• Enermax 720w
      • Case:
      • Lian Li G70
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x Dell 2408's
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100MB

New car help! (please!)

Right, I think I've posted 2-3 of these posts, and I still haven't changed my car... now is the time though, I promise!

Wish list below;

Budget Lookin at ~£10,000 (including p/x of current car ~£1000-£1500 ish)

Could be pushed though... I saw a 59 plate with 9K on the clock for 16K earlier... tempting! (vw passat highline 2.0 TDI)

Type: Saloon

Has to:

Good mpg (40+ - Ideally closer to 50-60)
    Full leather
    Climate control
    Comfortable for long journeys
    'Fun' to drive (if that's possible with the above)
    Be fairly sensible
    0-60 in under 10secs (8-9 would be nice!)

Prime candidates thus far are Honda Accord 2.2 Ex and VW Passat 2.0 (140ps) Highline (No climate control though)

Any other thoughts, links would be nice!

One question (if anyone knows) regarding the Passat;

I've read that a revision to the 2.0 Diesal engine came out around 2008... all I've read (parkers) is 'thats the one to go for' and 'you'll know it's that because it's quieter' - anyone know what the *actual* differance is?

Thanks!

Guy
    HEXUS.social member
    Thanks

Re: New car help! (please!)

Not sure I would put the words Passat and fun to drive in the same sentance. The only expection would be the 3.6 V6 Coupe!

Fair few choices, I'll have a hunt and post up some choices.

3. Received thanks from:

Gr44 (25-06-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gr44 View Post

Type: Saloon
    Has to:
    Good mpg (40+ - Ideally closer to 50-60)
    Full leather
    Climate control
    Comfortable for long journeys
    'Fun' to drive (if that's possible with the above)
    Be fairly sensible
    0-60 in under 10secs (8-9 would be nice!)

Prime candidates thus far are Honda Accord 2.2 Ex and VW Passat 2.0 (140ps) Highline (No climate control though)
    I had an Accord 2.2 for a few weeks and 'fun' to drive is not something I would have said, same with the Passats i've driven. They're both mile munchers - my boss had a new Passat and loved it, but then again it went in for the 36k service at about 8 months old.

For what you've listed 1st thought is BMW 320d. Your budget will get you the latest version on around 06-57 range with low miles (<40k) and it'll take some looking but you could get the leather and climate (or air-con at a minimum).

2.0 diesel / 60-ish mpg / 163 bhp / 0-60 8.3s / sensible / comfortable / drives like a BMW (RWD and doesn't think it knows better *cough*VAG*cough*)

Example :Slightly more expensive (£12,995) But a low mileage with Leather, Climate, and SatNav
    Last edited by Barakka; 24-06-2010 at 08:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mock Turtle
    “Reeling and Writhing, of course, to begin with, and then the different branches of arithmetic -- Ambition, Distraction, Uglification, and Derision."
    System:Atari 2600 CPU:8-bit 6507 (1.19MHz) RAM:128 bytes Colours: 16 (4 on screen) Resolution: 192x160

5. Received thanks from:

Gr44 (25-06-2010)

Mind that bus, what bus? Splat!
    Thanks
    • Gr44's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K Premium
      • CPU:
      • C2Q Q6600 G0 @ 3.68Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4x1GB Crucial Ballistix PC8500+
      • Storage:
      • 2x 500GB Spinpoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • Enermax 720w
      • Case:
      • Lian Li G70
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x Dell 2408's
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100MB

Hmmm, I had not thought of BMW yet; and that doesn't look half bad. Be nice to have something with a little more poke (and RWD is w1n!)

Just to offer a little more information, to explain my somewhat bi-polar 'wish list'

I've been driving my current car (2001 2L Astra SRi) for 4 years and it's still running fine, however for the past 9months ish I've been driving to a site my company has recently bought 2-5 days a week, which is 140 mile round trip.

Some issues with that;

Astra SRi is not comfortable for that kind of mileage.
    It drinks petrol, at least the way I drive it (50 litres get me 250 miles if I'm lucky)
    No cruise control and high motorway miles = points

The problem I have is I have no idea if I'm going to be doing this trip for another week, month or year... had I of known I was going to be doing it so long I've have bought something more suited a long time ago.

If I carry on going I can still get mileage expenses (40p a mile) and also get use of said car.

If I don't, I'll probably do ~10K in the next year and it'll be hardly worth it.

Bit of a gamble, hence my unusual request! (either way, I fancy something new!)

Thanks for the 320d idea though, I shall explore!

Thanks
    • chris_argyle's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B Premium
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4gb XMS2 6400 DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 96gb SSD & 2Tb storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSi 6870 Hawk
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone Decathlon 750
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ07
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64bit Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SyncMaster 245B
      • Internet:
      • O2 20meg

I've read that a revision to the 2.0 Diesal engine came out around 2008... all I've read (parkers) is 'thats the one to go for' and 'you'll know it's that because it's quieter' - anyone know what the *actual* differance is?
    Sounds like they are talking about when the VW brands moved from a Pump Duse type diesel engine to a common rail. The common rail engine gives a much smoother torque spike leading to a more progressive power delivery (closer to the characteristics of of a petrol). However I have a 1.9TDI (pump duse type) and although less refined I quite enjoy having the power arrive all at once!, I think it makes it feel faster.

HTH

8. Received thanks from:

Gr44 (25-06-2010)

Thanks
    • jjgreenwood's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus p6 Premium
      • CPU:
      • Intel 930 i7 4.0GHZ
      • Memory:
      • corsair ddr3 1600 6gb
      • Storage:
      • 80gb ssd 1tb samsung f3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • gtx480 sli
      • PSU:
      • corsair 1000w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone ft01s-w
      • Operating System:
      • win 7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Alienware Aw2310
      • Internet:
      • BT broadband

Yup cr engines start in 2008 they don't make a massive difference in my opinion have you considered jetta? I sell vw in swindon so could find a nice passat if you want one

10. Received thanks from:

Gr44 (25-06-2010)

Thanks

Just to offer a little more information, to explain my somewhat bi-polar 'wish list'

I've been driving my current car (2001 2L Astra SRi) for 4 years and it's still running fine, however for the past 9months ish I've been driving to a site my company has recently bought 2-5 days a week, which is 140 mile round trip.

Some issues with that;

Astra SRi is not comfortable for that kind of mileage.
    It drinks petrol, at least the way I drive it (50 litres get me 250 miles if I'm lucky)
    No cruise control and high motorway miles = points

The problem I have is I have no idea if I'm going to be doing this trip for another week, month or year... had I of known I was going to be doing it so long I've have bought something more suited a long time ago.

If I carry on going I can still get mileage expenses (40p a mile) and also get use of said car.
    I faced a similar dilemma myself recently, I have a 2003 Celica VVTLi and use it for day to day commuting (20 miles a day or so) but regularly go see my parents (every week or so) on a 90 mile round trip on the motorway. I considered similar to you are thinking, to swap for a Golf GT TDi or something to save on the fuel, but after looking into everything and thinking about it I realised that I just need to stop driving on the motorway like I do on an A Road.

TopGear did a test a few years ago racing a Toyota Prius and an M3 round the track, the Prius going for it, and the M3 just keeping up. The result was the Prius used more fuel than the M3, in other words don't buy a new car to slow you down and save money, just drive what you have slower.

That's what i've been doing this last month or so and i've gone from 230ish miles from a tank to last week getting 320 miles If you're getting 250 miles from 50 litres that's around 22mpg - a 2.0 astra should be easily capable of >30 mpg especially with motorway miles.

On a side note Cruise Control is a funny thing, I used it many times but the only time i've found it or real value is on the small InterState's in West Coast US, and the little Highways in New Zealand. Basically in situations where either there are no other vehicles around for miles but you want to stick to a low speed, or where it's a single lane carriageway with all the vehicles going at the speed limit. In the UK with busy roads and trucks going 20mph slower than the limit it just doesn't get used - unless you're driving north of the border or in the wee hours.

My advice would be before you go swapping your car for something you don't know is permanent try doing those work journeys in the inside lane letting everyone overtake you and driving as frugally as possible, not all the time just on those long journeys. It takes a bit of getting used to, but remember you're working, they won't pay you more for getting there quicker !
    “Reeling and Writhing, of course, to begin with, and then the different branches of arithmetic -- Ambition, Distraction, Uglification, and Derision."
    System:Atari 2600 CPU:8-bit 6507 (1.19MHz) RAM:128 bytes Colours: 16 (4 on screen) Resolution: 192x160

12. Received thanks from:

Gr44 (25-06-2010)

Thanks

BMW 320d

14. Received thanks from:

Gr44 (25-06-2010)

Thanks
    • Gr44's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K Premium
      • CPU:
      • C2Q Q6600 G0 @ 3.68Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 2x 500GB Spinpoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • Enermax 720w
      • Case:
      • Lian Li G70
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x Dell 2408's
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100MB

Quote Originally Posted by Barakka View Post
    I considered similar to you are thinking, to swap for a Golf GT TDi or something to save on the fuel, but after looking into everything and thinking about it I realised that I just need to stop driving on the motorway like I do on an A Road.
    Wait, don't drive on the motorway like you do on the A roads? Where is the fun in that (I know you're right )

TopGear did a test a few years ago racing a Toyota Prius and an M3 round the track, the Prius going for it, and the M3 just keeping up. The result was the Prius used more fuel than the M3, in other words don't buy a new car to slow you down and save money, just drive what you have slower.
    Yeah I remember that, although a big bucket, such as a Passat/E-Class/300C etc you'd be less inclined to hammer all over the place but enjoy the ride. Smaller cars often ask to be thrashed around the place.

That's what i've been doing this last month or so and i've gone from 230ish miles from a tank to last week getting 320 miles If you're getting 250 miles from 50 litres that's around 22mpg - a 2.0 astra should be easily capable of >30 mpg especially with motorway miles.
    Yeah, I seem to recall a distant memory of getting 420 miles from a tank when I drove to Newquay a good few years ago... very rarely even see 300 now, have seen under 200 before...

Part down to driving style, part down to car age (mostly down to driving style)

On a side note Cruise Control is a funny thing, I used it many times but the only time i've found it or real value is on the small InterState's in West Coast US, and the little Highways in New Zealand.
    Interesting comment, I've only used cruise control a handful of times, once in this country when I left at silly-o-clock in the morning. Several times in the US and Canada where I found it brilliant... that comment has made me question it's use over here though...

My advice would be before you go swapping your car for something you don't know is permanent try doing those work journeys in the inside lane letting everyone overtake you and driving as frugally as possible, not all the time just on those long journeys. It takes a bit of getting used to, but remember you're working, they won't pay you more for getting there quicker
    I know you're right... not sure that's how I'll play this out though!

Thanks for the comments all, will be interested to see what Mr Rasta comes back with

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

In the UK with busy roads and trucks going 20mph slower than the limit it just doesn't get used - unless you're driving north of the border or in the wee hours.
    Have to say that's not my experience - even in quite busy traffic cruise control is really useful, and I use it for both motorways and A roads that aren't too twisty. Sticking at a constant 70 or 60 is not only more economical, it keeps everything very predictable and helps everyone else around you. Dead handy for speed cameras as well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    Have to say that's not my experience - even in quite busy traffic cruise control is really useful, and I use it for both motorways and A roads that aren't too twisty. Sticking at a constant 70 or 60 is not only more economical, it keeps everything very predictable and helps everyone else around you. Dead handy for speed cameras as well.
    I suppose its cause i've used in the places I have where you set the speed and leave it for 4+ hours that I see it as limited use over here, as I know what it can do, if that makes sense ? I think I just find UK roads too unpredictable for it to be effective. Although it was very useful when I used to have to visit an office in Endiburgh reguarly with a 480 mile round trip, but only because the M74 is so quiet and boring until either end

Thanks
    • Bugbait's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z370 Auros Gaming 7
      • CPU:
      • Intel i8 8700K (Watercooled)
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 4000Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 EVO 500GB, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, SS 1TB, WD 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition
      • PSU:
      • Antec HCP-850 Platinum
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 900D (Dual D5 in series: 120.7 - EX360 + EX480) Noctua F & P12 Fans
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 31MU97
      • Internet:
      • VM Cable (100Meg)

Quote Originally Posted by usxhe190 View Post
    BMW 320d
    + (another) 1. Go test drive one if you haven't already. I'm a 330d man myself but you won't get the same mpg for your budget (will be older too). Arguably won't quite match a Merc for cruising on a motorway but for everything else (ie. enthusiastic driving) it blows them away. Arguably, the good part is 320d's are very popular executive cars due to their tax bracket so there are often a lot to choose from in the used market.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

I suppose its cause i've used in the places I have where you set the speed and leave it for 4+ hours that I see it as limited use over here, as I know what it can do, if that makes sense ? I think I just find UK roads too unpredictable for it to be effective. Although it was very useful when I used to have to visit an office in Endiburgh reguarly with a 480 mile round trip, but only because the M74 is so quiet and boring until either end
    Yeah I know what you mean - 30 minutes on cruise control seems short when you're used to 4+ hours! I use it even less than that actually - the A roads have roundabouts so I knock it off on approach and then just flick it on again on exit. It's definitely best for motorways or roads that you have driven before (my commute is very untwisty these days).

Thanks
    • Gr44's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K Premium
      • CPU:
      • C2Q Q6600 G0 @ 3.68Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 2x 500GB Spinpoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • Enermax 720w
      • Case:
      • Lian Li G70
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x Dell 2408's
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100MB

Hmmm, I'll have to try and find a 320d nearby I can have a drive of over the weekend!

Having had a quick look, it appears finding a 320d with leather/climate control may be difficult for my budget (was hoping for ~2006-2007 with less than 60K on the clock) but I guess I need to lower my expectations if I go down the BMW route

Question, not knowing much about how BMW label their cars... differance between 318d, 320d, 325d, 330d?

Not very up on BMW

Thanks again everyone, working tomorrow unfortunately but hoping I'll get chance to try a few cars out; will let you know how I get on!

Edit;

This seems to tick all the boxes... will give them a call tomorrow http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk...leRegLetter=56
    Last edited by Gr44; 25-06-2010 at 05:48 PM.

Thanks

Hmmm, I'll have to try and find a 320d nearby I can have a drive of over the weekend!

Having had a quick look, it appears finding a 320d with leather/climate control may be difficult for my budget (was hoping for ~2006-2007 with less than 60K on the clock) but I guess I need to lower my expectations if I go down the BMW route

Question, not knowing much about how BMW label their cars... differance between 318d, 320d, 325d, 330d?

Not very up on BMW
    They are just different engine sizes. Just go for a 320d. Fine for what you are doing I think.

Guy
    HEXUS.social member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by usxhe190 View Post
    They are just different engine sizes. Just go for a 320d. Fine for what you are doing I think.
    Technically not. The 316, 318, + 320 are all 2 litre engines, just in various tuned/detuned form. Hasnt been the case that the last 2 digits represent capacity for a while now. Would make it easier, but I don't quite think something like a 544i has quite the same ring to it!

Likewise (in latter form, as in early forms the 325's were actually 2.5's) the 325/330/335 are all actually 3 litre lumps, but in the case of the 335 it being twin blown. *I'm speaking about the diesels, the same mostly applies still to the petrol versions.

/BMW Geek rant over.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information