Thread: GPS Opinions

Thanks

GPS Opinions

I'm looking for a middle of the range GPS to buy. I've heard good things about the Garmins, and am thinking of getting the nuvi 660, but I'd like some thoughts on it before I do.

I've read a few reviews on it (see this VERY in depth one here for example), but there are 2 points that keep cropping up:

1. Real-Time Traffic Data - How good is it, and does the cigarette lighter thing have to be plugged in for it to work (as far as I know it does).
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.gpsmagazine.com/2006/10/garmin_nuvi_660_indepth_review.php?page=2
    This is the included GTM 20, FM TMC traffic receiver - the U.S. version of the cigarette lighter power adapter with integrated FM traffic receiver. The European version ships with a lower profile adapter, although the European version also requires an additional antenna wire, so I actually prefer the U.S. adapter.
    They say an addition wire is required for the european traffic receiver, but they don't say where it goes? Does anyone have anymore info? From the (US) reviews I've read, this service is free - is that still correct in the UK too?

2. The lack of a route exclusion feature - is this a big problem? I'm guessing it's not, but sometimes you don't actually know until you use the thing.

Let me know what you think, or if there's anything else you'd recommend for a similar price point or less (£150ish).

EDIT:
    Also, I've been reading that there's not as much info on the screen on some of the Garmins compared to the tomtoms. Is this customisable in anyway, or will I be stuck without a distance to destination stat on the same screen as the map?
    Last edited by ajbrun; 28-09-2008 at 02:01 AM.

Thread Information