• Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Re: VW in US about to be slapped with mammoth emissions fine

Quote Originally Posted by GuidoLS View Post
    Also of note - it's not the entire VW diesel line - just the Jetta and Passat, so it's not some witch hunt as intimated in a couple of posts... and this isn't exactly new... the first recalls on these vehicles were last December. And VW isn't screaming innocent victim here. They've just quietly made all the vehicles in question unavailable. So it kind of makes a person go hmmmm... maybe they weren't playing on the up and up... it wouldn't be the first time, foreign or American made.
    + Golf + Audi A3 (and presumably, SEAT Leon, Skoda Octavia if they are sold in that market)

What gets me is it's long been accepted that manufacturers cheat in emissions tests over here - they're allowed to have cars in all sorts of conditions that they aren't sold in - special oils, tyre prep, taped seams (even missing wingmirrors I think I read). In older days they used have special throttle maps that gave a dead spot at the old fixed speeds, so it looks like the modern equivalent is to detect testing conditions (fixed speed, low load?) and map equivalently. So nothing new and I'm glad someone has taken them up on it - even if inititated for anticompetitive reasons (Ford are massively guilty of unrealistic test figures over here, but it's allowed).

Thanks
    • DeludedGuy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte H87M-HD3
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 4440
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 1800mhz
      • Storage:
      • 250GB Samsung 840 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte R9 270 OC 2GB
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet Pure Power L8 600w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Dell U2414H
      • Internet:
      • 75Mb BT Infinity

MPG Figures are always dodgy, I never seem to get near what manufacturers state - could just be that I have a heavy right foot...

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb

Quote Originally Posted by Zak33 View Post
    not the exahust fumes... the rear fuel tank and axle danger from America
    Stick, wrong end of

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    I would be stunned if this wasn't just a continuation of something they do in Europe to game the system here.

But then, I would also suspect that all the manufacturers are gaming the system. Perhaps governments need better rules.
    Maybe governments should be pushing legislation for long term goals instead of short term goals...

Land Rover have designed (or purchased from Ford/BMW) at least a dozen different diesel powerplants in the last twenty years. Yes I'm talking about Land Rover again because I know bugger all about bugger all else

That's a new engine every two years give or take. Developing new engines isn't cheap either and even those bought off the shelf from elsewhere need testing and possibly modifying for different applications than those for which they were originally intended. I'm not going to waffle on about Landys, that's just an example...

Manufacturers across the board have spent a lot of money, a lot of years and a lot of brain power coming up with slightly more efficient ways to burn a resource we won't have for much longer in the grand scheme of things. There has to be a point where the law of diminishing returns kicks in doesn't there? A point where that money would be better invested in a long term solution i.e EV's that are more practical or renewable energy sources? Shouldn't legislation be pushing us towards that goal rather than saving us half a gram of Co2 here and there?

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Interestingly in the Ars article on the subject they say the BMW X5 that was tested passed OK: http://arstechnica.co.uk/cars/2015/0...heres-the-end/

So my previous guess was wrong, they don't all do it.

Thanks
    • GuidoLS's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • C2Q 9550 stock
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Corsair
      • Storage:
      • 2x1tb Hitachi 7200's, WD Velociraptor 320gb primary
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia 9800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750w
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Win10/Slackware Linux dual box
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 24" 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • AT&T U-Verse 12mb

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    + Golf + Audi A3 (and presumably, SEAT Leon, Skoda Octavia if they are sold in that market)
    Audi never publicly broke down the sales differences between the gas and diesel versions, so hard numbers aren't really out there, but everything I've looked at suggests that it's 10:1 gas:diesel, or roughly 2k diesel A3's sold in sales year 2015 - not a huge number in comparison to the VW's.

As for the Golf -

The problem is that there aren't enough 2015 Golfs on dealer lots yet, and people are waiting for them. That's why Golf sales tanked in July. A search on Cars.com reveals just 889 2015 Golfs on dealer lots at the moment in the U.S. Buyers are probably holding off until the new ones come in.
    That's 889 in total. Even with a 50/50 split, that leaves no more than 450 of the diesel version in the US, so that's (fortunately for VW) not even a statistical blip in overall numbers. The other 2 models you listed aren't brands that are sold here in the US.

What gets me is it's long been accepted that manufacturers cheat in emissions tests over here - they're allowed to have cars in all sorts of conditions that they aren't sold in - special oils, tyre prep, taped seams (even missing wingmirrors I think I read). In older days they used have special throttle maps that gave a dead spot at the old fixed speeds, so it looks like the modern equivalent is to detect testing conditions (fixed speed, low load?) and map equivalently. So nothing new and I'm glad someone has taken them up on it - even if inititated for anticompetitive reasons (Ford are massively guilty of unrealistic test figures over here, but it's allowed).
    That's what caused this discovery to happen - roughly 3 years ago, our EPA really cranked down hard on requirements, and finally had an administration that got them the money to start testing the way it should be. It was also the first time that our standards were tougher than EU standards - to the point that VW actually pulled many of their models of the market for 2 years, until they came up with this 'solution' for emissions.

Again, most of this isn't really new news - it's just busting out hard now because the US is mostly over the episode with GM and their billion dollar fiasco with ignition switches, and they haven't quite gotten around to burning Takata at the stake (yet - I'm betting there will be criminal charges here), so there's a slight lull in that news front. Ever since the Pinto, the US has been pretty stringent on what can be on the road. It's not perfect because the funding is still a political football, but it's a lot better than it used to be, on many fronts.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    Interestingly in the Ars article on the subject they say the BMW X5 that was tested passed OK: http://arstechnica.co.uk/cars/2015/0...heres-the-end/
    Could be due to what Knox stated.....they sell their engines to multiple manufacturers and are therefore accountable to them for performance/emissions.

Do VW make engines for anyone else? Are they also in cahoots?
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • Andy3536's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-880GMA
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95w @3.8
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1T WD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 4870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750
      • Case:
      • Antec P-182

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    Could be due to what Knox stated.....they sell their engines to multiple manufacturers and are therefore accountable to them for performance/emissions.

Do VW make engines for anyone else? Are they also in cahoots?
    VW as a group encompasses. Seat, Audi, Bently and Skoda. Aswell as others.
    That will be the next thing, as they all use largly (mabee not Bently?? ) the same engines. All the other Brands under the VW group will be under scrutiny.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

So all these cars will be recalled to have the engine management software replaced so they meet the emission standards, and will take a hit in performance (although maybe an improvement in economy) but if I'd bought a car on the backs of performance and that is now compromised, I'd be miffed, to the extent of ignoring the recall (although I suppose the emission tester can log the firmware version in use)
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks
    • GuidoLS's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • C2Q 9550 stock
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Corsair
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia 9800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750w
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • AT&T U-Verse 12mb

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    So all these cars will be recalled to have the engine management software replaced so they meet the emission standards, and will take a hit in performance (although maybe an improvement in economy) but if I'd bought a car on the backs of performance and that is now compromised, I'd be miffed, to the extent of ignoring the recall (although I suppose the emission tester can log the firmware version in use)
    I obviously can't speak to how the UK does things, but if there's a recall here, you can bet the emissions testing stations will be looking for proper software identification, so ignoring it is really not an option, unless you live in one of those areas that doesn't do emissions testings.

It was also revealed that with the software trick not enabled, the engines in question were kicking out some 40x the allowed amount of whatever nasties they test for, so I'd almost be willing to wager that it will be more than just a software change.

I think the only thing left in question is who is going to take a bigger chunk out of VW's butt - the US EPA or the EU whatever they call their regulatory agency. And there's a good possibility of jail time for someone(s). This was willful fraud, to the tune of multiple millions of dollars in the US alone - and reports are that the issue is MUCH bigger in the EU.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

In which case, the car was missold and you'd probably be entitled to a refund. More likely they will retrofit whatever improvements they can in order to claw back performance to approach levels before the cleaner emissions.

Thanks

In which case, the car was missold and you'd probably be entitled to a refund. More likely they will retrofit whatever improvements they can in order to claw back performance to approach levels before the cleaner emissions.
    Certainly agree with the mis-selling - I can almost here the class action lawyers in the US dusting off their suits ready for a feeding frenzy. I wonder if VW can reduce emissions AND maintain performance with those engines as the stand?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb

Quote Originally Posted by Andy3536 View Post
    VW as a group encompasses. Seat, Audi, Bently and Skoda. Aswell as others.
    That will be the next thing, as they all use largly (mabee not Bently?? ) the same engines. All the other Brands under the VW group will be under scrutiny.
    I think the only Bentley still fitted with a Bentley engine is the Mulsanne, which has the big old school V8 of yesteryear and probably runs on coal.... I don't think the EPA have an emissions test that covers steam engines so that one's probably in the clear

The Continental GT and the Flying Spur both had VW W12's and then later the smaller and lighter VW V8, both of which have been fitted to the VW Phaeton. The V8 has found its way into some Audis too if my memory serves me correctly. So there may be a bone to be picked there but in this case it seems to be the VAG diesel engines that are under scrutiny.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Certainly agree with the mis-selling - I can almost here the class action lawyers in the US dusting off their suits ready for a feeding frenzy. I wonder if VW can reduce emissions AND maintain performance with those engines as the stand?
    They *claim* the latest versions do, so a question of how much it takes to bring it to the slightly older version of the EA189 which is the one affected. It's designed to be a modular engine with various parts upgradable over the market lifespan to improve things.

Thanks

And IIRC, the engine management systems are made by Bosch.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS

I didn't realise we were talking about as much as a 40-fold difference between supposed & real emissions

Thanks
    • GuidoLS's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • C2Q 9550 stock
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Corsair
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia 9800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750w
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • AT&T U-Verse 12mb

Quote Originally Posted by directhex View Post
    I didn't realise we were talking about as much as a 40-fold difference between supposed & real emissions
    I saw the quotes on a couple of car tech sites, but since there's been so much posted in the last 3-4 days, I've had a hard time tracking it back down again - one of the perils of clearing cookies and history every time the browser shuts down. Will post links when I track it down again.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information