Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Track car

Thanks

Track car

Thinking along the lines of a stripped-out MX-5. They can be picked up for less than a grand, and for a few hundered quid (plus some lightening) I reckon you'd have a pretty decent (road legal) tracker... cheaper than a 7/Westy, but more fun than a 205/CRX. Possibly.

Then spend a day every (summer) month tracking it, and all of a sudden it doesn't seem like an overly expensive hobby... cheaper than club racing, for sure.

Anyone have any advice/experiences??
    http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Thanks

Re: Track car

Cheaper than club racing, but nothing like the same buzz.
    Simon

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

I think it's a great idea... cos you can smoke it around in the rain too

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shad View Post
    Cheaper than club racing, but nothing like the same buzz.
    Are you still Tin Topping? Couldn't find any recent news on your site (still have the CRX as well?).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by J4MES View Post
    Are you still Tin Topping? Couldn't find any recent news on your site (still have the CRX as well?).
    Not at the moment unfortunately, due to, yes you guessed it... cost

I should really update my site, it's been a year since I sold my CRX and bought the Caterham. I've not even done a track day since April. I've been giving tuition though and I've been lucky to get a lot of enjoyment from the 7 on the road. Back at Brands in December searching for a 55 second lap

Anyway, while an MX5 will be a great track car, don't be so quick to rule out FWD. Things like 205s and CRXs are great fun and have weight on their site from the outset. Whatever you decide on, weight, brakes and suspension setup are the most important things to think about.

People will tell you that standard brakes will cope if you use decent pads. I would strongly argue that you need track orientated calipers (and pads) to fully enjoy the car. They are designed for the immense heat that's generated and you'll be able to punish them lap after lap without any side effects. The right brake fluid is important too - Castrol, Brembo and others all make very good high-temp fluids which make a big difference.

Suspension is the next thing to get right, but you probably won't get it right to start with - it took me a year of track days to get my CRX to a competitive setup that I was happy with. You may also find you need to adjust your driving style with a FWD car. The fastest setup is one with a stiff rear to allow you to drive the car almost entirely on the throttle through a corner. Once you realise that it's simply a matter of more throttle and steering input to get out of trouble, and less throttle to coax the nose in and the tail around, you can have a lot of fun. That's one of the big advantages of FWD particularly in the wet. Because you're better able to keep the back end in check it means it's easier to go faster - I was running rings around Exiges and Caterfields in the damp at Silverstone with the CRX because they couldn't afford to get on the power early and slide all over the place.

Shedding weight obviously will make you go faster and make the car more responsive. Whatever you buy, gut it. Every nut, bolt, bracket, piece of trim etc. etc. that you don't need (that doesn't compromise safety), get rid. You don't need 200-300-400hp when your car is a featherweight, which is great for saving money when you start out.

Once you've done a day on track with the car, get it flat-floored. This is basically sitting the car on corner weight scales and adjusting the ride hight at each corner to move the weight balance around. Best done with a sensible fuel load and driver in place, you will be amazed at the difference it makes to the composure and predictability of the car (I kid you not). It's also a good time to try playing with the geometry, so try and get bits and pieces that allow you to change camber and caster when you're sorting out the suspension. Experimentation with geometry is a pretty good way to appreciate how a car handles and how everything works together.

I guess the other big tip is to get tuition. Doesn't matter how good you think you are, you can always learn something. Being smooth, getting the lines right, learning to be brave with the brakes and entry speeds, and using all the road - important stuff that sounds obvious now, but putting it all together takes practise and patience.

Anyway, hope that's helpful
    Simon

6. Received thanks from:

J4MES (28-10-2008),Zak33 (29-10-2008)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shad View Post

Anyway, hope that's helpful
    More than - thanks. I think I'd have to pay more to get a half-decent 205 or CRX, otherwise I'd consider FWD - but I'm a bit of a drift-junkie (even had to have a rwd family wagon...)

Thanks

I can sympathise, it's extremely addictive
    Simon

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Pug 205 Gti 1.6 is the logical choice, but dont ignore Nova GTE/GSi

Simply look at the volume of stuff available for them.

"The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |

Thanks

Might I add if you do end up looking at a Nova a GTE/GSi might not be the way to go, decent ones still fetch decent money (for what they are anyway) you might be better off finding a Merit spec one as they have less "toys" (if your gonna track it how much of the interior are you gonna take out.) on them so are generally less expensive, weigh less and are more likely to be owned and looked after by old dears so you could pick one up for a few hundred quid, add to that ~£300 for an XE, another few hundred for suspension, brakes from elsewhere in the Vauxhall lineup and bobs your uncle, track car for around a grand...

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

the reaon I suggest a Nova is JUST that it has a good residual and should then sell if he gets bored

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zak33 View Post
    the reaon I suggest a Nova is JUST that it has a good residual and should then sell if he gets bored
    Bored:
    of scooting round a track? nope
    in a Nova? - eventually but there's loads to learn so even that'll take a while

A question though:

For one thinking having a dedicated track car and probably pursuing the improvements Shad has already suggested you'll need a cage as well?
    With stiffer suspension and eventually stickier tyres roll-resistance will go up but a roll is more likely.

When you factor in the cost of a cage wouldn't something like an MX5 be just a cheap as the cage is so small?

I'm not suggesting the Nova is a bad idea - far from it I reckon it would be ideal - just a ponder really.
    Vimeous : i7 7700K | 16Gb | ASUS Strix Z270G | GTX1080 | 960 EVO 500GB NVMe | 850 EVO 500GB | TX650W | NZXT S340 Elite | Dell U2713H + 17" | 10 Pro
    Willowin : i7 3570K | 16Gb | ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe | GTX 660 TI | 2x 1TB 840EVO | Sugo SG05BB-450 | Dell U2713H + 17" | 8.1 Pro
    Svr : X2 4200+ | 2Gb | ASUS A8N-SLI Premium | HD6870 | SonicFury | 8x 250Gb (2x RAID10) | 3Ware 9650SE-8LPML | Seasonic 700W | CM Stacker 830 | XP Pro
    NAS : DS1511+ | DX513
    W : Dell Precision T3610 | E5-1650 V2 | 16GB | Quadro K2000 | 256GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 8.1 Pro | 2x Dell U2515H

Thanks

Prelude H22 vtec.. Cheap as chips for what they are. Nice 4ws aswell.

Take a look at this monster

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9-Dm-tvAXYM

Thanks

Annoyingly, I had a cage for a '5 which I got rid of when I sold my last (third) one - and there's not much to it. Nova's a great suggestion - I had a 1.2 Merit once, sweet handling little car that was on nice skinny rims... fond memories

edit: lots of cheap Novas on t'bay...
    Last edited by J4MES; 29-10-2008 at 11:28 PM.

Thanks

Thanks

Awwwww just look at the itty bitty wee engine, bless its little cotton socks

But seriously... what power to weight is that going to be without swapping the engine out? I would say anything less than 150-160hp/tn isn't going to be much fun. I know the fun is in the corners but if it means you have the whole field go past you on the straight bits...
    Simon

Thanks

Good start that Nova, added it to my own watch list

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information