Thread: motorbikes

Thanks

motorbikes

Im thinking it would be a lot cheaper, more fun, and cheaper and most bikes look good whereas a 12 year old fiesta looks crap...

so got some cheap insurance quotes... £150 comprehensive 0ncb with my speeding fine... for a 125cc. At 600cc it goes upto £450... so still cheaper... than the £550 I payed this year on car (+ tax, mot, speeding fine to add onto insurance etc..)

But I know nothing about bikes. I thought the rules changed for new riders (november last year?) so that there are more tests for each size bike, but from a quick search it seems just direct access is the only.

Planning to do a CBT soon but want to find out about these new rules first... could make it a lot more expensive...

Thanks

Re: motorbikes

I am doing the same thing, need another cbt though mines run out.

More for fun for me.

Thanks
    • Dreaming's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35 Pro
      • CPU:
      • e6300 @ 2.8ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4gb Corsair XMS2 PC6400
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Western Digital for OS + 1500GB Seagate for Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG 8800GTS OC2 320MB
      • PSU:
      • Antec Neo HE 550
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC A05B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Vista Home Premium x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 22" 226BW
      • Internet:
      • NTL 4Mb/s

New rules come in next year I was told by my examiner. It will raise the age of DAS to 23, the 33 bhp restriction to 21, 17 - 20 is 125cc only. But I had heard previously they were going to scrap the DAS and you would need to take a new test everytime you wanted to upgrade - so you pass your first 125cc test, then you do a 33bhp test, then a test for any bike. My instructor told me that was nonsense though... ?

Thanks

It is cheaper, and can certainly be more fun in the right conditions (but I never had to rely on my CBR as my only mode of transport)... The bike cost less than a grand, insurance was £200 (TPFT with no NCB), tax & MoT are F-all, the expense is the outlay for kit (allow £500 for helmet, boots, gloves and a jacket).. and tyres/servicing aren't much cheaper...
    Don't know what the current rules are tbh, I learned over a month taking a few lessons per week which was a good way to do it (it was direct access but not an intense course).. Learning cost a few (3/4) hundred in total (CBT, lessons, theory, test)..
    Good luck!
    http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Thanks

I was thinking more like £250 for helmet/gloves/boots/leathers etc... not an area to cut costs on, but I think £500 is a little OTT, will have a look in a local shop sometime soon and see what prices are like.

few questions though.. can a bike be parked in any normal space? I cant see why not if you pay the fee, but I read that you cant, and will get a ticket at many places even if you do.

engine size - as a learner, I think you can ride any bike if it is resitricted... (or is that after passing, if you are too young to ride above 33bhp?) but how does that work with insurance? if its your own bike, then you would still be paying the extra cost for insurance (more than double) which would make sense just to get a smaller bike first?

Thanks

£250 is really the minimum you want to be looking at for kit. Don't skimp on this area.

Generally speaking, bikes are cheaper to run, cheaper to maintain, cheaper tax/insurance/mot ect.. but do require more love and attention.
    If you cant spend the time on a Sunday adjusting the chain, oiling it up, checking hoses, cleaning it ect, dont buy one. It really isn't a matter of buying one and jumping on it. There is a lot more too it.

You have to be incredibly sensible on the road. If you ride like a dick, you will die. Period.

Put a lot of thought into buying and riding a bike. Are you planning all year round, or just in the summer? Winter really is harsh for bikers, so be prepared for it.
    You will drop it / come off it in your first year. You will probably have to spend money on kit renewal / parts for the bike as this happens. Not kidding yourself and knowing that is one of the steps in becoming good on the road.

Dont buy a bike because its 'fun'. If you go into biking thinking along those lines, you will always be pushing yourself to try and have as much 'fun' as you can. Its not the way to ride.
    About half of the people I know who go into biking give it up within the first year. Go out with friends who have them, read forums on the net, buy magazines / books / papers, just find out as much as you can before getting on one. Its a big investment, and a lot of wasted money if you don't take to it.

I'm not trying to discourage you I promise, but you must stand back and realise what you're letting your self in for. Its impossible to explain how different 2 wheels are to 4 in one post, you'll only realise once you start researching it, talking to people and looking at all the 'small' costs that amount to ones similar to running a car.

Regardless, if you do decide to go that route there are a few of us on here to give a hand
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks

Apart from the grin factor and cheap tax - I don't think riding a bike is much cheaper than driving a car. I've been riding everyday to work on my CBR for the past 3 years (and 3 years on an old GPZ before that). Insurance is very similar, servicing is very similar, parts for DIY service cost more or less the same as cars. Tyres cost more and they don't last as long, but theres only 2 of 'em

As for the price of kit - you can spend over £300 on a decent helmet alone, so I think your budget of £250 for everything is a little thin. Remember this is the stuff that keeps all your bits intact in the event of an accident, so skimping on it is not recommended. Here's what I think you could spend:

Helmet - £150 minimum - do not buy a chinese helmet - go for a well known manufacturer and ALWAYS try them on before you buy to ensure a good fit. NEVER buy a 2nd hand helmet....
    Leathers / Jacket & Trousers - £200 minimum - make sure it has CE approved armour on the knees, shoulders, elbows and back and ideally hips.
    Gloves - £30 upwards - Get a pair that feel comforatble with a good level of protection. Instinct in a fall will be to put your hands down first so wearing thin/mesh gloves is NOT a good idea....
    Boots - £100 upwards - Need to comfy, flexible and hard wearing, and have good protection for the ankle, heel and shin. I have spent less on boots in the past and it is a false economy - they lasted less than 6 months...

Other essential items:

Bike security - you will want to lock it up or alarm it when you park. £30 upwards
    Luggage - if you are using it for your main mode of transport or going anywhere on a longer trip - you'll need something to store your gear in - £30 for a decent tank bag up to £200 for a full soft luggage set.

I think that realistically covers what would give you the best price/protection balance. Check out reputable places like Hein Gerricke or your local bike clothing dealer. Buying from places like ebay is not recommended as the gear may be inferior quality or used.

Good Luck!

1 wheel > 2 wheels > 4 wheels | My Photos

8. Received thanks from:

SilentDeath (29-08-2007)

Thread Information