Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Moved to electric: My Tesla Adventure

Thanks

Re: Moved to electric: My Tesla Adventure

I spend a lot of time on the road, and would never use AirBnB. I need my reward points!

Thanks
    • tfboy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X470 Gaming Plus
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 2700
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX)
      • Storage:
      • Force MP600 1TB PCIe SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 560 Ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM 650W
      • Case:
      • CM Silencio 550
      • Operating System:
      • W10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP LP2475w + Dell 2001FP
      • Internet:
      • VM 350Mb

Thanks for your comprehensive reply. I find it a genuinely interesting read, seeing other people's points of view.

I realise I probably didn't get my primary reasons for BBCar clear enough. It's not for the money. I'd hardly call it a sweetener. I appreciate other people's company, but overall, it's most likely to be due to the car. To be honest, I probably wouldn't have thought of BBCar if I wasn't doing the long drive in the Tesla. Had I been doing it in my old Skoda Fabia, the desire to share the trip with others would have been a lot lower.

You clearly have 100% justifiable reasons - not that you'd need to justify them anyway - your driving factors and needs differ

Teepee, interesting. Having spend 4 years of my life working abroad in Paris on a long term project, I had had become so bored to death of the same hotel that changing to Airbnb was a breath of fresh air. Sure, I ended up with 4 or 5 "favourites" I would use if available, but as long as I had a hot shower and a comfy bed, it was good enough for me. I've found the encouters and new friends far more rewarding in the long run than reward points. And after spending every night of my working life in a sodding hotel, trust me, it's the last place I'd want to go to on holiday!

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

From your last post, tfboy, it appears we both have circumstances probably not typical of "most".

I can certainly see why yours would mitigate against hotels and in favour of AirBnB. I haven't spent as much as you, it appears, in hotels but have certainly spent enough to find them all much the same. Oh, for sure, the level of luxury varies hugely along with room rate and hotel class and I've sampled both ends of that spectrum and extensively in the middle, but somehow, they all have the same sort-of soulless feel.

Hotels are not an experience I enjoy, but a necessary burden I have to put up with in order to spend time where I want/need to, especially if it's just a few days at a time. I guess AirBnB has the advantage of not having that corporate-design soullessness. It's the other downsides that put me off. I might, in extremis consider renting an AirBnB-type place, but no way would I exchange, or rent my home out.

Thanks

I can definitely understand why some people don't enjoy hotels. There are positives and negatives to everything. I do enjoy them. Very much.

To put the value of rewards in perspective. I am spending tonight at a Marriott 'Autograph Collection' hotel, where my Platinum Premiere status got me upgraded to a suite, breakfast, and drink coupons. The $100 my company is spending on this will give me 1000 points, +500 for status, and another 4500 or so in promotional bonuses, for about 6000 points. Come the autumn, I'll turn about 360,000 Marriott points into a vacation package involving a First Class ticket on BA to London, and a hotel while I'm there. Something like $19,000 in 'value'. Of course, I wouldn't be flying First on my own money, so it probably is actually worth about $3k to me, but that still means I'll make about $50 tonight, just by sleeping in a comfortable hotel...

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    More worryingly, if the car has been .... driven hard .... what about unseen wear and tear. If some idiot emulates that TV company, not only does it wear out tyres but it has to put substantual loading on things like suspension, not to mention tyre and brake wear.
    Whether a modern car can be driven hard is a software setting with the way things are going. I gather from a co-worker who owned a Focus RS it even came with a special key to hand to eg young offspring which turns off all the performance trick features and limits power. So if a car knows it is being rented, it can take steps. Even my petrol car with manual gearbox has a control for turning the driving style down.

If money matters that much, why not just buy a £70k Merc instead of a £100k Tesla, and save the hassle?
    Some people have money because they avoid buying a depreciating asset and would rather have an income stream. Depends on how much of a bean counter you are. It wouldn't work for me, but I know people who consider it, though the idea may not survive the "wife veto" in the decision process
    Last edited by DanceswithUnix; 10-07-2017 at 08:52 AM.

Thanks
    • tfboy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X470 Gaming Plus
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 2700
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 560 Ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM 650W
      • Case:
      • CM Silencio 550
      • Operating System:
      • W10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • VM 350Mb

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    Whether a modern car can be driven hard is a software setting with the way things are going. I gather from a co-worker who owned a Focus RS it even came with a special key to hand to eg young offspring which turns off all the performance trick features and limits power. So if a car knows it is being rented, it can take steps. Even my petrol car with manual gearbox has a control for turning the driving style down.
    On mine, I have about 6 different levels of performance possible. Tesla added this through a semi-hidden user-selectable setting so that they could easily show the different levels of performance without requiring a physical car for each. Naturally, they only give you slower modes than the car you have, not faster

If you're really concerned, there is a "Valet" mode which really cripples performance, removes Autopilot, locks front trunk and glovebox and hides all personal favourites, addressbook, phone numbers, etc. It's PIN protected and can be activated / deactivated from the app on the phone. Of course, if I were to lend my car out, I wouldn't be using this, but it's good to have when leaving the car to people who'll park it for you.

Some people have money because they avoid buying a depreciating asset and would rather have an income stream. Depends on how much of a bean counter you are. It wouldn't work for me, but I know people who consider it, though the idea may not survive the "wife veto" in the decision process
    Sorry, Saracen, I missed your earlier comment. If it wasn't clear before, I'll make it clear now: I did NOT buy the Tesla with the aim of making it a source of revenue. There are other ways of investing £100k+ that will give you a better return (but a lot less fun!).

In terms of depreciation, Tesla have tended not to take quite so much of a hit, or rather when they do, it's not based on age or classic devaluation of other cars as the Tesla is different. Arguably, it gets better as time goes on with new software updates and features made available at no cost or inconvenience to the owner. A new software package arrives, is downloaded, then you choose when you want to install it (typically overnight). You come out the following morning to see what new toys and features have been added (or learn that it's bricked overnight ). My car will have taken a hit in value as it's no longer the highest performance one (superceded by the P100D) and is only Autopilot hardware version 1. But I'm not bothered about that. I'm very happy with it and as the retail price has only gone up, the cost to change is almost an extra 50% on top of what I paid!

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Well, we're certainly in the realm of gross over-simplifications, and sweeping generalisations, but my experience of people with money is that there are different mindsets going on.

For some, and it tends to be the nouveau riche, they are hyper aware of money, and things like cars are items of conspicuous consumption. They are, at least in part and often in large part, bought so as to be seen.

Others, and they tend to be the ones that come from serious family money, don't really give it much thought. They want something, say a car, they buy it, and it means little more than transport for getting A to B.

The first type aren't likely to rent their car out because it's a proud symbol of status too them. The second aren't likely to rent it out because the rental income is .... trivial.

Oh, and if you like deflating pomposity, try introducing a serious member of the first group to a member of the second group, and watch their facial expression at the growing realisation of, despite their posing, just how far they have to go.

Thanks
    • tfboy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X470 Gaming Plus
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 2700
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 560 Ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM 650W
      • Case:
      • CM Silencio 550
      • Operating System:
      • W10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • VM 350Mb

Oh, and if you like deflating pomposity, try introducing a serious member of the first group to a member of the second group, and watch their facial expression at the growing realisation of, despite their posing, just how far they have to go.
    LOL and yes, I agree. Fortunately, I don't feel I fall into either of those categories

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tfboy View Post

Sorry, Saracen, I missed your earlier comment. If it wasn't clear before, I'll make it clear now: I did NOT buy the Tesla with the aim of making it a source of revenue. There are other ways of investing £100k+ that will give you a better return (but a lot less fun!).

Oh, I'm sure you didn't. If you had, I'd suggest you were in dire need of good financial advice.

No, I read your account as having deliberated quite carefully, looked longingly at the Tesla and having gone for it, especially with the performance pack, because it was something you wanted and decided you could afford, and justify.

That's one reason I'm surprised you'd consider renting it out. Because it seems to be your pride and joy.

Over the years, I've bought a variety of (new);;; performance cars, from Capri 2.8is in the 80s, to M-series BMWs etc, as finances permitted, and as my 'pride and joy' there's no way I'd have considered renting them out given that the sums involved on any realistic basis are, in the scheme of things to someone that can afford fancy cars .... trivial.

Thanks
    • tfboy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X470 Gaming Plus
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 2700
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 560 Ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM 650W
      • Case:
      • CM Silencio 550
      • Operating System:
      • W10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • VM 350Mb

A bit of a bump / update.

My Tesla has now turned over 18 months and has over 30k miles. It's been massively fun, enjoyable, relaxing, etc.

The "bad" stuff is a few issues. Major one being the A/C that failed causing an immobilisation. Tesla picked it up a few hours later, I had a replacement BMW 320d the next day. Horrible thing! As I was planning a business trip to Paris a few days later and wanted to drive, I put a bit of pressure on Tesla, and after a little rant on the private owners' group Facebook page, I had an email from the CEO of Tesla Europe apologising and the very next morning, I had a Tesla loaner available I could use for my trip to Paris. Their CS might not be the best, they are often stretched and showing signs of growing pains, but their overall attitude and willingness to help is outstanding.

Other issue I had: 12V battery needed replacement. This was carried out by a "Ranger" - Tesla man-in-a-van who came round to my house and did the work.

Third issue I've had: boot lock failed. A bit annoying as the car thought the boot was open when it wasn't, disabling some convenience features and that occured on a Friday as I was driving back to the UK. As I was returning to Paris the following week, my local UK service centre liaised with Paris and I had it changed in Paris when I drove back the following Monday. They also applied a parking brake recall.

Finally: the sidelight on one headlight started failing. It's apparently a common issue with the first generation of LED headlights. Purely cosmetic, but needed sorting out. Oh and the 12V battery failed *again* Spoke to Tesla, they arranged for me to drive to the West Drayton sales / service centre on the 3rd January to change the battery. Whilst I was there, they changed the headlight too.

So five issues in 18 months isn't brilliant. But I'm letting it go and still really appreciate the drive. It doesn't seem to get "old". Every time, it puts a smile on my face.

The latest update provides a "Chill" driving mode where the car is rather slower, and response is far closer to a traditional ICE car. There was also the Christmas "ho ho ho" mode where the car on the dash changes to a Santa Clause & Sledge. Other traffic is changed to reindeers. Indicators have Christmas jingles in additional to the "tick tick". Yes, it's silly stuff, and some people would prefer the energy and effort is spent into other things, but I appreciate the slightly tongue-in-cheek stuff you get. It keeps things interesting and fun.

It's now nearly a year since I launched Xavelec, selling extension leads and adaptors specifically designed for EV charging. All of the customers have been Tesla owners and it's been really successful. I've moved into a business unit (owned by another Tesla owner) and the biggest plus, apart from getting my home lounge back after being taken over with cable reels and boxes of connectors, is the fact I can charge there as I still can't charge from home. That alone is just superb and I finally really appreciate the whole "car charges whilst you're doing other stuff" thing. As it's three-phase, it's pretty quick too.

Since my first trip to South West France documented early on in this thread, I've done it another three or four times. Every time, it's been a breeze with one notable exception: on one of my trips, as I reached Bordeaux, I discovered that the power supply to the Superchargers had died. It wasn't the site itself, but the EDF had a major issue and had cut all industrial power to the area. The charger is located at a Novotel and the staff at reception offered me to use their own charger, but it's a slow one requiring about 7 hours of charge so I could finish my journey. Maybe they were hoping to get a room reservation out of it! In the end, I declined and went hunting for another fast charger in the area. I found one, right by a nice church in the town centre. Charging with my CHAdeMO adaptor, it did need around 90 minutes as opposed to 45, but still a lot better than the 6 hours I would have needed at the hotel. During that time, I took some photography of the church nicely illuminated. This was whilst I was in the loaner.

Oh and I did spend one day on track with a load of Maseratis and Aston Martins. It was great fun. Took a few petrol heads out for a couple of laps and they were amazed. It's funny going around other cars on a track and hearing their V8 engines when you're cruising around silently!

I've also realised, I've become a bit of an EVholic. Having never owned more than one car before in my life, I now have the Tesla, and three other EVs reserved :O A Model 3, a Tesla Roadster (which I will probably cancel as I can't afford it!) and more recently, a Uniti. If you haven't come across them, worth a look. Super cheap city car with a briefcase-battery system for those that can't charge at home. Really neat concept and I hope it works out for them. https://www.uniti.earth/

11. Received thanks from:

DanceswithUnix (07-01-2018),peterb (07-01-2018)

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Major one being the A/C that failed causing an immobilisation. Tesla picked it up a few hours later, I had a replacement BMW 320d the next day.
    So not only is the Tesla still subject to many of the same failures as ICE cars, as I've always suggested, but their courtesy car policy is specifically designed to insult you??!!

Other issue I had: 12V battery needed replacement. This was carried out by a "Ranger" - Tesla man-in-a-van who came round to my house and did the work.
    Ranger..... yeah, I don't think I could take seriously any company that sends Aragorn out to fix your car!!

the car thought the boot was open when it wasn't, disabling some convenience features
    Even if it was, does this mean you can never tie the boot lid down with a 'long load' configuration?

Oh and the 12V battery failed *again*
    I thought these things were supposed to be awesome?

There was also the Christmas "ho ho ho" mode where the car on the dash changes to a Santa Clause & Sledge. Other traffic is changed to reindeers. Indicators have Christmas jingles in additional to the "tick tick".
    Did you request this, or do they muck about with your car without permission?

It wasn't the site itself, but the EDF had a major issue and had cut all industrial power to the area.
    Interesting incident to note, as we lose power quite a few times (as in 6+) a year round here thanks to damaged power lines. Usually trees, but other causes too.

Uniti thing looks curious.

Thanks
    • tfboy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X470 Gaming Plus
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 2700
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 560 Ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM 650W
      • Case:
      • CM Silencio 550
      • Operating System:
      • W10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • VM 350Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    So not only is the Tesla still subject to many of the same failures as ICE cars, as I've always suggested, but their courtesy car policy is specifically designed to insult you??!!

Ranger..... yeah, I don't think I could take seriously any company that sends Aragorn out to fix your car!!

Even if it was, does this mean you can never tie the boot lid down with a 'long load' configuration?

I thought these things were supposed to be awesome?

Did you request this, or do they muck about with your car without permission?

Interesting incident to note, as we lose power quite a few times (as in 6+) a year round here thanks to damaged power lines. Usually trees, but other causes too.

Uniti thing looks curious.
    Tesla try to give you a Tesla loaner whilst warranty work is carried out. They didn't have one "immediately" to hand so arranged for the BMW to be delivered to my home address the following morning, pending sorting out a Tesla. As I had broken down at my friend's house, the recovery truck picked up my car and took it to Tesla. I then took a taxi home, and upon Tesla's request, sent them a copy of the receipt which they promptly refunded.

Don't ask me why they call their remote technicians Rangers.

The 12V battery is lead-acid. So old tech. You'd think they'd use a Li-ion one as they build the packs themselves, but no, they rely on this third party thing which clearly fails. I've been told I might have had a first batch of dodgy replacements. The new one fitted a few days ago *should* be fine and if I have an issue with it, it might be something with the car which they'll investigate. But I'm hopeful it's just a dodgy battery.

The "ho ho ho" thing is part of the regular OTA software updates. I don't request it, they push it out to the car. In fact, I can't request any software update, it's a 100% "push by Tesla" and there's no "pull by customer" approach. This allows them to stage the rollout in batches and catch anything that might have slipped through QA. The "ho ho ho" thing is only activated if I request it. If I don't, then I'll never see it. It's just another "easter egg" they've bundled in. It might go away in an update over the next month as we're past the Christmas period, I don't know yet

Thanks
    • Xlucine's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus TUF B450M-plus
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB @ 3.2 Gt/s
      • Storage:
      • Crucial P5 1TB (boot), Crucial MX500 1TB, Crucial MX100 512GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980ti
      • PSU:
      • Fractal Design ION+ 560P
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • W10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic vx3211-2k-mhd, Dell P2414H

What's the 12v for?

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xlucine View Post
    What's the 12v for?
    Auxiliary systems. (Wipers, heater motor, indicators, window winders, radio, air bags, instrumentation etc etc)
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks
    • tfboy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X470 Gaming Plus
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 2700
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 560 Ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM 650W
      • Case:
      • CM Silencio 550
      • Operating System:
      • W10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • VM 350Mb

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Auxiliary systems. (Wipers, heater motor, indicators, window winders, radio, air bags, instrumentation etc etc)
    Yup, except for the heater motor (?)
    The battery heater and the cabin heater / AC is powered directly from the 400V main battery. Seat heaters are from 12V though
    Whilst not used for the main motors, the computer systems and battery management system are powered from the 12V battery, so should that fall below a certain charge level, the car's computers won't be able to run.
    The 12V battery is normally charged from the main battery via DC-DC converters. Should you leave the car unplugged for a very long time, or not charge it when main batter is low, it will power down systems and eventually stop maintaining the 12V battery's charge to preserve the energy for itself (so as not to damage it due to excessive discharge). In some cases where cars are left unplugged for many many months, they will effectively be immobilised due the 12V battery being flat.

Another side effect of this is that should you have a completely flat main battery, turning up at a Supercharger or rapid DC charger won't help as you need the BMS (battery management system) to manage the DC charge. In this case, you need to either charge the 12V battery directly, or charge via the car's port on AC power which will then be able to charge the main battery a little bit which can then in turn power up the BMS at which point you can switch to rapid DC charging.

It's only on very rare occasions though or with severe neglect that this happens. When it does to owners, it only happens once and they ensure it doesn't happen again

17. Received thanks from:

peterb (08-01-2018)

Thanks
    • Butcher's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 Gaming 3
      • CPU:
      • i7-4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8 GB Corsair 1866 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 120GB SSD, 240GB SSD, 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650W
      • Case:
      • Big Black Cube!
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    Maybe they were going for US army rangers as their inspiration?

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread Information