Thread: 775 mb with guru clock?

Registered+
    Thanks

775 mb with guru clock?

Hi all,

Recently upgraded to a E6600 from a socket 939 3500+ and took the cheapo route and bought a ASROCK DUAL-VSTA so I could reuse my ram and AGP card on a temporary basis

My old 939 motherboard was a AV8-3rd Eye with the 1st gen guru clock. After moving to this ASROCK I *really* miss being able to properly control my fanspeed. I was going to get an AB9 but there seems to be a lot of users complaining about them. I have no plans of running SLi or Crossfire, but I would like a motherboard with reasonable overclocking options and potentional

Any thoughts about which board to get? I'm kinda torn at the moment and just can't make my mind up

Thanks
    • gilgamesh's system
      • Motherboard:
      • abit IP35 PRo
      • CPU:
      • 8500 wolfdale
      • Memory:
      • 2x2 gigs (4 gigs) of OCZ REAPER X Ram
      • Storage:
      • 500GIG WD SATA 2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vvikoo 8800GT (1GIG MAX)
      • PSU:
      • Gigabyte ODIN 1200W
      • Case:
      • Mountain MODS U2 UFO CASE original top WATER COOLED TO HELL!!
      • Monitor(s):
      • cibox 22"WD LCD
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteBest View Post
    Hi all,

Recently upgraded to a E6600 from a socket 939 3500+ and took the cheapo route and bought a ASROCK DUAL-VSTA so I could reuse my ram and AGP card on a temporary basis

My old 939 motherboard was a AV8-3rd Eye with the 1st gen guru clock. After moving to this ASROCK I *really* miss being able to properly control my fanspeed. I was going to get an AB9 but there seems to be a lot of users complaining about them. I have no plans of running SLi or Crossfire, but I would like a motherboard with reasonable overclocking options and potentional

Any thoughts about which board to get? I'm kinda torn at the moment and just can't make my mind up
    OK there are a number of routes to go. However ALL of them needs you to upgrade to DDR2 RAM and a PCIE EXPress Graphics card

Fist you could wait for the update of the AB9 Pro called tHe AB9 QUAD GT! You may have to wait a while as they are NOT out in Europe yet, however when they are avaialbel to abit from Tiawan I will do my utmost to help. I will be testing the old AB9 pro and the Quad GT to see exactly what has changed so on that route please watch this space!

You could go for the AW9D max that was my motherboard before I got this IN932 Max. The AW9D MAX is a great motherboard with fantastic overclocking capability however officaily its a ati 'crossfire board only' on an un offical basis abit have actually included a SLI bridge with this motherboard and you cna use hacked drivers to use sli,however this only works upto 7900gt NOT 8800 series as these slots are a x8 only. I am aware you dont need miss-fire or SLi but it needs to be stated anyway.

IN932 MAX Briilliant board worth the price as everyone has forgotten the MAJOR feature of this chipset. UNLINKED mode! This allows you to overclock the CPU VIA THE FSB WITHOUT overclocking the RAM. Yes that means you cna use BUDGET RAM forthis board! fOR EXAMPLE i USED coRSAIR value RAM AND IM HITTING HIGH scores with this on this board. This board is a good overclocker but its price a little higher than the AW9D MAX. This board also has a clear cmos switch at the IO back plate saving you opening the case during a 'bad' overclock so if you are overclocking this would be helpful

My review is with abit at the moment, there were a copuple of comments in the review aboutthis motherboard minor things that needs to be changed. Abit are now lookingf into them, and I will have a review for you soon.

ALL the above boards need DDR2 RAM and a PCIE GPU

cheers

Gilgamesh
    Last edited by gilgamesh; 16-01-2007 at 01:13 PM. Reason: forgot to add something essemntial to advise user
    In the immortal words of Ali-G "Is it cos I is an Overclocker?"

Registered+
    Thanks
    Many thanks gilgamesh, I knew I forgot to mention that I'm fine with upgrading to PCI-e and DDR2. Didn't think I'd be doing it so soon after switching to 775, but like I said I'm really missing the guru clock functionality, speedfan just doesn't cut it compared.

Still looking forward to the review of the IN9-32X, but if retailers are going to charge over £150 it'll be difficult in convincing the missus when the asrock board was only £30. Obviously a lot of difference between the two but try convincing her

Thanks
    • gilgamesh's system
      • Motherboard:
      • abit IP35 PRo
      • CPU:
      • 8500 wolfdale
      • Memory:
      • 2x2 gigs (4 gigs) of OCZ REAPER X Ram
      • Storage:
      • 500GIG WD SATA 2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vvikoo 8800GT (1GIG MAX)
      • PSU:
      • Gigabyte ODIN 1200W
      • Case:
      • Mountain MODS U2 UFO CASE original top WATER COOLED TO HELL!!
      • Monitor(s):
      • cibox 22"WD LCD

this should convince you

Quote Originally Posted by PeteBest View Post
    Many thanks gilgamesh, I knew I forgot to mention that I'm fine with upgrading to PCI-e and DDR2. Didn't think I'd be doing it so soon after switching to 775, but like I said I'm really missing the guru clock functionality, speedfan just doesn't cut it compared.

Still looking forward to the review of the IN9-32X, but if retailers are going to charge over £150 it'll be difficult in convincing the missus when the asrock board was only £30. Obviously a lot of difference between the two but try convincing her
    Pay more for the IN9 32 max the reason is that YOU DONT have to purchase expensive ram to overclock due to the unlinked mode i.e o/c cpu without ocing ram. Therefore you can even use BUDGET ram and achieve high results, therfore saving money. There that will convince the missus, a brief summary
    of the reivew is available on the review thread. Full review will be later then avertised due to BIOS CHANGES. I wish to give a fair and accurate review so the full one will be delayed. Pleasee see the other thread.

Gilgamesh
    In the immortal words of Ali-G "Is it cos I is an Overclocker?"

Thread Information