Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: British GP axed

DR
    Thanks

British GP axed

The British Grand Prix has been omitted from the Formula One calendar for the first time in the sport's history.

Silverstone is not on the provisional 2005 calendar, which must be ratified by the FIA world council on 13 October.

Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone reportedly wanted £8.9m from race organisers the British Racing Drivers' Club to host the race.

BRDC president Sir Jackie Stewart described the decision as "a disaster" and called on Ecclestone to rethink.

The BRDC had until Thursday to submit an offer to promote the 2005 Grand Prix but it was rejected, with Ecclestone scathing of the way Silverstone is run.

Ecclestone slams Silverstone
    "We're dealing with a gentlemen's club which is a bit short of gentlemen," he told ITV News.

If the decision stands it will be the first time Britain is missing from the Formula One calendar since the world championship began, at Silverstone, in 1950.

Stewart told BBC Radio Five Live: "Even at this late stage we would ask Mr Ecclestone and the British Government to think again and see if we can retain the Grand Prix for the sake of the industry, sport and the country.

I seriously think that it is possible there will be no Grand Prix in Great Britain next year
    Alex Hooton,
    BRDC chief executive
    "We've gone as far as we can in making cutbacks in other areas to be able to afford the Grand Prix because we feel it is very important for the country as a whole.

"The gap between money being asked for (by Formula One) and what we can offer is comparatively small - in single figures of millions - but the amount is unaffordable.

"The British Racing Drivers Club cannot afford the British Grand Prix at any price."

Stewart was also critical of the Government for failing to offer sufficient financial help to Silverstone.

"We've been in contact with the Government for nearly four years," said Stewart.

"Unlike in other countries where Grands Prix are hosted - these governments have assisted in hosting and promoting the Grands Prix - our Government has made a decision it does not wish to do that."

But the Government responded immediately, defending its record of investment in and around Silverstone.

A spokesman for the Department of Culture, Media and Sport said: "Clearly the Government supports and wants to see a British Grand Prix at Silverstone.

"But the current commercial negotiations about the promotion of the Grand Prix are a matter between the BRDC and Formula One.

"We have done everything, and will continue to, to help bring the parties together to discuss the matter.

"The Government has already made significant financial contribution to motorsport and Silverstone - in 2002 we invested over £16m to support the industry and £8m to improve road access around the track."

Alex Hooton, chief executive of the BRDC, said: "I seriously think that it is possible there will be no Grand Prix in Great Britain next year.

"Negotiations will continue but as things currently stand, the outlook is bleak."

The chief executive of South Northamptonshire Council, Rob Tinlin, said: "It is a huge disappointment for the area and it is a huge blow for the BRDC who have worked very hard to improve the circuit and keep the Grand Prix.

"It will have a big impact for the local economy as the race brings in £30m to the area each year."
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/3703350.stm

Thanks
    • DeludedGuy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte H87M-HD3
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 4440
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 1800mhz
      • Storage:
      • 250GB Samsung 840 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte R9 270 OC 2GB
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet Pure Power L8 600w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Dell U2414H
      • Internet:
      • 75Mb BT Infinity
    If they cant spend money to improve it, i dont blame them for cancelling it. Other countries make silverstone look like a dirt track.

Sublime HEXUS.net
    Thanks
    • Stoo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • 2*Xeon 5450 @ 2.8GHz, 12MB Cache
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 1600MHz FBDIMM
      • Storage:
      • ~ 2.5TB + 4TB external array
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 4870
      • Case:
      • Mac Pro
      • Operating System:
      • OS X 10.7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Samsung 244T Black
      • Internet:
      • Zen Max Pro
    That's not the reason why it was cancelled though, Bernie the money grabbing %%^£^ wanted nearly £9 million just to let F1 race there.. (Which seems a little backwards to me..)

Silverstone is still regarded as one of the best race tracks on the calendar, it's just the facilities need modernising.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks
    erm well lets see, we might as well screw over the f1 industry then, as a HUGE amount of F1 development work is done in this country, maybe in the race teams start disappearing abroad because of something like this then someone will do something....

I'd have to say i'm going to be livid if we don't get a british grand prix. I've always found them pretty exciting and at least in the top 10 grand prix of the year. It shouldn't be about money and all being on brand spanking new tracks. There should be good variation of tracks (and for me that does include monaco as well)

I hate ecclestone too, it shouldnt' be called F1, it should be called FE, the way he treats it...

And with Jaguar pulling out of F1 too, just look what he said about them..... Sooner we sort ecclestone out the better....

TiG
    -- Hexus Meets Rock! --

^-- I'm with stupid --^
    Thanks
    • Its wrong
    • Its disgusting
    • Its all about money
    • There is nothin wrong with Silverstone

I went their this year and I do not understand how it could be thought of as a rubbish or track not up to the standard. Its a classic racing track...explain how Monaco delivers more high-end or better standards to F1...that is cramped as hell.

I understand the sport has to be opened up to foreign markets...but surely not at the expense at a massive market he has here in UK. The F1 this year was a sellout, it was amazing...one of the most competitive and action packed races of the season.

In my opinion at the moment:

Britain should dis-own Ecclestone him as one of our own

No true racing fan would want Silverstone to go.

Thanks

- Very upset Tom
    tom@meangasoline.co.uk | RIP Zoltan

Canon 350d | 50 F/1.8 Mk II | 70-200 F/4 L | 1Gb Sandisk Ultra III

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TiG
    And with Jaguar pulling out of F1 too, just look what he said about them..... Sooner we sort ecclestone out the better....
    TiG

It wasn't just Jaguar though was it, had a bit of a pot shot at Jordan and minardi as well.

I have wonder if all this is just to get a few more column inches though.......

Thanks
    • Lowe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 4690K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M550 256GB and 1TB spindle drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit Geforce GTX1080 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 600w
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Silencio 352 m-ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7/Mac OSX
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" 1080p AOC, Oculus Rift CV1
      • Internet:
      • 200mb Virgin VIVID
    Silverstone shafted Brands Hatch a while back for the sole GP rights to the British GP. What goes around...

Thanks
    compared to the new chinese circuit, silverstone doesn't look very good. there's space for 18 f1 circuits per season. silverstone came at 19th.
    however, i watched the local news and someone affiliated with silverstone said that there is a covenant which states that four circuits must be present in every f1 season. monaco, somewhere, somewhere else and silverstone. only the heads of the f1 thingy can overturn this covenant. Bernie Ecclestone can't change this.

HEXUS consultant editor James Morris's Avatar
    Thanks
    F1 has become very boring, anyway. And this could be the final straw for me. I am so tired of seeing Ferrari win. Whilst Schumacher is a great driver, they also get the most subsidy from the F1A. That's one of the reasons why their team is so good. Perhaps if Minardi, Jaguar and Jordon got the subsidy Ferrari did then they might perform better. And if that money is coming from screwing Silverstone, then it's doubly unfair. I have stopped watching half the grand prix this season already. Maybe next season I'll stop watching the other half. It's really sad, because Grand Prix is a tradition in my family - my dad has been watching them since the first one in 1950 - at Silverstone.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by këö¬t
    Bernie Ecclestone can't change this.
    Dictators can do whatever they want. The only way that change will come is through the teams taking concerted action. I doubt that will happen though due to the old 'I'm alright Jack' syndrome.

Thanks
    Good, Formula One is tedious, maybe they can hold some interesting racing there instead. Invite CART or Nascar to race at Silverstone, that would be worth watching.

Rich :¬)

DR
    Thanks

Sublime HEXUS.net
    Thanks
    • Stoo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • 2*Xeon 5450 @ 2.8GHz, 12MB Cache
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 1600MHz FBDIMM
      • Storage:
      • ~ 2.5TB + 4TB external array
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 4870
      • Case:
      • Mac Pro
      • Operating System:
      • OS X 10.7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Samsung 244T Black
      • Internet:
      • Zen Max Pro
    Ahh, so it was just some sabre-rattling then..
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

^-- I'm with stupid --^
    Thanks
    Silverstone will be on the calender for next year.

I predict
    tom@meangasoline.co.uk | RIP Zoltan

Canon 350d | 50 F/1.8 Mk II | 70-200 F/4 L | 1Gb Sandisk Ultra III

Thanks
    But F1 is so boring- watch rally instead!
    Not around too often!

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks
    Where is the coverage tho?, if there was some proper programs with the rally on then i might, i loved seeing virtual spectator views a few years ago but that disappeared too in the last few seasons and mostly the rally stuff is only on at 1am or something stupid...

TiG
    -- Hexus Meets Rock! --

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information