to spend trying to fix an aging system with a motherboard from a company that no longer exists.
    EVGA X79 FTW, i7 3930K @ 4.5ghz, 4X4Gb G.Skill RipjawsZ 1866MHz, 2X EVGA GTX560 Ti Classified Ultra SLI, Corsair700D W/Window Side Panel, Corsair HX850W, OCZ Vertex 2 240Gb SSD, Seagate 320gb SATA II, Plextor Blu-Ray Burner, Apogee XT CPU Water Block, Alphacool Laing DDC-Pump 12V Ultra Water Tank, Black Ice Extreme Radiator, Win 7 Pro x64

Lvcoyote's Blog Spot
    Heatware

Thanks
    • MattMerrifield's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600
      • Memory:
      • Gskill 2x2GB
      • Storage:
      • Intel SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 5750 x2 (crossfire)
      • PSU:
      • OCZ 700W
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7

So I got fed up with not having a computer, and fed up with Abit's tech support ignoring me, so I went to Fry's and bought a new motherboard & processor (MSI 790FX & AMD Phenom II 965).

When I first installed them, to my dismay, it wouldn't post at all. Wouldn't boot up, nothing. I nearly threw everything out the window in frustration.

But I realized that the only part I hadn't replaced was the power supply, so I replaced that too. Then it booted just fine (with the new hardware) and works great.

The old mobo still won't finish booting; it hangs at 7F, and I don't know why. I'm not sure I care anymore, though.

Thanks

you do realise that abit hasn't made a mobo in ~2 years & are out of business?
    when it shows 7F have you tried hitting the F1 key? - it's waiting on input from you.

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750
    abit A-S78H, Phenom 9750,

My HEXUS.trust abit forums

Thread Information