Thread: Moving old Windows XP across to AB9 Pro

Registered+
    Thanks

Moving old Windows XP across to AB9 Pro

Sort of feel this must be a common problem but most of the replies are about problems with fresh installs.

I've built a new system based around the AB9 Pro but want to migrate my old Windows XP disk across. I really don't want to have to do a fresh install as I've got loads of stuff to reinstall and I can't remember what or where it all is. I have XP on a single SATA drive connected to Sata 1. Boot up and I get the BSOD and the "x000007B" message. This I believe is to be expected and indicates that my old drivers are loading and Windows gives up etc etc?

So what do I do? I've read various options.

1. Fix the problem on the new PC. Do a repair install (but not a fresh install) of Windows XP on the AB9 Pro based system. But I need to access a DVD ROM and I only have an IDE DVD drive and so I gather that I'll need the JMicron drivers to access the DVD drive. How do I load those? This F6 stuff is for an install and not a boot option.

or

2. Fix the problem on the old PC. Uninstall old drivers (like PCI IDE Bus Master etc) with the disk in the old PC and maybe also install new drivers like the Intel chipset INF update and the Jmicron drivers. If so what do I typically have to uninstall and what should I install before then moving the disk.

3. Also read something about doing a fresh install to redetect the new hardware and then a backup/restore operation from the old to the new. Sounded a bit hopeful to me

Please advise!!

Andy

Thanks
    To be honest andy,DO A FRESH INSTALL.It may take some time to re-install all your proggs but if owt goes haywire/wrong it be easier to sort out.If you got a spare hdd ,hook it up to old setup and transfer all your txt,pics and proggs<some proggs may insist on being re-installed>Install ur XP on sata hdd,then hook up ur spare hdd and transfer.

ps go too ur bios and set boot from cd,that find ur dvd

Registered+
    Thanks

Windows repair failed

Well, oldbones, I think you may be right!

I plugged in my IDE DVD ROM drive and it was recognised without any need for the Jmicron driver. So, that meant I could now run Windows Upgrade off the CD and so I did and tried a repair install (not repair using the RC). All seemed to work OK until it got to a part of the installation where it said registering devices or something like that. Part way through that and then blue screen and a new error about executing code in non executable memory and a code x000007c I recall. Tried it a couple of times and same each time.

So Windows repair install was not going to work.

Interestingly, the only spare hard drive I had to try a fresh install was an IDE device and contrary to advice I connected that onto the IDE interface. Both the hard drive and DVD ROM were recognised and I was able to do a fresh install (I did also install the Jmicron driver via F6 anyway).

Andy

Thanks
    Good to hear u have sorted it andy,on my install i got bsod but it rebooted to quick to read the error code .So i tried wot some other peeps did and took 1 stick of memmory out,and then windows installed perfectly .

Registered+
    Thanks

Another approach

As I can move the hard drive between the new (AB9 pro) and the old system, if I can be bothered I may restore my old XP system (now that it has been trashed by trying to do a Windows repair on the new system) and try the other approach of setting all drivers back to Windows generic versions in CP in safe mode and see if that prevents the BSOD. More of an experiment.

That said, I reckon I'll still endure the pain of keeping the re install as there is so much clutter in my current XP system that a sort of enforced spring clean is probably no bad thing. I'd never do it unless I had to but at least this way I can start off with a clean system. It does also force you to only reinstall the stuff that is important enough to find.

Andy

Thread Information