Thread: Window Tints - New Legislation Planned

Thanks

Window Tints - New Legislation Planned

Saw this on another forum, looks like it will soon be illegal to have any level of tint in advance of the B pillars (front doors)...

Window Tinting - Amendments to legislation

During the early part of 2004, Section 32 of the Road Vehicles (Construction & Use) Regulations will be amended to include “Window Tint Films” where such materials attached to the glass are capable of reducing the visible light transmission of forward windows to below prescribed levels (70% VLT for front side windows). These changes will be back-dated to become applicable from 1st January 2004.

This will effectively ban the practice in future of applying virtually any tinted films to windows forward of the B-Post on any vehicle that is to be driven on UK roads.

The reasons for these changes is the recent proliferation of vehicles that are excessively tinted. Some vehicles may be so heavily tinted that they present a real danger when used on public roads. The action being taken by the Government follows a fatality that occurred recently where a heavily tinted car was involved in a collision with a motorcycle and the window tints were held to blame due to the vision of the driver being impaired.

There is, however, a recognized difference between “light window tints” which may be considered safe for road use and “excessively dark window tints” which are not.

There has also been a great deal of debate in recent years about the legitimacy of window tints that do not obscure the vision of the driver. A clear case has been argued that road-safe window tints do not actually conflict with existing regulations. The Department of Transport have argued however, that Section 32 was always intended to cover materials attached to the glass, despite the fact that no mention of this is made in the Regulation itself. The only solution remaining would be to amend the Legislation.

Consequently and in order to clarify the solution the Government have finally decided to up-date the Regulations to specifically include Tinted Films since, in the view of the Police and the Department of Transport, this is the only way in which the problems of excessive tints can be remedied.

Unfortunately however, even tint films that maybe considered to be safe for road use will now be viewed as in conflict with the Regulations, enabling the Police and Vehicle Inspectorate to take action against vehicle owners.

This has significant implications for the owners of vehicles that have window tints and also those that are responsible for installing or selling window tints.

Implications for the Installer and Motor Retailer.

From when the amendments to Section 32 come into force, any Motor Retailer that sells a vehicle that has window tint films applied which reduce visible light transmission levels to below prescribed levels forward of the B-Post is committing an offence and runs the risk of prosecution under Section 75 of the 1988 Road Traffic Act with reference to Section 41 (which defers to Construction and Use Regulations).

In a similar way, anyone responsible for the fitment of window tints which reduce visible light transmission level to below prescribed levels on windows forward of the B-Post is committing an offence and can also be prosecuted under Section 76 of the 1988 Road Traffic Act.

Implications for the vehicle owner.

After much discussion, a sympathetic Enforcement Policy has been agreed between the Department of Transport and The Glass and Glazing Federation to ensure that all vehicle owners that have had tints applied in the past may be dealt with fairly. This applies in particular where the infringement is with respect to tints that do not pose a significant threat to Road Safety, despite being in contravention with the amended Regulations.

In any event, after the date of the amendment to Section 32, the owner of the vehicle that has window tints applied forward of the B-Post is liable to be challenged by either a Police Officer or by an Inspector from the Department of Transport Vehicle Inspectorate, where their vehicle is noticed being driven on Public Roads.

Where such a vehicle is stopped and the window tints applied are such that the visible light transmission level, when measured using an appropriate device, falls to below prescribed levels, the following enforcement guidelines have been agreed with and recommended by the Government.

Above 30% Visible Light Transmission (Less Severe Window Tints)

The owner or driver of such a vehicle will be required to have the tinted film removed from the windows under the direction of either a Rectification Notice or a Delayed Prohibition Notice, A period of grace will apply for a limited number of days (normally ten) during which time the vehicle may be driven whilst the rectification work is to be completed. In either case, the vehicle will need to be inspected by either a Police Officer or Vehicle Inspectorate Officer to confirm that the glass has been restored to a compliant condition. Prosecution is unlikely in such circumstances provided the vehicle owner complies fully.

Below 30% Visible Light Transmission (Excessively dark Window Tints)

The owner or driver of such a vehicle may be issued with an Immediate Prohibition Notice and immediately prevented from driving the vehicle on public roads until the tints have been removed and either a Police Officer or Vehicle Inspectorate Officer confirms that the glass has been restored to a compliant condition. It is also possible, depending on the severity of the offence, that the owner may be prosecuted for driving a vehicle in a non-roadworthy or even a dangerous condition with the potential for Penalty Points and a Fine.

Driving such a vehicle on public roads before the tints have been removed and before a Prohibition Notice has been lifted will be a serious offence and the owner or driver is likely to be prosecuted.

Action that needs to be taken by the Window Tint Installer and Motor Retailer

Restrictions - From the beginning of 2004, all customers of a Window Tint Installer or a Motor Retailer that enquire about window tinting should be informed about the new Regulations. It will be unlawful to sell them a vehicle that has tints applied toward of the B-Post and may render the Tinter or Retailer liable to prosecution. The vehicle may also be deemed to be in a Non-Roadworthy condition leaving the owner liable to prosecution as well.

The owner of a vehicle that is in a non-roadworthy condition may find that they void their Insurance Cover if they continue to drive it on public roads. In the event of an accident, the Insurance Company may refuse to pay part or all of their claim.

Rectification - All Window Tint Installers and Motor Retailers that have supplied window tints toward of the B-Post are being asked by the Government and the Glass and Glazing Federation to contact all of their previous customers wherever possible, to inform them of the changes to Legislation and to offer them a chance to have their vehicle returned to have the front tints removed.

This is most important since this will give every customer a chance to become informed about the amendments to the Regulations whilst being able to change their vehicle into a compliant condition before they may be challenged in the future by a Policeman or an officer from the Vehicle Inspectorate.

Clear Security Films

Clear Security Films that only marginally reduce Visible Light Transmission levels on windows forward of the B-Post may be considered to be compliant with the amended Regulations subject to the quality of the fitment being to a standard that does not result in the vision of the driver being obscured in any way.

Glass & Glazing Federation
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mock Turtle
    “Reeling and Writhing, of course, to begin with, and then the different branches of arithmetic -- Ambition, Distraction, Uglification, and Derision."
    System:Atari 2600 CPU:8-bit 6507 (1.19MHz) RAM:128 bytes Colours: 16 (4 on screen) Resolution: 192x160

www.5lab.co.uk
    Thanks
    there are window tints that stop > 70% of light getting thru? you surely cant see buggerall at night with that lot..
    hughlunnon@yahoo.com | I have sigs turned off..

Thanks
    I've heard of police pulling some cars with tints stopping about 85% of light. There is no way anybody could see through them, totally stupid imo unless they are behind the B post and will nto cause interferance. I think rear windows tints should be illegal too.

www.5lab.co.uk
    Thanks
    gobbo - the reason they arnt is that there is no legal requirement to have a rear window - i mean if you are towing something, or have something on the back of your car (ie a bike) or even simply have a full car/van then the chances are you cant use the rear windows, so it'd be a daft idea to say 'if you have a rear window it must be this clear' - people would probably start just taking them out and replaceing them with metal...
    hughlunnon@yahoo.com | I have sigs turned off..

Thanks
    • Butuz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z77 MPOWER
      • CPU:
      • I7 3770K @ 4.6
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair XMS 1866
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3xR9 290
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10
      • Case:
      • Inwin H Frame
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
    Ive seen numpty's with front windows tinted so much i couldnt see into them in the daytime!! I bet they cant see out.

This is good news.

Butuz

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Butuz
    Ive seen numpty's with front windows tinted so much i couldnt see into them in the daytime!! I bet they cant see out.

This is good news.

Butuz
    Yup - agreed.

Plus its impossible to ID car thieves joyriders etc.

Oh no!I've re-dorkalated! Jiff Lemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    Interesting read but........

How the heck are the police going to test the % of tint in your glass?

And how long before some smart a**ed company sells replacement tinted glass - i.e. Glass that hasn't had a film applied to it?

Thanks
    I think they have some sort of light ometer they use. Basically they apply a light of a set strength on one side of the glass and test how strong it is on the other side, therefore giving the % of light blocked.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiff Lemon
    Interesting read but........

How the heck are the police going to test the % of tint in your glass?

And how long before some smart a**ed company sells replacement tinted glass - i.e. Glass that hasn't had a film applied to it?
    Still illegal - The vehicle would fail an MOT on it straight away. I have a doc at work with this full revised legislation listed in it. I'll mail it home and post it up tommorow. ( I work for Autoglass BTW)
    <<Waiting for the next century>>

Thanks
    • DeludedGuy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte H87M-HD3
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 4440
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 1800mhz
      • Storage:
      • 250GB Samsung 840 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte R9 270 OC 2GB
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet Pure Power L8 600w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Dell U2414H
      • Internet:
      • 75Mb BT Infinity
    NOOOOOOO!!!!! Ive always wanted to own a a Red Toyota Supra with Black tinted windows! This is bullox! I will move country!

Oh no!I've re-dorkalated! Jiff Lemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Vicious
    Still illegal - The vehicle would fail an MOT on it straight away. I have a doc at work with this full revised legislation listed in it. I'll mail it home and post it up tommorow. ( I work for Autoglass BTW)
    You sure they gonna make it part of the MOT?

At the moment there are a LOT of things that would fail construction and use laws, but would sail through an MOT.

Thanks
    so does the legislation mean that i can still have front tints aslong as they are not darker than 75% of the light blocked?

thanks
    rhino_of_stockton

Sexiest Hexus user? quite possibly Russ's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Russ's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Apple Logic Board
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 2.8GHZ 8MB Cache
      • Memory:
      • 2x2GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 5750
      • Case:
      • iMac
      • Operating System:
      • Mac OS X Snow Leopard
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" iMac
      • Internet:
      • 2mb(on a good day)
    i feel this is a load of bull. been nocking around ages this romour.
    Gamertag - Russonf (xbox and ps3)

Thanks
    Another olde thread doth return...

Sublime HEXUS.net
    Thanks
    • Stoo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • 2*Xeon 5450 @ 2.8GHz, 12MB Cache
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 1600MHz FBDIMM
      • Storage:
      • ~ 2.5TB + 4TB external array
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 4870
      • Case:
      • Mac Pro
      • Operating System:
      • OS X 10.7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Samsung 244T Black
      • Internet:
      • Zen Max Pro
    Look at the Posted date of the thread, look at today's date..

Nuff said..
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thread Information