• Lian Li PC-A05FNB + Acoustipack
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x Dell S2309W (1920x1080)
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity Option 2

Civic 5Dr Sport vs TypeS - A quick comparison

As a few of you may know, my current car is a Civic Sport, 5Dr, 2.2 CDTi on an 06 plate. This is my car, and I still can't help but raise a smile when I look at her:

Well whilst it is in for a bit of work, I have the pleasure of the following:

Now when I originally looked at the cars available within budget, I was mightily torn. Honda was one, no two of the options. The first was the 5Dr, in the 2.2, whilst the second was the TypeS in the 1.8 – budget didn’t stretch to the 2.2 in the TypeS unfortunately. I drove them both, and decided I liked the diesel so much I wanted it regardless of the body it was encompassed within – so I chose a rather nice, average mileage 06 plate Vivid Blue Sport. Looks good – nice paint, HIDs, front fogs, optional rear spoiler – and most importantly goes well.

I’ve had that coming up for 7 months now, so I feel I’ve got a reasonably wide range of situations from which to draw my conclusions, and offer a bit of an insight into the differences between the two models. Well, I’ll start with what is the same….engine…check….badge….check….err….about it between the 2.2 Sport and the 2.2 TypeS. Previously having written them off as simply the 3dr version of the 5dr, it came a bit of a shock when I got in this one. (Yes, I did drive it – but when was the last time you focused on the details on a test drive – I try to get a sense of the car without crashing it usually!).

The first thing I noticed was how different externally it looks. Whilst it shares wing mirrors, lights, paint colours etc, it looks a completely different beast. The 5dr whilst doing a passable enough impression of the 3dr to confuse my mates post pub (trust me, they couldn’t find the rear doors!) it is still a longer car, and looks slightly less aggressive as a result. Don’t get me wrong, Honda have done a fantastic job with the five door, but they got it spot on with the TypeS/R.

Getting inside, the first thing I notice is how long the doors are. Look lovely, but I can’t help but feel they might be a bit of a pain in tight car park spaces, oh, and of course, with me being as short as a two foot pole, I have to reach behind me for the seatbelt. Oh, and I’m reminded I’m a shortarse because of how close to the front I feel in comparison to the 5dr. The interior – dash wise – is identical. It works, I’ve been lucky to avoid most of the creaks, and it looks different to your average rep mobile – all good things in my book, and that glass roof is genius. Odd at first, having a cabin so flooded with light, but what a difference it makes – the Civic feels bigger inside, more spacious and less compact. However where the TypeS comes into its own is the seats. Soooo much better than even the Sport: supportive where you need it but comfortable too for longer journeys. Haven’t sat in the back – something I equally haven’t done in the Sport, so no idea on that part, heh.

So the drive?

I expected it to be same as the 5dr, competent, but ultimately underwhelming through the corners. I like it, safe handling, put a smile on my face, but lacked the manic grin I had when I drove the Alfa Mito recently, when I used to ride the bike for pleasure (i.e. when it wasn’t raining ). Well, I actually started smiling driving the TypeS down the Norfolk backroads. It was soo much more eager to go through the bends, it was more composed over the bumpy stuff, and I found bends flowing together again. I actually enjoyed a road I’ve driven numerous times in all weathers, simply with a change of chassis. It was enthralling, enchanting, enjoyable, and I didn’t want to stop.

The CTS GT I've got, on one of Norfolk's fine backroads:

So did I make the right choice?

Well here is the issue. I feel the Civic TypeS is made by the 2.2. It isn’t some TypeR wannabe, down on power and down on sound, it is a 50mpg cruiser one moment, and a fun, entertaining, exciting (ish – never going to be up there with a TVR, Porsche or M division BMW) car the next. It has a good looking exterior, with a decent, well thought out interior. Ok, the stereo sucks like every other standard Civic item, but I’m sure that could be fixed with a little time and effort. Oh, and if extra performance is your aim – a remap makes that pretty simple

But would it be the right car for me? No. As I said above, the 2.2 makes the car for me personally, and at the time I decided I wanted a car, it wasn’t an available option financially. Would I, with hindsight, have waited a couple of months and gone for a TypeS? Maybe, but if I’d done so, I’d probably still be looking. Do I regret owning the Sport I’ve got now? It may sound mad, but no. In my heart of hearts, I know the TypeS is the more composed car, but for me, the Sport is the one to have. The old saying is that you’ll never notice something is missing until you don’t have it and need it, well I can see that with the TypeS. Various past events, weekends away and upcoming holidays were/are going to be made infinitely easier with the rear doors, and don’t get me started on the magic seats – whoever came up with that remarkably simple idea needs a payrise tbh. Is it any less comfortable on long runs? Not as far as I can discern, though I still think the Civic suspension is the poor side of crude, and the standard tolerances for wheel alignment woeful, but there are ways and means of dealing with that. If you want the ultimate driving machine, spend £10k more and get a 320d. Or better yet, put the 10k in the bank and get something with a petrol growl – e46 330i, what a car.

The TypeS is a fantastic car, but so is the Sport. Cheaper spec for spec, more practical, but ultimately, the better compromise for me personally.

So there, I said it. I like the Sport more than the Type S. Whoda thunk it?

2. Received thanks from:

Zak33 (14-04-2009)

Thanks
    • MadduckUK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 1x480GB SSD, 1x 2TB Hybrid, 1x 3TB Rust Spinner
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon 5700XT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX750w
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Evolv mATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SJ55W, DELL S2409W
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet 80

Re: Civic 5Dr Sport vs TypeS - A quick comparison

sorry its too late for this and i can only manage the first few word

what the hell are talking about, i prefer the look of your diesel tbh, that is an appallingly ugly car,
    Quote Originally Posted by Ephesians
    Do not be drunk with wine, which will ruin you, but be filled with the Spirit
    Vodka

Thanks
    • dave87's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus
      • CPU:
      • i5 3470k under Corsair H80 WC
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 240gb SSD + 120gb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus HD7950
      • PSU:
      • XFX 600w Modular
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity Option 2

Heh, was originally aimed at the guys on Civinfo, but thought it might be of interest over here too.

I got the chance to drive two different versions of the same car - which I'd previously, and quite wrongly - written off as basically the same.

Someone on the other forum happened to ask which I preferred, so in a Saracen-esque style I prepared the above

Thanks
    • MadduckUK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 1x480GB SSD, 1x 2TB Hybrid, 1x 3TB Rust Spinner
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon 5700XT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX750w
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Evolv mATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SJ55W, DELL S2409W
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet 80

its a squashed dead darth vader helmet out of the two i would pick your blue diesel because all the other does is exacerbate the problems in the styling.

stop being such a toff and just get a bloody EP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ephesians
    Do not be drunk with wine, which will ruin you, but be filled with the Spirit
    Vodka

Thanks
    • Butuz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z77 MPOWER
      • CPU:
      • I7 3770K @ 4.6
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair XMS 1866
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3xR9 290
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10
      • Case:
      • Inwin H Frame
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7

Nice review

Butuz

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dave87 View Post
    The CTS GT I've got, on one of Norfolk's fine backroads:
    Backroad? You can get two cars down that at the same time!

Thanks
    • joshwa's system
      • Motherboard:
      • PC Chips M577 AT/ATX
      • CPU:
      • AMD K6-2 500Mhz
      • Memory:
      • 128mb PC100 SDRAM
      • Storage:
      • 8GB Fujitsu
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3dfx Voodoo 3 3000 AGP (16mb)
      • PSU:
      • ATX 500watt
      • Case:
      • Midi Tower AT
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 98 SE
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" TFT Widescreen

It's quite suprising - they are the same car - but the Type S looks like a completely different beast - I think it looks awesome so much so that I photoshopped it a bit for you (just messing with levels, contrast, saturation, lighting effect etc)

9. Received thanks from:

dave87 (11-04-2009)

Thanks
    • dave87's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 240gb SSD + 120gb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus HD7950
      • PSU:
      • XFX 600w Modular
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity Option 2

Now that I like.

Cheers Josh, I'm an utter noobie when it comes to Photoshop

Thanks

An interesting read Dave, I always fascinating by other peoples experiences, especially when it's a car I've done thousands of miles in myself!

I'm going to see if I can borrow a Type-S from one of our managers as I've only driven our 5dr's so far. I want to see if you're right about the handling - hopefully it will have reduced on-limit understeer. On the 5dr it's largely dictated by the tyres, the Michelin's and Bridgestones behave slightly differently.

I really like the blue of your car. The Type-S sometimes looks under-wheeled as the extra body-kit amplifies the black wheel surrounds making the alloys look smaller than they are.
    Generally the 5dr looks less heavy without the body kit (although improved with mudguards) and the Type-S, well I for one am happy with the Darth Vader comparison!
    'You have got in my way for the last time Madduck'

Oh one minor correction.
    Both cars are the same size.
    From what you've said it amazes me how well some trim, seats, a bodykit and 10mm of suspension can be used to influence the perception of what is essentially two similar cars.
    Mostly though it's the trailing edge of the door that makes the 3dr look shorter
    Vimeous : i7 7700K | 16Gb | ASUS Strix Z270G | GTX1080 | 960 EVO 500GB NVMe | 850 EVO 500GB | TX650W | NZXT S340 Elite | Dell U2713H + 17" | 10 Pro
    Willowin : i7 3570K | 16Gb | ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe | GTX 660 TI | 2x 1TB 840EVO | Sugo SG05BB-450 | Dell U2713H + 17" | 8.1 Pro
    Svr : X2 4200+ | 2Gb | ASUS A8N-SLI Premium | HD6870 | SonicFury | 8x 250Gb (2x RAID10) | 3Ware 9650SE-8LPML | Seasonic 700W | CM Stacker 830 | XP Pro
    NAS : DS1511+ | DX513
    W : Dell Precision T3610 | E5-1650 V2 | 16GB | Quadro K2000 | 256GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 8.1 Pro | 2x Dell U2515H

Thanks
    • dave87's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 240gb SSD + 120gb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus HD7950
      • PSU:
      • XFX 600w Modular
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity Option 2

Quote Originally Posted by Vimeous View Post
    An interesting read Dave, I always fascinating by other peoples experiences, especially when it's a car I've done thousands of miles in myself!
    I did wonder when you'd appear

I'm going to see if I can borrow a Type-S from one of our managers as I've only driven our 5dr's so far. I want to see if you're right about the handling - hopefully it will have reduced on-limit understeer. On the 5dr it's largely dictated by the tyres, the Michelin's and Bridgestones behave slightly differently.
    The Sport I have been driving for the last 7 months (since end of August last year) had Kumho Ecsta KU31s on the front (dealership supplied) and Michelin Pilot Sports on the rear. My opinion of the Kumhos is that whilst they are a competent tyre, I'm guessing they are not as good as the likes of Goodyear, Michelin and Bridgestone as fitted to the Civics. I've just had some Eagle F1 Asymmetrics fitted to the front, but how do the Michelin and Bridgestones fare?

I really like the blue of your car. The Type-S sometimes looks under-wheeled as the extra body-kit amplifies the black wheel surrounds making the alloys look smaller than they are.
    I personally think Vivid Blue Pearlescent paint was the choice to have on the Civic, and I can't understand why Honda dropped it. It makes you stand out from the sea of unwashed Golfs, Focii etc that are the backbone of the rep fleet, without going into mega money BMW or Mercedes. The only comment I can make on the wheels is that I personally feel the rear wheels could do with some spacers, but apart from that, they look good. I quite like the TypeS wheels, though I think I'd have some of the Altimos if it wasn't for their propensity for flaking paint

Generally the 5dr looks less heavy without the body kit (although improved with mudguards) and the Type-S, well I for one am happy with the Darth Vader comparison!
    'You have got in my way for the last time Madduck'
    Yarp, I didn't really notice what a difference the bodykit makes to the car until I had one for a couple of days, really sharpens things up. The Darth Vader comments are utterly true when it is in black, though I have a softspot for the Tangerine Orange (would never buy one though, too much of a rogering come sale time)

Oh one minor correction.
    Both cars are the same size.
    Are they really? I used a fellow Civinfo forum members TypeS as a guide when reversing my car, and put it straight into a hedge. Always thought they were much shorter?

From what you've said it amazes me how well some trim, seats, a bodykit and 10mm of suspension can be used to influence the perception of what is essentially two similar cars.
    Mostly though it's the trailing edge of the door that makes the 3dr look shorter
    I think you are right, though a lot of the dynamic changes are due to that 10mm drop and the stiffer chassis. Seems to make a massive difference

Thanks
    • dave87's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 240gb SSD + 120gb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus HD7950
      • PSU:
      • XFX 600w Modular
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity Option 2

Well those of you that read above, know I've got a different car for a week.

So, as it arrived:

Not too bad until you get close:

So I thought I'd give it a quick wash. Nothing special, no waxes, but a decent clean with Autoglym stuff. Here are the results:

And ten points to whoever can guess where these reflection shots were taken:

And the last one, a little more obvious:

This is one area I think that the car looks better dirty than clean: Gunmetal > Silver!

Ah well, hope you enjoy. Orange peel in the paintwork is a little annoying though...

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Quote Originally Posted by dave87 View Post
    Ah well, hope you enjoy. Orange peel in the paintwork is a little annoying though...
    lots of new cars have that recently.

Mazda and Merc being exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks

Tyres wise I reckon the Bridgestones gave more give than the Michelins but were less progressive and more prone to squeal.
    Regardless it still sticks in fast bends better than I thought a non-sport car could. In fact it's the single greatest improvement to the car since my MB6.

My expectation from other cars would be the F1's are better allround.

Would I be right in assuming the Altimo's are the lovely 18"er's? First time I saw them was on a 5dr in the dirty-gold colour with mudflaps and it looked perfect. Far more visually arresting than many hatches out there.
    Didn't know about the paint issues - bloomin shame!

Also lovin the Tangerine but the Type-S front valance suits black better IMO.
    TBH after having a red MB6 the colour's really grown on me so I guess it'd be that or black for me!

BTW I'll triple check the length tomorrow with our Engineers as we do a substantial proportion of the body-in-white. When the project first started it was one of the more eye-opening aspects as the previous gen had been so significantly different in wheelbase.

Most importantly I'm glad you're still enjoying the car despite your past issues. At some point I might join you in once-again owning something to take pride in and most of all call my own!
    Vimeous : i7 7700K | 16Gb | ASUS Strix Z270G | GTX1080 | 960 EVO 500GB NVMe | 850 EVO 500GB | TX650W | NZXT S340 Elite | Dell U2713H + 17" | 10 Pro
    Willowin : i7 3570K | 16Gb | ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe | GTX 660 TI | 2x 1TB 840EVO | Sugo SG05BB-450 | Dell U2713H + 17" | 8.1 Pro
    Svr : X2 4200+ | 2Gb | ASUS A8N-SLI Premium | HD6870 | SonicFury | 8x 250Gb (2x RAID10) | 3Ware 9650SE-8LPML | Seasonic 700W | CM Stacker 830 | XP Pro
    NAS : DS1511+ | DX513
    W : Dell Precision T3610 | E5-1650 V2 | 16GB | Quadro K2000 | 256GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 8.1 Pro | 2x Dell U2515H

Thanks

Does the S have the "1 lever" folding rear seat mechanism from the 5 door?

How did you find the practicaility of the 3 dr compared to the 5?

Thanks
    • dave87's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 240gb SSD + 120gb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus HD7950
      • PSU:
      • XFX 600w Modular
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity Option 2

Tyres wise I reckon the Bridgestones gave more give than the Michelins but were less progressive and more prone to squeal.
    Regardless it still sticks in fast bends better than I thought a non-sport car could. In fact it's the single greatest improvement to the car since my MB6.

My expectation from other cars would be the F1's are better allround.
    That is good to hear - I had been worried they'd be a step up from the Kumhos but a step down from the Pilot Sports.

Would I be right in assuming the Altimo's are the lovely 18"er's? First time I saw them was on a 5dr in the dirty-gold colour with mudflaps and it looked perfect. Far more visually arresting than many hatches out there.

Yup, the rather nice 18s, look amazing on the Tangerine Orange, not sure how they'd look on the Vivid Blue, but my hope would be rather good.

Didn't know about the paint issues - bloomin shame!
    Seems to be more pronounced on some colours versus others, though it appears to be in the pigment layer rather than the lacquer - so is only masked by polishing/detailing.

Also lovin the Tangerine but the Type-S front valance suits black better IMO.
    TBH after having a red MB6 the colour's really grown on me so I guess it'd be that or black for me!
    I'm torn, I quite like the new dark blue they released, Royal Blue? or whichever they have called it for 2009, but thankfully I got hold of a Vivid Blue

BTW I'll triple check the length tomorrow with our Engineers as we do a substantial proportion of the body-in-white. When the project first started it was one of the more eye-opening aspects as the previous gen had been so significantly different in wheelbase.

Most importantly I'm glad you're still enjoying the car despite your past issues. At some point I might join you in once-again owning something to take pride in and most of all call my own!
    If you could that would be brilliant - would be interesting to see what (if any) difference there is between the two - I've had conflicting answers from my thoughts of the TypeS/R being shorter, to your thoughts they are the same, and to someone else who said the TypeS/R is actually longer! Has no one got a tape measure?!?!

It is nice having your own car - no finance company to upset, no mileage allowance or tax rules to remember, but it is expensive

Thanks
    • dave87's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 240gb SSD + 120gb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus HD7950
      • PSU:
      • XFX 600w Modular
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity Option 2

Quote Originally Posted by GavinS View Post
    Does the S have the "1 lever" folding rear seat mechanism from the 5 door?
    It does, yes. Quite handy rather than having to flip the seat base up first..

Quote Originally Posted by GavinS View Post
    How did you find the practicaility of the 3 dr compared to the 5?
    Loss of the rear doors was the main thing - I like being able to chuck stuff in and out with little hassle.

Once the rear seats were folded down (as I needed to instead of the magic seats being in the upright position) there was nothing in it if I'm honest. Just didn't really want to drop the rear seats everytime I've got a large(r)/tall(er) box to carry in the car.

If I had the TypeS first and had become used to that rather than the 5dr the story may be slightly different - but you never know something is missing until you go to use it and it isn't there

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information